Home General Discussion

Top 10 Brands

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Highly subjective but I'd love to hear peoples opinions. I've been smoking cigars for about fifteen years....mainly in the summer...about two per week at the most...so I am hardly an expert and have not tried a lot of brands so I am curious what others think.

For what its worth here is my list.

1.Padron (I love the 1926, 1964 but more importantly their basic smokes are awesome too...3000...2000)

2. Arturo Fuente (So many great cigars from Don Carlos, to Opus X, to the Ashton line…I could go on and on…they probably should be #1 on my list but I just like the flavors of the Padron’s better)..

3. Camacho (I like the full bodied smokes they have but also really liked Camacho Select)

4. Punch (Always enjoy a Punch cigar.)

5. Partagas (See Punch)

6. El Rey del Mundo (Haven’t had in awhile but really loved them about five years ago)

7. Hoyo De Monterry (The Excalibers are a favorite of mine…others I have had are good)

8. Carlos Torano (Really liked the Silver Exodus and the others I’ve had were solid)

9. Montecristo (Only had a couple and they were good but not as good as I expected)

10 (Tie). La Gloria Cubana /Puros Indios (Really got into both these brands when I first started with Cigars in the mid-90’s but I think they have fallen off a little now)

Those I haven’t tried but would like to (some heavy hitters..in no particular order). I am sure some of these would bump some on my list..

-Davidoff
-Avo
-Rocky Patell
-Guhrka
-Padilla
-Oliva
-Cohiba

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Good Topic. Mine would go like this.

1.Tatuaje
    2.Cusano
    3.Rocky Patel
    4.Padilla
    5.Don Pepin Garcia
    6.Sol Cubano
    7.NUb
    8.Padron
    9.CAO
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And mine like this:

Padron
    Padilla
    Perdomo
    Ashton
    La Aurora
    5 Vegas
    DPG
    Tatuaje
    Oliva
    La Flor Dominicana

That is in no specific order save for the top three, the three P's make some of my favorite cigars.
  • hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    I'll chime in on this.

5 Vegas
    Rocky Patel
    Camacho
    Alec Bradley
    Oliva
    Padilla
    Don Pepin Garcia
    EO
    CAO
    Verdadero Organic

Those are my top 10 in no particular order.

CK
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Its hard to say brands because there are certain cigars I like from a maker but I may not like any of the rest of their cigars. But if I had to make a list of top ten brands, in no particular order it would be:

5 Vegas
    Carlos Torano
    Alec Bradley
    Rocky Patel
    Oliva
    CAO
    Drew Estate
    Padilla
    Tatuaje
    Padron

In contrast, these would be my top-ten cigars, also in no particular order:

Vigilante Maduro
    Xikar Defiance
    Padilla Series '68
    Alec Bradley Pryme
    CAO MX2
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Rocky Patel ITC 10th Anniversary
    Perdomo ESV "91
    Drew Estate Natural Irish Hops
    Legends Copper Label
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    my top 10 brands

Padron
    Tatuaje
    La Flor Dominicana
    DPG
    Padilla
    Oliva
    Ashton
    Illusione
    Camacho
    Nub

This makes me want to smoke one of each
    Ashton is getting a lot of love on here. F*ck Ashton, I think a prerequsite to work for them is being a snobby SOB.
    madurofan:
    Ashton is getting a lot of love on here. F*ck Ashton, I think a prerequsite to work for them is being a snobby SOB.
    not everyone here has had the opportunity to hang with an Ashton Rep.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Hmm...though provoking.

1. Rocky Patel
    2. Padilla
    3. Oliva
    4. 5 Vegas
    5. Arturo Fuente
    6. Gurkha
    7. Joya de Nicaragua
    8. Padron
    9. Carlos Torano
    10. CCOM

Out of all the DPG i've had i just cant get into any of them. Same with Oliveros and Perdomo. Though i am with Alien on the Vigilante!! I keep looking for the Defiance but can never find it! Google, B&M's..nowhere to be found. Dyin to try one. I think Alec Bradley would be up there if all of his smokes are as good as the tempus. Ditto for Fernandez's Man O War line!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Let see if I can even make it to 10

1 - Rocky Patel (I smoke these the most and he has my current favorite cigar - Decade)
    2 - NUB (Nub Conn is my favorite mild cigar got a box of Maddies on order now)
    3 - Padron (Love the 2000 & 3000, I havent even tried their anniverssary line)
    4 - Oliva (Had a Conn reserve this week and it was fantastic)
    5 - Ghurka
    6 - CAO
    7 - Cusano
    8 - Punch
    9 - El Ray del Mundo (This is where I started smoking cigars about 10 years ago)
    10 - Arturo Fuente

