Home Non Cigar Related
Options

great find

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
so this past weekend i went out to a very large local flea market. after 5 hours of wondering around i spent $7.

the only thing i got there was this:

this is just a pic. this is not MINE.

however, mine is in almost as good condition. there is a small scratch on the top of the razor and the crack that is on near the ball the one in the picture is a bit more apparent on mine because i cant figure out how to clean it out. mine also has a bit more grime in the handle. ill be doing a hot water and vinegar soak and a light scrub tomorrow and i hope to get a shave out of it on Friday.

for the last 6 or so months i have been using a Merkur 38c. I hope this will be a bit more on the aggressive side but i dont think it will be. either way, its a great razor, and a great price.

Comments

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    That looks pretty cool Kuz. I couldn't use it because I usually shave at about 3:30 am and I would probably end up cutting my own throat with that thing! haha Thank god for electric razors or I wouldn't around to enjoy this boad!
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    I would probably end up cutting my own throat with that thing!
    cant you read in the picture? it says "SAFETY RAZOR"

this is what i have been using:

...and i havent cut my self more than a tiny little weeper.

much like cigars i find that classic shaving helps me to relax. the brush, the warm lather, the scented soaps, the way my wife touches my face when im done....
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I got into a bad habit, where I shave maybe a little less then I should. Say, I shave once per two weeks, and I grow a pretty good beard in five days. And I shave with a Gillette Fusion (lame, right?)
  • Options
    not lame. just a product of good marketing.

what lead you to shave so infrequently?
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'm in college.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Greg (rusirius) introduced me to shaving with a safety razor. He hooked me up with a sweet Merkur razor, the same one I believe that you are using kuzi, and he even sent me a killer badger brush and some creams to start out. Needless to say, I can't see myself shaving any other way now...I've never had such a close shave as the one I get from several good, clean passes with a safety razor. And the blades are so much cheaper compared to like the Mach3 cartridges...I bought 100 Derby blades for less than $25, how many replacement cartridges will that buy?, not many I know that.

Oh yeah...nice find. Don't know if it will do what you want, but it's a nice looking razor if nothing else.
  • Options
    ive been using feather blades in my 38c. they are about $25 for 50. $25 gets me 8 mach 3 blades. i get 3 shaves out of either one. so it costs me about 17 CENTS a shave with the safety razor and about a buck a shave with the mach 3 if we wanna see the cost per week: i shave twice a week on average. so 34 cents a week with the safety razor VS $2 a week with the mach 3.
    that and i dont have any skin irritation anymore. no more damn ingrown hairs.

that razor i found at the flea market is a bit less aggressive (according to the gap for the blade) than the merkur that i have. the advantage that it has over the 38c is that it has an open comb. more lather stays on my face when the blade gets there.

i hear that the Gillette New is a great shaver, so im hoping for the best.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I dont bother, I just use trimmers once a week with no guard. no need to be clean shaven with my job.
  • Options
    jihiggs:
    I dont bother, I just use trimmers once a week with no guard. no need to be clean shaven with my job.
    neither do I. sometimes its not about the need, its about the want and the ritual
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    My wife bought me the oils/badger brush/ shaving cream & after shave lotion (not alchohol, but lotion) from a Perfect shave last year for the holidays!

I love the lotions, but have been using the mach then upgraded to the fusion. I think that Ill give the safety razor a shot in the future!

What do you recommend for a starter?
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    What do you recommend for a starter?
    the one i started with (merkur 38c) is a good starter. its kind of the middle ground. its not to aggressive but you still get a good shave from it. if you are worried about an aggressive razor i would go with a vintage Gillette Super Speed Blue tip. they are a good mild shave.

the razor pictured in the first post(Gillette NEW) is a fairly gentle shave as well. (i just tried mine out today) im sure some of it is getting used to the lighter weight compared to the 38c but im also sure some of it is the less aggressive razor.

I wouldnt call this shave baby's butt smooth, but i would call it a damn fine shave.
    Fourtotheflush:
    ....have been using the mach then upgraded to the fusion.
    im not sure thats an upgrade.
    im not sure its a downgrade either.
    lemme put it this way: if you still get razor burn, ingrown hairs, and other general irritation with your current razor ("shaving system") , you may be a candidate for a safety razor.

my neck is clearer than it has been since i started to shave.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    yea, I can see that, but I would much rather keep my schedule of in the shower, breakfast and off to work in 30 min, no time for shaving lol.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I wouldnt call this shave baby's butt smooth, but i would call it a damn fine shave. Fourtotheflush: ....have been using the mach then upgraded to the fusion. im not sure thats an upgrade. im not sure its a downgrade either.

Definately upgraded in price, but downgraded in shaving performance. The problem is that once you switch over your locked into the new razor for a couple months, cuz Im not going to sit on close to $100 of inventory in razors.

Im almost out now, So I think Ill switch over to the safety razors.
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    betasynn:
    I'm in college.
    My excuse for everything, although I'm in law school now. I fear graduation because i'll have to think up a new fall-back response after seven years of that gem :(
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    I wouldnt call this shave baby's butt smooth, but i would call it a damn fine shave. Fourtotheflush: ....have been using the mach then upgraded to the fusion. im not sure thats an upgrade. im not sure its a downgrade either.

Definately upgraded in price, but downgraded in shaving performance. The problem is that once you switch over your locked into the new razor for a couple months, cuz Im not going to sit on close to $100 of inventory in razors.

Im almost out now, So I think Ill switch over to the safety razors.
    If you're really interested in moving to a safety razor, I can set you up with some of the essentials. I mentioned being gifted a Gillette Super Speed razor and a badger brush, well part of that was if I ever ran across anyone who was interested in getting into it, I'd pay the gift forward.

That being said, if you're really serious about trying a safety razor, then shoot me a pm.