Home Ratings & Reviews

Good cigar and book

Picked up Kill Zone this weekend.  A hard core military/political thriller novel.   Excellent read.

Also, smoked a AF Hemingway Classic maduro yesterday afternoon while closing out the book.   Cigar was as good as the book.  It was even worth the twenty some odd dollars I paid for it.

Comments

• MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I was considering reading a book while smoking once, but I thought that the cigar would distract me from the book. I may reconsider now. ^_^
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    It's actually a really nice way to relax. Go ahead and give it a whirl!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    I was considering reading a book while smoking once, but I thought that the cigar would distract me from the book. I may reconsider now. ^_^
    For me, it is the other way around, often the book distracts me from the cigar. Reading helps you moderate your smoking pace too, not that I'm assuming you smoke fast or anything, just saying it does.
  • It depends on the book for me. If I'm reading a novel then the book and cigar complement each other. Before I've read one of my college textbooks while smoking and the cigar distracted me from the book. CK
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I love a good smoke and a good book with a cup of coffee. They all fit well together. As a matter of fact I think I'll step out when I wake up in the morning and have a cup of coffee, a Sol Cubano Cuban Cab, and start on my new book.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Speaking of which I need to re-read The Complete Hitch Hikers Guide... Im thinkin that a Padilla Habano would go well with that.
  • adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    Agreed.  A good book, cup of coffee, and nothign to do compliment a cigar quite nicely!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I love a Cigar and a book or a pipe and a book, but nothing quite compliments a cigar like a newspaper. One of my favorite things is sitting on my back deck in the morning with the newspaper and Cusano 1997 or Sol Cubano Maduro. I keep looking at the new Kindle but there is something about the smell of the newspaper.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im a fan of cigar and radio. Music, talk, sports... heck, on the right day NPR can even sound good with a good cigar.
    My wife is working for the local NPR/PBS station now. I've started listening to support her job, its not half bad, we've even watched a few really good things on PBS.
    my biggest issue with NPR is the soft muted tones they always talk in. it just feels snobbish to me. PBS im ok with.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I sat under the overhang on the patio in my backyard, while it POURED around me, thunder, lightening, and smoked a 5 Vegas Miami while reading Zombie CSU. Great Experience.
    I want to build an overhang over my deck so bad, just for that reason. I have great memories as a kid sitting on my grandparents back porch while it rained.
    There is something really beautiful about the rain, and the sound it makes when it falls, and how quiet everything is. I remember doing habitat for humanity in Mississippi for a few weeks, and it hadn't rained in a couple of days. Finally, a big old storm comes in, and pours. I sat outside under the roof I'd put up that day, and it felt like the entire earth smiled. I love the rain, I love thunder. No ****.
    im the same way. in the summer i watch the weather and try and time my smokes so that in the final 1/3 of the smoke the storm is reaching my house. a storm rolling in is one of my favorite natural events.
    Yeah, it's cool how ominous and yet peaceful it can look. Except when you see that eerie green light coming from it, that creeps me out.
    yeah... and its been more than once where i decided to go in only after the lightning struck only 100 or so feet away. that freaks me out every time.
    I love storms. Last September me and a buddy sat on the screened porch of my beach house and watched a tropical storm roll in and through. We smoked cigars all weekend and watched, it was great!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I've been watching some lightning storms roll thru my area last couple of weeks smoking in my garage doorway. I don't drink too heavily though in case I get drilled by lightning .....so at least I can have enough wits about me to call 911 from my cell phone OR scream like a beeyatch for my wife !!!!!!
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    405bench:

Picked up Kill Zone this weekend.  A hard core military/political thriller novel.   Excellent read.

Also, smoked a AF Hemingway Classic maduro yesterday afternoon while closing out the book.   Cigar was as good as the book.  It was even worth the twenty some odd dollars I paid for it.

Mmm!  I love the AF Hemingway cigars.  By far, my favorite line of cigars.  I'm gonna be smoking a Work of Art Maduro on my walk back home once I get out of work.

But $20???  You need to come to Philadelphia, my friend.  Holt's Cigar Company in downtown Philly is one of the nicest B&M shops in the country, and gets high volumes of limited release cigars like the Hemingway maduros.  They sell the maduros for the same price as the cameroon wrappers ($7.25 per stick).  It's worth the flight to Philly just to stock up on hard-to-find cigars.