Brands I am wanting to try
    Carlos Torano
    Camacho
    5 Vegas
    Ashton
    Davidoff
    There are some others, that I cannot think of right now, bring on more coffee and I may edit this post.
    Edits
    Padilla
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Let's see...
    1. Don Pepin Garcia (Man, I'll tell you what, this guy can make a great cigar. The CC and JJ are two of my favorite smokes right now. I also like a lot of the 5 vegas line, but they rank a tad lower...)
    2. Camacho (holds my favorite cigar, the Camacho Triple Maduro, and makes a fantastic cigar. I love the Diploma and the Corojo as well.) 3. Padilla (Now, I say they get this slot simply because I like so many things they put out; from the 32 to the 68 to the hybrid, I just love what they bring to the table.
    4. Rocky Patel (he really puts a lot of stuff out there, and some of it can be aweful, but truth be told you guys help me avoid the crud. I love the 90, the 92, the decade, the old world reserve, and the double M is really a fantastic smoke.
    5. Nub (right on RP's tail, I LOVE the Nub Habano, enjoy the connie, and have yet to try the camroon or maduro. Lets see how the maduro moves this brand up...)
    5. Cu-Avana (the intenso? A damn fine cigar right there. Just fantastic.)
    6. Man o' War (When properly aged, the MoW is a great, heavy smoke. Beautiful cigar as well, and I have yet to try the ruinition, but it's sitting in the humi for sure.)
    7. Ghurka (lets face it... the brand is very hit or miss. They come in lower because, although they make great cigars, apparently they change the blends around on you. I don't like that so much.)
    8. CAO (truth be told, I don't LOVE most of the CAOs. The do have the MX2 and the America though, and I enjoy both of those quiet thoroughly, so they get big points for that.)
    9. Oliva (should probably be higher but I haven't tried too much of their stuff yet, so it's pending trying more.)
    10. Alec Bradly (he made the tempus, which I love, and not a lot else that I've tried. Loved the tempus though.)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I keep looking for the Defiance but can never find it! Google, B&M's..nowhere to be found. Dyin to try one.
    Check your pm.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm not sure if I can make it to ten, but I'll give it a shot.
    1. Oliva
    2. Nub
    3. Rocky Patel
    4. Padron
    5. Arturo Fuente
    6. Carlos Torano
    7. CAO
    8. Padilla
    9. Illusione
    10. Sol Cubano
    These really aren't in any order, except for Oliva.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    This is tough but I'll give it a shot.

1. Arturo Fuente
    2. Oliva
    3. Camacho
    4. Rocky Patel
    5. Padron
    6. La Flor Dominica
    7. Onyx
    8. Don Pepin
    9. Sol Cubano
    10. Tatuaje

These are the ones I smoke the most really. Making this made me realize that I really love the La Flor line, but I don't have any in the humidor right now... I need to fix this problem SOON!
  • sdipsdip Posts: 406

Here's my top 10

Rocky Patel

Perdomo

Padilla

DPG

5 Vegas

Gurkha

Oliva

CAO

Cusano

Carlos Torano

• vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    1. Tatuaje (Tatuaje, La Riqueza, and Cabiaguan)
    2. Arturo Fuente
    3. Padron
    4. Don Pepin
    5. Illusione
    6. Oliva
    7. La Flor Dominicana
    8. Camacho
    9. Cubao
    10. 601
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    1. Man O War 2. Sol Cubano 3. 5 Vegas 4. Oliva 5. Rocky Patel 6. Pepin 7. CAO 8. Torano 9. Tatuaje 10. Gurkha
  • tedescotedesco Posts: 22
    1 camacho 2 man o war 3 romeo y julieta 4 arturo fuente 5 rocky patel 6 5 vegas 7 aston 8 olivia 9 padilla 10 cao
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I am not sure about the order - guess it depends what day it is - today it goes like this...

