Home Cigar 101

Bead problem

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
So I moved all my cigars into my Cabinet with no problems a couple months ago. I getting my 100ct ready and I charge my beads (which slowly lost charge). Then after a little bit I noticed a pungent odor in my 100ct and narrowed it down to the beads. So I went and got my other beads and same thing. So I got a drymistat tube and put it in as there are only 20 sticks in there. Any ideas with the problem?

Comments

• jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I am not sure what your odor is but I did notice that some of my beads that I had in an open cup in a humidor did turn yellowish brown but still seem to work ok.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Huh heard of this with cigar machanics stuff but that's about it...are you using heartfelt??
    Money can't buy taste
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Dump the beads and use Boveda Packs . I promise you wont be sorry and they are the model of consistency . Impossible to screw up - drop and forget - change every 10-12 weeks and you are done . Free to pursue other more important things like -smoking cigars !!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    what type of container do you have your beads in? and it might seem like a dumb question but you have only used distilled in there right?
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I've been using the same beads for over a year now.They have taken on a yellow color. The only odor I noticed was is a tobacco smell. No plans to retire them any time soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Scarlin, I had a similar problem in which my beads were absorbing the shower gel perfumy odor in the humid air when my wife showered. They turned yellow and stank. That's when I had my 100 count in the bedroom upstairs.

It did eventually take out 20+ cigars before I noticed it but I tossed the beads and purchased new ones and moved the humi downstairs. I no longer have that problem but maybe where you have it stored now is picking up odors from where it sits now like mine did. Good luck.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    It is in the tube that they come with. I am not going to use them. How long to boveda packs last? Since CCOM is out should i just go with the gel jar?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    It is in the tube that they come with. I am not going to use them. How long to boveda packs last? Since CCOM is out should i just go with the gel jar?
    Sucks about the beads, dude. That's weird, maybe you got a bad batch/something went wrong during manufacturing....

I think the boveda packs last about 3 months.

FWIW - Personally, I'd recommend gel since you don't have to replace it every few months like boveda packs. That's the one thing that turns me off to Boveda, you guaranteed have to keep buying more.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Never had this problem, but the yellowish tint some pick up is common and happens to mine without any Ill effects. Just natural from the cigar moisture they can suck up in 2 way control. I've never really heard of beads having odor issues, just cat litter, so I would assume they absorbed some scent from the ambient area.

The more likely scenario is possibly you over-soaked them since you stated you were using for seasoning. If they were over-charged with water they can develop a musty moldy type odor. That's why I always do LESS charging than you think they need. Just 1 or 2 sprays, its better to need to add more distilled than have too much and ruin your beads.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Sorry dub post. This also answers possibly your other post of "is 75rh too high?" Yes moldy musty issues are going to occur at that high level. Buy 65 beads and your problems will disappear and your cigars will smoke like you never believed. You will think you just found cigar land shangri-la.