Home General Discussion

my views on some slightly aged cigars

So i have some 5 vegas classic and gold and punch cigars with about 7 months of age on them. I have noticed with all the cigars that the flavor profile isnt softer than a "fresh" cigar its just pretty much not there. It seems the first half inch is kinda like what the cigar is supposed to be but after that they turn to more of a basic tobacco taste. I usually nub my cigars when they are fresh (less than 2 months old). But i find myself to be tossing these at roughly the halfway part. I guess im just more of a fresh cigar type of guy. Anyone else feel this way ? These just my views i know most on here love the aged cigars. I know mild cigars like the gold arent made for aging but havent gotten around to them til now.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The only real difference I've noticed after 7 months is somewhat of a mellowing effect, the flavors have all been there but some of the harshness has been worked out. I've had a mild cigar, and Ashton, after a year and it was wonderful, perfectly smooth and just great. I've had some that taste washed out though, like you describe...don't know why that is, maybe those cigars just are meant to be smoked fresh.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I dont consider a cigar "aged" for at LEAST a year.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ilikebigbutts-cigarbutts:
    So i have some 5 vegas classic and gold and punch cigars with about 7 months of age on them.
    those are some fairly mild bodied cigars to begin with. you may want to start out with some full body cigars and let them sit for a year or two.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I smoked an RP Vintage 99 with almost 2 years on it and it was great. I believe it had more flavor than the fresh ones I've smoked. I think this might be due to it having more time to ferment and losing some of the acidic bite they have when fresh. The 99 doesn't have much bite when fresh, but it just seemed to make it more smooth with tons of flavor.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I aged a Padron 4000 for over a year, and I'd have to say it was probably been one of my favorite smokes I have ever had. I am POSITIVE that the aging had something to do with it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I aged a Padron 4000 for over a year, and I'd have to say it was probably been one of my favorite smokes I have ever had. I am POSITIVE that the aging had something to do with it.
    ive heard they age well before.