1) Tatuaja
    2) Don Pepin Garcia
    3) Camacho
    4) Padilla
    5) Padron
    6) La Flor Dominicana
    7) Ashton - I am going to hang with a rep in a few weeks - I will check out is HighnAss :)
    8) Olivia
    9) Rocky Patel
    10) Sol Cubano
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    1. Pepin
    2. Padilla
    3. Perdomo
    4. Tatuaje
    5. 5 Vegas
    6. RP
    7. Oliva
    8. Camacho
    9. Padron
    10. MOW

Hard to list just brands, as there are some individual smokes I like a lot, but other offerings keep the brand as a whole from making the list. Such as: Cohiba, Gurkha, Fuente, CAO, RyJ
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    1. camacho
    2.Fuente
    3. Gurkha
    4. oliva
    5. 5 vegas
    6 punch
    7 CAO
    8 cusano
    9 Onyx
    10 Sancho Panza
    bbc020:
    madurofan:
    Yea, I wish I had been so lucky. I guess that was a little strong.
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    madurofan:

Perhaps not - it is what it is... Have you messed with a few reps? I will be going to the chocolate, johnny walker black label, and Ashton cigar taste test with a rep... I'm intrigued...
    Tumbler:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    madurofan:

Perhaps not - it is what it is... Have you messed with a few reps? I will be going to the chocolate, johnny walker black label, and Ashton cigar taste test with a rep... I'm intrigued...
    Thats more or less the same event I went to. They had two reps at the event and one of their "blenders", even though it was a San Cristobal event which was blended and manufactured by DPG. The reps will try to mislead you too, no matter what BS they try to spew, their cigars are made by Fuente except the San Cristobal which is made by DPG.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I second MaduroFan with the fu*k Ashton mantra, snobby indeed...and overpriced for something so mild and lacking in complexity (am I talking cigars now or island hookers, I forget?) anyway....... 1. Padron (1964 is a must)--------------- 2. Alx Bradley (MAXX, wonderful)-------------- 3. CAO (Soprano, Vision, Italia)-------------- 4. Rocky Patel (Edge, Sun Grown, Decade)------------ 5. Tony Borhani (Gold Label, Insignia, Deseo)------------ 6. St. Luis Rey (Series G)------------ 7. Punch (Rare Corojo)----------- 8. La Flor Dominicana (Coronado and Double Ligero)------------- 9. Cuesta Rey (Sun Grown)-------------- 10. G.A.R. (moving up fast, another blend might put it top 5)
    madurofan:
    Tumbler:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    madurofan:

Thats more or less the same event I went to. They had two reps at the event and one of their "blenders", even though it was a San Cristobal event which was blended and manufactured by DPG. The reps will try to mislead you too, no matter what BS they try to spew, their cigars are made by Fuente except the San Cristobal which is made by DPG.

They tried to deny this? VSG (Fuente) and the San Cristobal (DPG) are the two I really like. I have a couple ESGs, but haven't tried them yet..
    Tumbler:
    madurofan:
    Tumbler:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    madurofan:

They tried to deny this? VSG (Fuente) and the San Cristobal (DPG) are the two I really like. I have a couple ESGs, but haven't tried them yet..
    Their blender was talking about "Our factory in the DR and our rollers", etc, etc. I was gonna call him out on it but I was still fuming from the way the rep treated me I didn't want to be too nasty and piss off the B&M folks who I like. Another guy eventually said, doesn't Fuente make all your cigars? The "blender" said something like well yes but we maintain creative control and monitor the facilities closely.
    It's undoubtedly a shame that they do not have more "down to earth" representation for their brand. It sounds like they work from a very old school style when it comes to selling their product, one based in ego/stature/exclusivity. My love for the brand is based only on the product. I have smoked many ashtons and have yet had one plug or unravel on me. Beyond that, their blends have been pleasing and I enjoy smoking many of their cigars. It is unfortunate that 1. either the Levins don't care that their brand is poorly represented, 2. that they believe that that form of representation is the way to go, but until they start making crappy dog rockets, I'll still have love for them.
    bbc020:
    It's undoubtedly a shame that they do not have more "down to earth" representation for their brand. It sounds like they work from a very old school style when it comes to selling their product, one based in ego/stature/exclusivity. My love for the brand is based only on the product. I have smoked many ashtons and have yet had one plug or unravel on me. Beyond that, their blends have been pleasing and I enjoy smoking many of their cigars. It is unfortunate that 1. either the Levins don't care that their brand is poorly represented, 2. that they believe that that form of representation is the way to go, but until they start making crappy dog rockets, I'll still have love for them.
    Yea it is sad bc I do like the VSG adn the San Cristobal. I don't know I was told the rep that was such an ass no longer works for them.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    1.Gurka 2.Oliva 3.Cusano 4.Padilla 5.Don Pepin Garcia 6.Sol Cubano 7.NUb 8.Padron 9.CAO 10.Montecristo
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    1. camacho
    2.Fuente
    3. Gurkha
    4. oliva
    5. 5 vegas
    6 punch
    7 CAO
    8 cusano
    9 Onyx
    10 Sancho Panza