Home Non Cigar Related

Bar Fight

So despite playing rugby for 5+ years, I have managed to never be in a serious fight. The other night I was out with my girlfriend and some friends, and I went up to the bar to get a drink. I ordered, and the girl didnt know what my drink was, so I told her how to make it, but she didnt have simple syrup so I just got a bourbon&rocks. Anyway, the whole time this is going on, this skinny little drunk guy was staring me down from the chair next to me, so I said, "What's up man?" He asked me if I liked how the bar tasted, and I said "what?," and he said that I was gonna taste it if I...did something (it was kind of slurred, I think it had something to do with the bartender). At that point the drinks and the check came, so I shrugged it off and signed my check, and the *** snatched at it while I was handing it to the bartender! I grabbed my drinks and told him to go fack himself and walked back to my friends.

This would be the end of the story, but I feel like a total frickin pu&&y now! I was more confused than angry when I was at the bar, but I had like 30 pounds on the guy and I kinda wish I had knocked his face off, even though I woulda gotten kicked out for sure (and maybe arrested, there was a cop at the door). What do yall think I shoulda done?

Comments

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the best thing is to be an adult and walk away ...... I feel that unless a line is crossed never start a fight. That being said I'll defend myself,my woman, and my friends and feel sorry for whoever is dumb enough to push it that far.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    Sometimes the best thing is to be an adult and walk away ...... I feel that unless a line is crossed never start a fight. That being said I'll defend myself,my woman, and my friends and feel sorry for whoever is dumb enough to push it that far.
    +1 It's not worth it...no one around...different story.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have spilled my drink on him.
    Oh! I'm so sorry, here let me help you out.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    At this point in my life, there is too much for me to lose for just getting into a stupid bar fight with some stupid drunk. Usually its just best to walk away. Plus, you never know about people these days. Dumb **** are more than willing to pull a knife or a gun on someone for something as trivial as a argument about something stupid.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    As someone whos been involved in a few bar fights, walk away... You never know, and these days people are just down right stupid. I worked in bars for years, and the only thing that gets me is when a man hits a woman. Last two fights I've been in were over that...and it amazes me how many cowards will do nothing. Its not about pride, the drunk is a drunk...and a depressed individual that will be drunk tomorrow and the next day, and the next week, etc... If your pride hurts, think about how bad that guy has it....and pray for him. Nowadays I go to bars all the time as a musician, give people rides home, and end up offering advice to those whom might have the issues with sobriety. Jsut did it last night, I find it as part of my calling as someone whos been there to offer any relligous help I might be able to.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Yea, walk away, we don't live in the 1940's. Besides, the drunk just might have a 357 concealed, you never know. Since there was a cop in the room, I probably would have brought the drunk's behavior to his attention, and sat back down to enjoy what followed.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Really not worth it, owned/operated some tougher bars when younger (btw none of them had syrup for drinks, LOL), that dude has issues. Even a small blemish on record is not worth it over something like that. You did the right thing. Cat, was right, you never know what kinda person you may run into in a fight. Be mindful of the things in your life.
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    JDH:
    Yea, walk away, we don't live in the 1940's. Besides, the drunk just might have a 357 concealed, you never know. Since there was a cop in the room, I probably would have brought the drunk's behavior to his attention, and sat back down to enjoy what followed.

Haha it is Texas, never know when someone's got a gun on 'em!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    As someone whos been involved in a few bar fights, walk away... You never know, and these days people are just down right stupid. I worked in bars for years, and the only thing that gets me is when a man hits a woman. Last two fights I've been in were over that...and it amazes me how many cowards will do nothing. Its not about pride, the drunk is a drunk...and a depressed individual that will be drunk tomorrow and the next day, and the next week, etc... If your pride hurts, think about how bad that guy has it....and pray for him. Nowadays I go to bars all the time as a musician, give people rides home, and end up offering advice to those whom might have the issues with sobriety. Jsut did it last night, I find it as part of my calling as someone whos been there to offer any relligous help I might be able to.
    +1, well said brotha! And like Mike said, one strike can follow you around for the rest of your life. I must say also that a younger me would have done exactly what Tony suggested. I have wasted many a drink on some dumba$$'s head when they are being jerks. That look of surprise is priceless!!! LMAO
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    +1 on all the walk away advice. Just not worth the risk.

