Home Cigar 101
Options

Build your own humidor cabinet

Comments

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    On a different note, since we're talking about building a cabinet, is there any reason why you shouldn't build one out of nice cabinet grade plywood? I was thinking plywood with wood trim would be an easier route than solid wood for the main carcass. Solid wood on a cabinet is so much clamping and planing and sanding, etc.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely no reason why you couldn't build it out of plywood. I'd line it with solid spanish cedar though. You could go with 1/4 inch or so. Another thing about that guys humi, its not made of spanish cedar, its not even lined with it. I think his shelves may be.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    It looks like the guy built is more for the enjoyment and satisfaction of saying "See that humi right there? I built the sucker from scratch." The cooling system he uses looks awfully complicated and a bit over the top. I mean, he says in his post that he is using the Cigar Oasis + beads to regulate the Rh, so what the heck is he doing adding all the other stuff? Also, I went to his site to look at his final steps pictures and it looks like he is further drifting away from using the beads and Oasis.

I think that if I was going to be building my own humi, I would just plan on installing an area for the Oasis and then a cage on the top and bottom for the beads, a whole lot easier and there isn't a huge chance for me to shock the absolute crap outta myself. The cabinet looks cool though. Needs drawers, maybe even some nameplates for dates or stuff like that.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont trust the bay. but that is a good find.

ive been thinking about this thread alot in my spare time.
    I think i may have solved the condensation issue. its kind of a blend of a few different ideas in this thread.

the issue at hand is not just temp control but ease of upkeep as well.
    if the only water in the humidor is being added to the humidor as distilled then it is condensing (being distilled AGAIN) then shouldt that water be safe to reuse?
    and if there is a true seal on the humidor then no water is being added or taken away. so once an equilibrium is reached i should only have to add or decharge beads or empty out the condensation every now and then? i mean, the humidity CANT go up if no new water is being added to the system.... right?
    so here is my 30 second sketch on a plan that could, in theory work:

if you have yet to figure it out, this is a cross section of a would be humidor.
    the peltier would be mounted on the wall with a removable seal, so if it should fail i can replace it with another. under the cold side of the heat pump (inside the humidor) there would be a collection trough for condensation. this would have a tube that runs down to the reservoir of an oasis that has been modded to accept the tube.

so in short, im recycling the water rather than fussing with it every few days.

thoughts? find flaws.
  • Options
    I've been contemplating this and the only flaw i can see is you're assuming the oasis would still function properly with that tube in it. From the factory the water resevoir is practically a sealed unit. WOuld punching some kind of hole in to accept water from an outside source affect its functionality? I don't know, the nice thing is that you can get a replacement cartridge for $10-15 so its a theory you could test without ruining the oasis completely.

I like the theory just don't know if it would work or not.
  • Options
    ive heard of people modding them to hold water absorbing polymers. they still work then. why wouldnt it now?

i ask that in seriousness because ive never actually seen an oasis in action or know it in uses a pump for any kind of suction or whatnot.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That's a clever looking system. I wonder if collecting the condensation is going to jive with the level of water you want in the resevoir?
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    That's a clever looking system. I wonder if collecting the condensation is going to jive with the level of water you want in the resevoir?
    thats an interesting thought.
    i dont know why it wouldnt. is there a window in the Oasis to show you how full it is? if not, im already modding the oasis reservoir, why not just build a new one and REPLACE it with a clear, easily detachable one?
    assuming the humidor is seasoned when the entire unit is switched on, all i would have to do is start out with the reservoir only half full. this way i have some play in it.

im sure in the winter months ill be adding water and in the summer removing it, but thats part of my routine anyway. im always gunna have beads in any humidor i have just for stability reasons.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    thats an interesting thought.
    i dont know why it wouldnt. is there a window in the Oasis to show you how full it is? if not, im already modding the oasis reservoir, why not just build a new one and REPLACE it with a clear, easily detachable one?
    assuming the humidor is seasoned when the entire unit is switched on, all i would have to do is start out with the reservoir only half full. this way i have some play in it.

im sure in the winter months ill be adding water and in the summer removing it, but thats part of my routine anyway. im always gunna have beads in any humidor i have just for stability reasons.
    What about overflow?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    if overflow becomes an issue, maybe u could use the flaw that sank the titanic...just have overflow spill over to another resevoir?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    im thinking this is why the reservoir needs to be clear (so you can see how full it is) and detachable (so it can be emptied) however a backup system is not a bad idea at all.
  • Options
    THe resevoir is detachable but it is not clear anywhere. You have any links to people modding the oasis. I've heard of people taking the foam brick out and filling it with bead, but I'm curious how they did that.
  • Options
    i have to go to work but i do have links....

