Home Cigar 101

Spitting

Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
My brother has benn trying to convince me to spit when I smoke even though I tell him that when he does that he is losing most of the flavor of the cigar. I'd this a valid point and that is a habit he needs to break or should I just ignore it?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    do what you have to do.

i never spit while smoking.

neither of you need to convince either of anything. its about what brings you, personally, enjoyment.

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, cigars are funny in that they're meant to be enjoyed but there are so many rules and theories about how best to enjoy them, when all you really need to do is kick back and do what you do. I spit when I smoked black and milds in high school, but I generally don't anymore.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm not sure how spitting helps the process of smoking a cigar. That said, if it helps him enjoy it, then so be it. I'm sure we all have our little quirks when it comes to cigars.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Some cigars make me salivate quite a bit and I like to smoke very dry so I end up spitting fairly regularly. Especially if I'm not drinking anything.

Beta, most of the "rules" only apply when in the presence of others, i.e. at the tobacconist. They are etiquette more than rules and typically have a good reason behind them. A good example of this is to set your cigar down and let it go rather than stamping it out. The reason behind this is that when stamped out a cigar emits a foul odor, ruining the smoking experience of those around you.
    Now there are different schools of thought on different things, like cutting or lighting your cigar but they are hardly rules.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I remember something about spitting while smoking a cigar I heard years ago. Supposedly the concept was if you spat while smoking it 'cleared' the palet for the next draw and you would get more flavor. I have tried this as a novelty and did not see ANY difference one way or the other. As most on here will tell you smoking stogies is about relaxing and not worrying about rules or nonsense like that (other than the few do's and don'ts that effect taste) don't worry about what others do just do what works for YOU !!!
    gmill880:
    I remember something about spitting while smoking a cigar I heard years ago. Supposedly the concept was if you spat while smoking it 'cleared' the palet for the next draw and you would get more flavor. I have tried this as a novelty and did not see ANY difference one way or the other. As most on here will tell you smoking stogies is about relaxing and not worrying about rules or nonsense like that (other than the few do's and don'ts that effect taste) don't worry about what others do just do what works for YOU !!!
    Bingo!
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I guess maybe the word rules isn't right, probably more like rituals. Everyone sort of has their own thing.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    madurofan:
    Some cigars make me salivate quite a bit and I like to smoke very dry so I end up spitting fairly regularly. Especially if I'm not drinking anything.

This right here is the reason I spit. Only other time is when either some tar or tobacco gets in my mouth.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    I remember something about spitting while smoking a cigar I heard years ago. Supposedly the concept was if you spat while smoking it 'cleared' the palet for the next draw and you would get more flavor.
    if you really want to cleanse the palate you should drink a bit of milk or water. this will bring your mouth closer to a neutral PH. as you puff on a cigar the alkaline smoke of a cigar will slightly impact the PH of your mouth. your taste buds get used to the change in PH (much like your nose gets used to a smell after a while) and you dont taste the cigar as well. water or milk will bring it back towards neutral, thus making you mouth able to taste the cigar better.
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    I remember something about spitting while smoking a cigar I heard years ago. Supposedly the concept was if you spat while smoking it 'cleared' the palet for the next draw and you would get more flavor.
    if you really want to cleanse the palate you should drink a bit of milk or water. this will bring your mouth closer to a neutral PH. as you puff on a cigar the alkaline smoke of a cigar will slightly impact the PH of your mouth. your taste buds get used to the change in PH (much like your nose gets used to a smell after a while) and you dont taste the cigar as well. water or milk will bring it back towards neutral, thus making you mouth able to taste the cigar better.

Interseting
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I never, ever spit. Even if it did help me enjoy a cigar, I probably wouldn't do it. It's a disgusting habit. Just swallow it.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    If I'm smoking a cigar that makes me overly salivate I spit. If not I don't. When I can I take a drink instead.
    MAJORdorMo:
    I never, ever spit. Even if it did help me enjoy a cigar, I probably wouldn't do it. It's a disgusting habit. Just swallow it.
    I've never understood this argument, I'm a man if I feel the need to spit or scratch my nuts I will, dammit.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    MAJORdorMo:
    Well it's better than one of my smoking buddy's habits, instead of spitting, he'll take a drink of water, gargle, then spit all that in front of him. What's usually in front of him? The area where we are resting our feet. He may have broken the habit, I haven't seen him in close to a year.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    madurofan:
    MAJORdorMo:
    I've never understood this argument, I'm a man if I feel the need to spit or scratch my nuts I will, dammit.

Amen!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    madurofan:

brc81:
    If I'm smoking a cigar that makes me overly salivate I spit. If not I don't. When I can I take a drink instead.
    Same with me - if I have a drink, I just swallow; but otherwise I salivate too much and need to spit (swallowing without a drink just makes me feel sick)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I never feel the need to spit, maybe I am a dry smoker...if there is such a thing.
    brsmith21:
    madurofan:
    MAJORdorMo:

Amen!

It sounds more disgusting to me to swallow than to spit ....heyyyyyyyyy wait a minute ...we talking about cigars or floozies ....
    gmill880:
    brsmith21:
    madurofan:
    MAJORdorMo:

Amen!

It sounds more disgusting to me to swallow than to spit ....heyyyyyyyyy wait a minute ...we talking about cigars or floozies ....
    Thats what I was thinking.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    Mean girls spit and nice girls swallow is a saying about cigars right?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    0 That Guy 0:
    Just stay away from biters.
    Luko:
    0 That Guy 0:

and braces ...I'm just sayin'.....
    gmill880:
    Luko:
    0 That Guy 0:

Hey biting may be his cup of tea but braces, yea that ain't ever good. Especially at you two's age. :-P
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

gmill880:
    Luko:
    0 That Guy 0:

Woah Nelly. What age girls are you going after, or is this turning into one of those post warning young guys like me?

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭

I used to spit when outdoors, but then I saw my 1 year old son imitate me, so I stopped.