Home General Discussion

Vinotemp

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
There is an unbelievable deal on Vinotemp 12 bottle winefridges on ebay right now. $49 shipped to your door. I just ordered two, I suggest anyone who is interested in doing a wineador scoop these up. Its not very large being only a 12 bottle but at this price! Just go to ebay and and search for Vinotemp, the guy has a ton of them on there. I'm almost thinking about ordering a third ...

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    There is an unbelievable deal on Vinotemp 12 bottle winefridges on ebay right now. $49 shipped to your door. ...
    uhhh... whats wrong with them?
    aaahhh! scratch and dent. fantastic.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Its scratch and dent ... did you order yours yet? I'm serious I just ordered two. Check it out! I called vinotemp to make sure that the two different "temp zones" had airflow between the two, and they do.
    no. i didnt buy one. i dont think im gunna. thats $50 i have set aside for my guitar work. i need a new neck, and tools, and pickups, etc...

i think the wife would kill me also.

im fairly sure that if i ever get another humidor that i will build it. i dont need another one, so if i do have another it will be EXACTLY what i want. the only way to get EXACTLY what i want is to build it myself.
    I hear ya I want to build one as well but the expense and hassle of the peltier make this a better solution for my situation. Now its off to find another Cigar Oasis. Dammit.
    i hear ya on the hassle.

your problem solving skills are great though. i hope you dont mind if i still pick your brain when it finally comes time to build my humidor.
    Definetly not. I'm hoping one day to still build my own, so I'll be using your experience with the peltier.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    That is a tempting deal! good find
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Now its off to find another Cigar Oasis. Dammit.

Any particular reason for using an Oasis with the fridge?

I am currently hunting around for the right wine fridge for myself and have not yet decided on what type of humidity I am going to use. I normally use Boveda packs and love them, but I've only got a pair of desktops.
    Russ, you'd have to use a ton of Boveda packs to properly humidify the fridge. The Cigar Oasis is designed to humidfy a larger area than almost any other product thats the only real reason. The Heartfelt beads(www.heartfeltindustries.com) would be perfectly fine.
    Yeah, I was worried about that. It would probably cost me 30-50 bucks every few months if I used packs, so I was thinking maybe beads. I don't know much about the Oasis though. I assume beads are easier to maintain?
    madurofan:
    Russ, you'd have to use a ton of Boveda packs to properly humidify the fridge. The Cigar Oasis is designed to humidfy a larger area than almost any other product thats the only real reason. The Heartfelt beads(www.heartfeltindustries.com) would be perfectly fine.
    the oasis is good for large volumes. the beads in this situation would only be there as additional humidity/stabilization. i feel the cut off point where i would use an oasis vs. beads would be in the neighborhood of a 300ct humidor. the beads would work in there, but the oasis is a more practical idea at that point.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Wow, and I've been looking for a good deal on one of these. I'm almost sure I'm going to scoop one of these up. Thanks for filling us in on this! Quick question- How much could I store in just one of these? It looks like maybe three boxes? Just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a good idea of how much space I would have.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    the oasis is good for large volumes. the beads in this situation would only be there as additional humidity/stabilization. i feel the cut off point where i would use an oasis vs. beads would be in the neighborhood of a 300ct humidor. the beads would work in there, but the oasis is a more practical idea at that point.
    I disagree about beads and the 300ct point. I have the 28 bottle that has well over 300 sticks and have no issues with the beads. I keep the majority at the bottom and a small containor at the top. My humi stays at 65 on the bottom and 63-64 at the top. I just segragate the sticks based on needs.
    Matt Marvel:
    Wow, and I've been looking for a good deal on one of these. I'm almost sure I'm going to scoop one of these up. Thanks for filling us in on this! Quick question- How much could I store in just one of these? It looks like maybe three boxes? Just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a good idea of how much space I would have.
    Mine will be here on the 3rd so I can give you a better idea then. If I had to rough guess now I'd say it'd be equivalent to a 400 count or so but I won't be sure until I get it. Box wise I'd say in the neighborhood of 4-6. I have to get a better idea of what the divider between the two zones look like. All I know right now is that the divider houses fans and doesn't completely seal off each zone, per vinotemp. I plan on highly modifying this thing to suit my needs but it will likely be a gradually process. They are going with me to my granddads sometime soon for custom shelving, further analysis and customization.
    vankleekkw:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    I disagree about beads and the 300ct point. I have the 28 bottle that has well over 300 sticks and have no issues with the beads. I keep the majority at the bottom and a small containor at the top. My humi stays at 65 on the bottom and 63-64 at the top. I just segragate the sticks based on needs.
    Hey Van what would you say the capcity of the 28 bottle is?
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    Hey Van what would you say the capcity of the 28 bottle is?
    and how many pounds of beads did you use?
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I've got 400 - 500 in there, but a lot of coffins and boxes. I am currently working on getting drawers to increase the capacity.

I have 1/2 pound of beads.
    I've been to Target, and a few other places to look at some of these things and they all seem to be cheaply made, and reek strongly of plastic. I doubt I am looking at the right ones, but I am starting to wonder if this solution is going to work for me.
    The vinotemp is definetly not cheaply made, but there are plenty out there that are. The plastic smell is an easy fix. Stuff it full of crumpled up newspaper and let it sit for 24 hours or more. THe newspaper has the miraculous property of removing smells. You can thank kuzi for that tip.
  • Thanks for the heads up on this deal. UPS driver just delivered mine and I can't wait to stuff it full.
  • madurofan:
    Its scratch and dent ... did you order yours yet? I'm serious I just ordered two. Check it out! I called vinotemp to make sure that the two different "temp zones" had airflow between the two, and they do.
    This turned out to not be the case. They are two separate compartments with a solid divider. The only air flow will be the couple millimeter space between the glass and temperature control plate. I'd think that each compartment needs to be humidified seperately.
    punkrawk_99:
    madurofan:
    This turned out to not be the case. They are two separate compartments with a solid divider. The only air flow will be the couple millimeter space between the glass and temperature control plate. I'd think that each compartment needs to be humidified seperately.
    Damn. Mine should be here tomorrow or friday. does that divider look removable or able to be modified? Also how big is the inside? Could you measure it for me?
  • It's all molded plastic. I'm sure there's wires that run through it for power so I wouldn't know how easy it would be to modify it. The inside dimensions for each compartment is 12x11x8. For the price, it still seems like a good deal.
    Damn. I'm going to have to figure a way to cut some vents through it. Like I said I bought two, one is going to be for aging and one for smoking. I plan on using beads in the aging one and the cigar oasis in the smoking one since it will be opened more often and will need to have the faster recovery time.

12 deep, 11 wide and 8 tall?
  • madurofan:
    12 deep, 11 wide and 8 tall?
    correct
    Thanks punk. Mine has got some heavy customization coming its way. My grandad and I are going to build spanish cedar drawers that replace the wood wine racks. I'd be happy to build a third set for you for just the cost of materials and shipping if you're interested.
  • yeah,I'd be interested in the shelves. I think I'd only want two though. With all four shelves there would be no room for any boxes. Let me know what that would run me.
    Sure thing. So I'm assuming you'll want the top two shelves and leave the bottom open for boxes?

It will likely be August before I get to make them so as long as you don't mind the wait, I'll let yo know how much they'll run before I make 'em. From what I'm seeing right now it'll be in the $25 range for two before shipping.