Home Pipes

Thoughts on a couple VaPer's

In the last couple days, I've had a few bowls of McConnell's Scottish Cake and a few bowls of Esoterica's Dunbar. I pack them the same, smoke them the same, had the same beverage (water) with each bowl, and I notice a certain harshness to the McConnell's. The Dunbar is just fantastic start to finish. McConnell's settles down but I feel it on my tongue when I'm smoking it; the Dunbar I don't feel at all. Any experience similar to this with different VaPer's? Maybe there's more perique in the McConnell's?

Comments

• MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I don't know the exact composition of each but Esoterica has always been a great blend. They put out great tobacco that are benchmarks in their categories.
  • This is the first Esoterica blend that I've tried, and I will be trying more!
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    McConnell's has KY in it (i.e., burley). Burley is known to bite and I believe this is the featured tobacco in the blend with the VA's second and there is only a small amount of perique in it. Dunbar has only VA and perique, I would say more perique then McConnell's but that is just my opinion.
  • That really makes sense - the Burley. There's only one Burley I like (Carter Hall, yes, the drugstore stuff) and I smoke it out of a cob. Maybe I'll smoke the McConnell's out of the cob and see what happens.
    I have only smoked a couple of bowls of CH with a friend. My impression was the the burley was lightly cased. McConnell's did not leave me that that impression. Cased burley is much nicer on the tongue because the added sugars help counter the effects of the high alkaline content of it. The cob may help but you might have to try slowing your pace down even if you have a slow pace already. The key to smoking burley is to not let the pipe warm to the touch. If the briar remains close to room temp on the outside you will be better off. It takes some practice to get it right and you might have to relight a few more times at first but if you think burley's are your thing slowing down is the key. You might consider trying a close to straight burley. I like Mac Baren's Burley London Blend. It does have some VA and a very light topping to help with the bite. It is a good place to start if you are thinking that burley as the main tobacco is your thing. If you try it let me know if you like it or what you disliked about it and I can point you in a better direction.
  • I'll pick up some burley blends and slow down my pace. Will let you know. This is great advice - thanks!
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Russ of another company not to be mentioned, but well known, makes a KILLER VaPer mix
  • Forgive me if this isn't appropriate, but could you message me the name of the blend? I know of Russ and the other company not to be mentioned quite well, but not of this mix...
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    AugustWest:
    Forgive me if this isn't appropriate, but could you message me the name of the blend? I know of Russ and the other company not to be mentioned quite well, but not of this mix...
    yippie now I get to go look, um I just got off work so gimme a few or so lol... there is a small chance I am mistaken but I dunno
  • Last night I had another bowl of scottish cake, I slowed down my pace and was paying attention to how warm the bowl got. I had a very different experience with this blend in a good way. Great advice.
    AugustWest:
    Last night I had another bowl of scottish cake, I slowed down my pace and was paying attention to how warm the bowl got. I had a very different experience with this blend in a good way. Great advice.

I am very glad to hear that! Glad I could help.