i just have to find them.
  • Options
    Damn jobs, keeping us from important stuff.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    madurofan:

That and damn hospital trips....
  • Options
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

That and damn hospital trips....
    I know what has the world gone to when you can't smoke in a hospital anymore.
  • Options
    kuzi16:

ok i found them: click

these were modded to hold humidity polymers, but mine would be modded to just pick up the drip from the peltier.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:

ok i found them: click

these were modded to hold humidity polymers, but mine would be modded to just pick up the drip from the peltier.
    wow.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I think the problem with recycling the condensate is that whatever the water condensates on will impart some ions into the water. Not much, but over a period of time it will build up. I've been looking into this and the idea in the hand drawing is good, but i'd J-trap out the condensate into an external reservoir and dump it every now and then, rather than trying to recycle it.

JMO~
  • Options
    what kid of effect would Ions have on cigars? im not sure this is a big deal anyway. we use distilled water in our humidors all the time.

distillation is actively heating water and the actively condensing it back to liquid form.

so wouldnt our humis all have ionized water as is?

• Options
    Commercial distillers use stainless steel. I beleive SS is inert with water (not 100% sure, but you'd think it'd have to be if that's what distillers are made of..?..)...I'm not thinking that the condensate will affect the cigars, but rather the humidifier...Kinda like using mineral water instead of distilled water.
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    ...I'm not thinking that the condensate will affect the cigars, but rather the humidifier...Kinda like using mineral water instead of distilled water.
    nice. i was just hinking in terms of the cigars. way to look from a different angle.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    what kid of effect would Ions have on cigars? im not sure this is a big deal anyway. we use distilled water in our humidors all the time.

distillation is actively heating water and the actively condensing it back to liquid form.

Distilled water is deionized water. Water in its natural state can act as a weak acid or a weak base and will be slightly ionized, the purpose of distilling it is to remove these ions. What the distillers don't tell you is that once the container is open to the air it takes on ions again and is no longer deionized.
  • Options
    Ronnie! Welcome back buddy how have you been.
  • Options
    rdnstn:
    kuzi16:

Distilled water is deionized water. Water in its natural state can act as a weak acid or a weak base and will be slightly ionized, the purpose of distilling it is to remove these ions. What the distillers don't tell you is that once the container is open to the air it takes on ions again and is no longer deionized.
    nice to see you again.

now we have conflicting statements here
    cabinetmaker:
    I think the problem with recycling the condensate is that whatever the water condensates on will impart some ions into the water. Not much, but over a period of time it will build up. I've been looking into this and the idea in the hand drawing is good, but i'd J-trap out the condensate into an external reservoir and dump it every now and then, rather than trying to recycle it.
    can anyone provide a link or a source that we can go to and find out for sure?
  • Options
    Opening a bottle of distilled water instantly changes the pH from neutral (7) to acidic from all the CO2 in the air creating carbonic acid (HCO3). This does not affect much of anything (except pH in pure water from 7 to low 2's and 3's). It's normal, there is dissolved CO2 in all water exposed to normal air.

When you start picking up metal ions, though, then you have a chance for a precipitate. Think about the cake of white stuff (CaCO3) on the top of aquariums that use tap water in areas with high calcium content.

Totally different than dissolved CO2 in water. There is no practical way to keep CO2 out of your water, other than a hyperbaric chamber...

Now that's some deep chit!

and now the link~~~:
    http://www.purdue.edu/dp/dptour/FAQ sheet.pdf
  • Options
    ok...

there we have it.
    next question would be...

since we would not recycle the water a J trap would be used to drain the water to an outside dish that could be emptied. during the dry winter months would the j trap dry out and let all the humidity out of the humidor?
  • Options
    The vinotemp as a v shaped track from the peltier down to the drain hole. I set the beads right on top of the drain hole to absorb an moisture. Why not just have the device drain into an extra dish of beads. The KL beads would probably be great for that purpose. Or into a dish of polymers.
  • Options
    wouldnt this just get deposits like discussed above on the beads?

im really starting to think that there is no way to add temp control to a home made wood humidor without a ton of hassle. wine cooler may be the way to go.