Home Ratings & Reviews

Davidoff White 2012?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Anyone have these? Are they worth it?

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    nobody? really
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I keep meaning to pick up a box, but I haven't tried them yet. The 11's were outstanding.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would love to get my hands on some but they are one spendy stick.

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I smoked both 2011 and 2012. They are very good cigars but not worth of the price IMPO at this moment but with aging they might improve the taste. davidoff matured the tobacco for six years, used a Piloto binder and a Dominican Criollo wrapper. I believe the wrapper needs more aging. Dominican Criollo is not as flavorful as Nicaraguan or Honduran. I do not have enough experience to say that aging will definetly mellow out this cigar. It has a overpowering harshness. I do not expect this harshness from a $22 cigar.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Latley Davidoff is releasing more and more stronger blends. Some of them are good and some of them are not worth of the price. I know they are simply reacting with the market demand. However, I like Davidooof for it's flavorful, balanced, medium bodied cigars. Also do not like the trend to add more and more different lines. However, the fact is, no matter what they have a large group of loyal customer who will buy their cigars. This is where I put Padron ahead of any cigar makers for sticking with the core lines.
    rzaman:
    I smoked both 2011 and 2012. They are very good cigar but not worth of the price IMPO at this moment but with aging they might improve the taste. davidoff matured the tobacco for six years, used a Piloto binder and a Dominican Criollo wrapper. I believe the wrapper needs more aging. Dominican Criollo is not as flavorful as Nicaraguan or Honduran. I do not have enough experience to say that aging will definetly mellow out this cigar. It has a overpowering harshness. I do not expect this harshness from a $22 cigar.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yeah I haven't had many of their cigars maybe one or two but none of their special lines. I thought then they were way over priced and I didn't get much out of them. But I've changed a lot since having their smokes. I always seem to think padron and davidoff are always going up against each other.
    I have more or less all the Davidoff's special line from 2007- Zino Crown series, Emperor line, special releases. The white series is the least satisfactory to my taste bud. Someone might like it more because taste is subjective. However though Zino Crown line is pricey but I think they are worth of the price. Well, comparing Padron and Davidoff is not easy because both companies make great cigars. I was talking about core line product not the quality or price. In terms of overall quality, Davidoff is Definetly ahead of Padron. Davidoff Royal Robusto is the example. But again it is very difficult to compare both with quality and product.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yeah I haven't had many of their cigars maybe one or two but none of their special lines. I thought then they were way over priced and I didn't get much out of them. But I've changed a lot since having their smokes. I always seem to think padron and davidoff are always going up against each other.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I might pick a couple up tomorrow with the avo 25th annys. I'll let you know what I think but I'm almost certain I'm gonna like the avo more. But who knows they did just get some of the new room 101's in so I'm not sure what I'm walking out with besides a skinny wallet lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    I have more or less all the Davidoff's special line from 2007- Zino Crown series, Emperor line, special releases. The white series is the least satisfactory to my taste bud. Someone might like it more because taste is subjective. However though Zino Crown line is pricey but I think they are worth of the price. Well, comparing Padron and Davidoff is not easy because both companies make great cigars. I was talking about core line product not the quality or price. In terms of overall quality, Davidoff is Definetly ahead of Padron. Davidoff Royal Robusto is the example. But again it is very difficult to compare both with quality and product.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hhhhmmmm padron and davidoff going at each other... I'm with Rza that davidoff's qc is higher then padrons. Every davidoff I've smoked had a razor burn line. On the other hand I find davidoff has a more subtle flavor then padron. Both are awesome smokes and I have never had qc problems with either. That being said for the money I like padron,but every now and again I enjoy a davidoff 2000 or special "t".
    Money can't buy taste
    rzaman:
    I smoked both 2011 and 2012. They are very good cigars but not worth of the price IMPO at this moment but with aging they might improve the taste. davidoff matured the tobacco for six years, used a Piloto binder and a Dominican Criollo wrapper. I believe the wrapper needs more aging. Dominican Criollo is not as flavorful as Nicaraguan or Honduran. I do not have enough experience to say that aging will definetly mellow out this cigar. It has a overpowering harshness. I do not expect this harshness from a $22 cigar.
    thats sad to hear that there is still a bit of harshness. I wonder if this is (and hope that it isnt) Davidoff rushing a cigar to the market instead of taking the time to do it right. I would expect more out of Kelner.

maybe age will mellow it out. i guess it all depends what kind of harshness it is. if the tobacco is just a spicy tobacco it may stick around for quite a bit. if it is because the cigar was not ready for release it should be good in a year or so.