I think we are missing a more important issue here... what kinda bar doesn't have/make simple syrup? Doesn't that fall on the same axis as cherries, soda water, and limes for things every bar should have? Find a new bar :P
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Well I think saying fack sort of got him thinking you were a pus-sy.. lol. j/k. Yeah it has been my experience to walk away cuz going to jail after a fight blows especially when your out with your lady. When I was in the military stationed in texas I got in a fight and spent the weekend in jail cuz my commander wouldn't come down and get me out until late sunday. so from friday to sunday night I was in jail along with two of my buddies. I also was arrested in texas cuz I was waiting for a cab outside a strip club and because I was intoxicated outside I got busted even though I was just waiting for a cab. My time in Texas wasn't the best. I should mention that the only reason why I was able to go from that fight was because I didn't start it and a few patrons backed us up. Otherwise I don't think I would have been as lucky. Sad thing is the DB's who started the fight ended up in the hospital. I mean who the hell would mess with three military dudes having a drink after getting back in country?
    phobicsquirrel:
    Well I think saying fack sort of got him thinking you were a pus-sy.. lol. j/k. Yeah it has been my experience to walk away cuz going to jail after a fight blows especially when your out with your lady. When I was in the military stationed in texas I got in a fight and spent the weekend in jail cuz my commander wouldn't come down and get me out until late sunday. so from friday to sunday night I was in jail along with two of my buddies. I also was arrested in texas cuz I was waiting for a cab outside a strip club and because I was intoxicated outside I got busted even though I was just waiting for a cab. My time in Texas wasn't the best. I should mention that the only reason why I was able to go from that fight was because I didn't start it and a few patrons backed us up. Otherwise I don't think I would have been as lucky. Sad thing is the DB's who started the fight ended up in the hospital. I mean who the hell would mess with three military dudes having a drink after getting back in country?
    Texans! Theyll fight/shoot anything!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey man you did the right thing!! In younger days yeah I would have been fighting but these days it's just not worth it!! Everyone right now is going thru something especially with the economy. Drunks will be drunks and its better left that way
    Money can't buy taste
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    That guy wasn't worth the consequences you would have had to deal with if you had fought with him. You couldn't have changed his mind either way. It sounds to me like you were more upset for your own perception of being a 'pus-sy' for walking away. That's a bunch of bull that your psyche plays upon yourself. That same voice in your head would have made you feel like sh-it if you had fought. It is a no win situation if you listen to that voice. Sounded to me like walking away was the best option for you. Feel comfortable that you were able to make the right choice under the circumstances.
    Roberto99:
    That guy wasn't worth the consequences you would have had to deal with if you had fought with him. You couldn't have changed his mind either way. It sounds to me like you were more upset for your own perception of being a 'pus-sy' for walking away. That's a bunch of bull that your psyche plays upon yourself. That same voice in your head would have made you feel like sh-it if you had fought. It is a no win situation if you listen to that voice. Sounded to me like walking away was the best option for you. Feel comfortable that you were able to make the right choice under the circumstances.
    Yeah man, my knuckles are too pretty to soil on some idiot's face. Thank yall for the feedback, I'm back to having a properly inflated ego!
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    If you're more sober than him, walk away. If you're drunker, start swinging! Some people are ****, it's usually better just to let them be it by themselves
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Your mistake was saying "whats up" to a drunk punk at the bar.....got to learn to ignore...at 6ft 7 I get this type of *** all the time in bars after they get a few in to them...
    Diamondog:
    You're mistake was saying "whats up" to a drunk punk at the bar.....got to learn to ignore...at 6ft 7 I get this type of *** all the time in bars after they get a few in to them...
    Always seems some a$$hat want to start it with the biggest in bar, used to have my bouncers watch for the smallest and biggest all the time
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    This story caught my eye this morning coming into work about a bar fight. This is an example on the extreme end of consequences! http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/244039/
    Roberto99:
    This story caught my eye this morning coming into work about a bar fight. This is an example on the extreme end of consequences! http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/244039/
    This happens more then you on here understand, it's stupid. The other night I sit with my friend Richie, over drinks talk about what happened and how it will forever haunt him, not a day goes by that he does not think of it, trained with him and back in the day, never thought nothing would of ever happened like the previous story or this

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Nov-18-Tue-2003/news/22611967.html
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I don't go out anymore, but I've seen my share of stupid. I ran into a "tough guy" at a party years ago, you know, the guy trying to pick a fight with everyone. Everyone ignored him, until he got to the skin head in the room. He ended getting his brains stomped out on the ground, I actually saw gray goop. He ended getting a helicopter ride to mayo. Pays to be nice.