Home Cigar 101

Need a hygrometer. Any suggestions?

Going for a digital hygrometer. Are they all the same or are some more precise/accurate than others?

Comments

• insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I have a crappy cheap one I picked up for about $9 which is a bit big for me personally. I also have a Xykar one that is much smaller and can be salt tested and calibrated which ran me about 2.5 times the cheaper one. The plus's on the Xykar are it's smaller and you can calibrate it. That in mind the cheapy is only off by 1% after salt testing it... the Xykar is set exactly as you can change it. In my short body of experience I find most digital hygrometers are pretty close to accurate. I would try to shoot for one with a thermometer built in though. Just my 2 cents.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    PhiAlpha1857:
    Going for a digital hygrometer. Are they all the same or are some more precise/accurate than others?
    There are plenty that are good out there, but the best advice is to get one that is ADJUSTABLE. Even if you get one that is stable, but reads 4% off, it will work, but you will always have to add/subtract whatever % it is off. IF you get a adjustable, you just click it over 4 notches and then it reads accurately and you don't have to worry. The Hygro-Set ones that Cigar.com sells are the ones that I use, I also have two in my humidor to make sure that if one fails, the other is accurate.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I have a Western Caliber II digital, and I highly recomend these.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Hard to go wrong with a Xikar or Humi Care
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Caliber III digital, I've got a few for mine and they're great. Easy to find and inexpensive.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Any hygrometer will work my friend - as long as you calibrate it. Just depends on what you want to spend on one. While the suggestions you've gotten so far are all good ones, an el cheapo that you cant adjust will work just fine. Use the salt test, find out how far off 75% RH it is, and write that on the hygro with a sharpie.

IE: Lets say when you do your salt test, the hygro is reading 79%. Just write "Add 4" on the hygro, and voila! You're in business.

If you do want to come off a little change for one, I recommend the ROUND style hygro from Xikar. They tend to hold calibration for a long time with no variance, and the one-touch calibration adjustment cant be beat!

Hope this helped. :-)

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I use the Xikar digital
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    I have a Western Caliber II digital, and I highly recomend these.
    I got one of these off eBay for 10$ and it works famously.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Any hygrometer will work my friend - as long as you calibrate it. Just depends on what you want to spend on one. While the suggestions you've gotten so far are all good ones, an el cheapo that you cant adjust will work just fine. Use the salt test, find out how far off 75% RH it is, and write that on the hygro with a sharpie.

IE: Lets say when you do your salt test, the hygro is reading 79%. Just write "Add 4" on the hygro, and voila! You're in business.

If you do want to come off a little change for one, I recommend the ROUND style hygro from Xikar. They tend to hold calibration for a long time with no variance, and the one-touch calibration adjustment cant be beat!

+1 I use cheap ones with temps...I really only use it for the temp since I'm a big boveda guy and trust them. Plus you can tell after a bit of practice by gently squeezing the stick. But in my head temp is the main issue
    Money can't buy taste
    I just found that my hygro was off by 4% after a salt test, one of my humi's was a tad dry over the holiday weekend. I am currently salt testing two Xikar rectangle Hygros and they are pretty nice. Superb build quality and are adjustable... I'm impressed with them so far.
  • Strongly recommend one that's calibrate-able. Xikar digital is my favorite, but their little rounds ones are good too. I purchased two Western Digital Cailbre IIIs, and they read 3% different. One reads about 1% below, and the other about 2% high after 48hrs. Generally, I just know to add or subtract from the readout, but its annoying. The Xikar I can calibrate, set, and not have to do the (albeit simple) math when looking at it.
    Lasabar:
    I just found that my hygro was off by 4% after a salt test, one of my humi's was a tad dry over the holiday weekend. I am currently salt testing two Xikar rectangle Hygros and they are pretty nice. Superb build quality and are adjustable... I'm impressed with them so far.
    Welp, hold onto that thought.... These two xikar rectangles won't calibrate for shlt... I click on calibrate and then about a minute later they go back to their original setting... I emailed Xikar, we'll see what happens.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

Just got mine today!