Davidoff is my favorite brand. i do have to agree with the statement that they are putting out stronger blends as of late and each of those blends seems to not be as good as their classic lines. I feel that the beginning of the change started with the Davidoff Maduro. though that is my favorite cigar from them, it was clear that the Maduro was an attempt to make a stronger smoke. they did, and they did it well. the success of that cigar may have prompted other blends that are stronger to be put in the works.

i guess all this comes down to this:
    i hope Davidoff isnt following trends so much that they forget to take the time to do what they do best, and that is being one of the best cigar manufacturers on the planet.
    I don't know Kuzi but the trend is they are rushing with new lines. We have to wait and see how it goes in the near future. I do want more flavorful, balanced and medium cigars from them. I was talking to one of the Davidoff marketing executive the other day and he told me even inside Davidoff, some people are not happy with the new trend. He also told me that the new management is pushing Avo Ubizen and Kelner is certain ways which only serve Davidoff's commercial goal not their core business ethics. Remember, AVO 22 success? The management wants a new release and both Avo and Kelner refused because the lack of similier tobaccos. This is also a reason why John Huber left CAO after Davidoff took over the company. However, the top brass is still pushing. Sorry I cannot mentioned the name here because he won't like it. I do worry about it sometime because I love Davidoff cigars.
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    thats sad to hear that there is still a bit of harshness. I wonder if this is (and hope that it isnt) Davidoff rushing a cigar to the market instead of taking the time to do it right. I would expect more out of Kelner.

maybe age will mellow it out. i guess it all depends what kind of harshness it is. if the tobacco is just a spicy tobacco it may stick around for quite a bit. if it is because the cigar was not ready for release it should be good in a year or so.

Davidoff is my favorite brand. i do have to agree with the statement that they are putting out stronger blends as of late and each of those blends seems to not be as good as their classic lines. I feel that the beginning of the change started with the Davidoff Maduro. though that is my favorite cigar from them, it was clear that the Maduro was an attempt to make a stronger smoke. they did, and they did it well. the success of that cigar may have prompted other blends that are stronger to be put in the works.

i hope Davidoff isnt following trends so much that they forget to take the time to do what they do best, and that is being one of the best cigar manufacturers on the planet.
    rzaman:
    I don't know Kuzi but the trend is they are rushing with new lines. We have to wait and see how it goes in the near future. I do want more flavorful, balanced and medium cigars from them. I was talking to one of the Davidoff marketing executive the other day and he told me even inside Davidoff, some people are not happy with the new trend. He also told me that the new management is pushing Avo Ubizen and Kelner is certain ways which only serve Davidoff's commercial goal not their core business ethics. Remember, AVO 22 success? The management wants a new release and both Avo and Kelner refused because the lack of similier tobaccos. This is also a reason why John Huber left CAO after Davidoff took over the company. However, the top brass is still pushing. Sorry I cannot mentioned the name here because he won't like it. I do worry about it sometime because I love Davidoff cigars.
    man... sad to see them pushing the new lines more.
    i like Davidoffs subtle and complex offerings. ill just have to hope they dont change their core stuff like the thousand series and the millennium blend. it would be a damn shame if those changed or went away.

mmmmm avo 22. that is the best cigar i have ever had the pleasure of smoking.

i would do quite a bit to get my hands on a few more of those.

tell your inside connection that people love Davidoff because of the quality and standards and complexity. tell him to listen to Kelner. keep it refined. dont be a follower in the cigar world.
    rzaman:
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:

I really was able to find just one review of the 12 and didn't hear about harshness, however I'll take your word any day over a blogger. Kind of sad about them rushing. I've had maybe one or two davidoff's and they weren't bad just really mellow. I didn't know davidoff bought CAO, I though General did, or maybe General owns davidoff... lol. I was thinking of getting a 5er of these but even them it's about a 100.

Glen, sorry it was my mistake. Davidoff bought Camacho and Scandinavian tobacco bought CAO

Here is the breakdown. General cigar was bought by Swedish match AB, then in 2010 Skandinavisk Holdings merged with Swedish Match AB and created the largest cigar company in the world under the new name of Scandinavian Tobacco Group based in Denmark.

Zino Davidoff sold his company to Max Ottienger Company 1970. The Davidoff family does not own it any longer.

Scandinavian tobacco group own 30+ top global tobacco manufacturer, distributor and more. General Cigar, Cigar International even our favorite cigar. Com also part of the Scandinavian tobacco.
    phobicsquirrel:
    rzaman:
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:

I really was able to find just one review of the 12 and didn't hear about harshness, however I'll take your word any day over a blogger. Kind of sad about them rushing. I've had maybe one or two davidoff's and they weren't bad just really mellow. I didn't know davidoff bought CAO, I though General did, or maybe General owns davidoff... lol. I was thinking of getting a 5er of these but even them it's about a 100.