Home Cigar 101

How many of these cohibas are real?

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
To my eye three of these bands look legit but that one looks a little off in both the dots but also the font of the writing. Could it be that its older or do you think its possibly fake?

image IMG-20120905-00219 by bgoldylocks, on Flickr

Comments

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Top two look really fake (extra black above dots), 3rd I question a little due to the "B" in "habana" and the cut off top black area near dots. The last one looks the most legit except from this pic the "COHIBA" look off
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom one doesn't seem to be embossed at all, so I'd question it.
    Next one up, the black border on the white dots seems to be cut really close to the white dots, like the authentic ones, so I'd be most likely to call that one authentic. I could be wrong though.
    Second one from the top, close, but no embossing on any of the lettering. I'd be worried it wasn't real.
    Top one. No embossing on lettering and white dots are off. My opinion, it's fake.

So how'd I do? Did I pass or fail miserably?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Bottom one doesn't seem to be embossed at all, so I'd question it.
    Next one up, the black border on the white dots seems to be cut really close to the white dots, like the authentic ones, so I'd be most likely to call that one authentic. I could be wrong though.
    Second one from the top, close, but no embossing on any of the lettering. I'd be worried it wasn't real.
    Top one. No embossing on lettering and white dots are off. My opinion, it's fake.

So how'd I do? Did I pass or fail miserably?
    There is some serious knowledge flying around here!
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

You need to post complete cigar picture from the head to tail. Cohiba releases couple Limited Edtion:

LE 2001 Piramid shape and the COHIBA name was in black not gold color. So the LE 2001 is fake.LE 2006 is also Piramid shape with golden COHIBA name. In your picture, there is a white spot in H. Most probably fake.

LE 2011 is also know as Cohiba 1966. It should have a pig tail. I need complete picture to identify the authenticity. Same for the fourth cigar. Hope this helps.
    Goldy:
    To my eye three of these bands look legit but that one looks a little off in both the dots but also the font of the writing. Could it be that its older or do you think its possibly fake?

image IMG-20120905-00219 by bgoldylocks, on Flickr
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    It may also help to know where they came from/how you came about them.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Are those C's in cuba crossing their bottom curl? The top two look like they are, which I thought meant fake?
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The second from the bottom is real!. JMO
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    the best i can do is have you send me all 4! i will smoke them, 1 at a time , of course, and then tell you which of them i think are real
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    reggie713:
    the best i can do is have you send me all 4! i will smoke them, 1 at a time , of course, and then tell you which of them i think are real
    The one that isn't made with rolled up newspaper and dog *** is the real one. Enjoy smoking poop and ink.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    The 11 is the only one that looks legit to me, but we need bigger pictures
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there some kind of "guide" with all these neat little rules? I've seen a few videos and things online dealing mostly wth Cohiba Behikes (like what the box should look like, how the holo looks) but have never seen anything like a comprehensive set of things to look for on specific lines to determine their legitimacy. Would it be bad taste to have a "guide to CC's" thread on here, since really some of us shouldn't be looking anyway ;)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    Is there some kind of "guide" with all these neat little rules? I've seen a few videos and things online dealing mostly wth Cohiba Behikes (like what the box should look like, how the holo looks) but have never seen anything like a comprehensive set of things to look for on specific lines to determine their legitimacy. Would it be bad taste to have a "guide to CC's" thread on here, since really some of us shouldn't be looking anyway ;)
    This is the one I look at, as I have no first hand knowledge of what they should look like. I think some here just open their humidors and check :P.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Gray4lines:
    This is the one I look at, as I have no first hand knowledge of what they should look like. I think some here just open their humidors and check :P.
    Is that link right? It took me to CA, but no article or anything. Of course having one right in front of your face to reference is best!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    jthanatos:
    Gray4lines:
    Is that link right? It took me to CA, but no article or anything. Of course having one right in front of your face to reference is best!
    Fixed the link
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. I'll take some better photos when I get home today.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    For the record I just want to say I was serisusly taken to Fake Choiba School in about 5 minutes. The info in this thread was astounding. Thank You!
    My thoughts are that number 1 is fake due to the dots being cut off on the band and the text being a different font. I'm a little on the fence about number 2 because the font is good where it says havana in cursif but it has extra black above the dots which might just be a cutting error. Do cutting errors happen with bands?

Number 3 is legit and therefore I think number 4 is also legit as the bands are identical.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    What is all this guessing for? Is this stuff in your collection that you hope is real? Is this a deal you are considering buying, what?
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    It may also help to know where they came from/how you came about them.
    If we eavesdrop on the conversation on the beach in mexico, then perhaps we can shed some light and be a better judge of the authenticity. "hey man..you wanna buy some cigars? real good ones...pretty cheap, but i need money..my daughter is sick, so i need to liquidate some cigars oh yeah, real sad, but the doctors for her specialized medical needs are expensive so i just gotta get what i can.....yeah i know that it seems to good to be true, but there are angels everywhere, and i just need some cash.....oh yeah, well these were special edition ones, my brother in laws, neighbours friend knows this guy who used to work @ the factory so i have real solid connections and know these are legit....oh the glass top box...oh yeah, remember i said they were special edition...well they came in this exclusive case...think they were to be aimed @ the uber-rich, or heads of state or something...he took quite a risk getting them out of the factory....oh, the cello's...hmmm, yeah that is part of the aging process they use on all legit cubans...you know, they make, age them for decades, so they aint green...like those fake ones you buy for big bucks that r filled with cuban scraps, dog poop and other bugs they sell to unsuspecting tourists....oh yeah, the lettering...u see these are actually prototypes of the new labels...that is how exclusive these are, they are all slightly different labels, dots sizes, font on Havana and even the gold embossing on Cohiba is different on all those i am letting you have the opportunity to buy from me...i really dont wanna sell em...but u know i gotta....for my daughter....so how many glass-toped boxes you want...i can cut you a deal if you buy 100 or more :) " **note if you are still reading....i agree with the other botls that they seem to be fakes....for those and a few more reasons...if in doubt...assume they r, freeze them and dont mix with your others....sacrifice them, being aware that if they dont taste good right away...they r not real.
    Diamondog:
    What is all this guessing for? Is this stuff in your collection that you hope is real? Is this a deal you are considering buying, what?
    These are sticks I am trying to verify that are currently in my collection.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    hope you realized i was only having some fun. I hope they are real...but i am not sure. Hope no offense was taken...and that we can all just get back to normal around here. I can send you some that i know are real...but with the current pics it is too hard to tell.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I'm with several others on this. Looks like the top 2 have the curly going through the C in cuba ?? Bottom one doesn't look right with the cohiba name. But hard to know for sure from photos.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    bearb:
    hope you realized i was only having some fun. I hope they are real...but i am not sure. Hope no offense was taken...and that we can all just get back to normal around here. I can send you some that i know are real...but with the current pics it is too hard to tell.
    I quite liked your story.
    Rain:
    bearb:
    I quite liked your story.
    I assumed he had been stalking Goldy to Mexico. Listening at a discrete distance.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    If you got them all from the same place, at the same time, then they are all fakes. The top 2 can't be real. The font and the sloppy cut on the label gives them away.
    The third one down, the dots are not sharp. They should be square, and the image seems to have rounded corners. The font for the "C" in Cuba is all wrong as well. The bottom one lacks the embossing on the COHIBA and it looks almost a bigger ring gage than the others...and even the Esplendidos is not a fat ring size, so I can't figure out what size that's supposed to be.

I have to say that even Cohiba can have slightly different levels of ink in the Habana Cuba sections. Some years the label text can appear darker or lighter than others, but only slightly and that is only drawn from personal experience with Cubans over the last 30 years or so. The cigars in your picture seem to have a different label for each stick, and that is too much difference for the factory to accept.

No one likes to be told that their cigars are fakes, so I feel for you. Don't buy any more from that supplier.