Home Non Cigar Related

And this is why replacement NFL refs are terrible.

Comments

• deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    The regular refs have decided bigger games in worse ways. Should the hawks won, nope. Should the o-line if gb allow 8 sacks? Nope. Seattle lost the superbowl due to a game full of horrible calls. THE SUPERBOWL and. The hawk fans have been laughed at and told to buck up big boy it's how things work. This was only a Monday night football game. After feeling the hawks offense in action...we will he going no where this year, the packers will. Grab your big boy pants NFL fans, the regular refs are just as bad and there should he more outrage about the head to head contact that was not called and landed one player in the hospital with confusion and neck spasms which involves a person's life.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    The regular refs have decided bigger games in worse ways. Should the hawks won, nope. Should the o-line if gb allow 8 sacks? Nope. Seattle lost the superbowl due to a game full of horrible calls. THE SUPERBOWL and. The hawk fans have been laughed at and told to buck up big boy it's how things work. This was only a Monday night football game. After feeling the hawks offense in action...we will he going no where this year, the packers will. Grab your big boy pants NFL fans, the regular refs are just as bad and there should he more outrage about the head to head contact that was not called and landed one player in the hospital with confusion and neck spasms which involves a person's life.
    That's BS, and I don't mean just for the GB/Hawks game. Yes, the regular refs have gotten calls wrong and even affected the outcome of games. OCCASIONALLY. These refs are missing big calls they should make (allowing the dangerous headhunting that has occured), messing up spots and walkoffs, calling spotty penalties, favoring home teams on calls by ~23% compared to the usual ~7%, and clinging to holding penalties like they are about to be removed from the rulebook. This crap is happening EVERY GAME. It is making the game slower, more affected by random chance, and more dangerous. Three things the NFL has been trying for years to avoid.

Yes, the Seahawks got screwed in the Super Bowl. And I was pissed. Other teams have gotten screwed, and I have been pissed about that too. I want my team, win or lose, to do so fairly and on their own merit. But these last couple weeks it hasn't been A game with A questionable call. It has been EVERY game with many calls, both made and missed. I guess it is college ball for me until this stuff gets sorted out.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    While the Seahawks SuperBowl was not a great game as far as the ref's go----I would like you to tell us another game that was decided upon by a bigger call than this. Considering the game shouldnt have come down to this play due to a bad pass interference call------then the final play of the game decided the outcome......sorry I dont think any game has been decided in a worse way to my recollection.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Vulchor:
    While the Seahawks SuperBowl was not a great game as far as the ref's go----I would like you to tell us another game that was decided upon by a bigger call than this. Considering the game shouldnt have come down to this play due to a bad pass interference call------then the final play of the game decided the outcome......sorry I dont think any game has been decided in a worse way to my recollection.
    What I liked was the actual call; two refs standing over the Packer with the ball, one signals touchdown, the other signals interception. That said it all. Then they looked at it for over 10 minutes, and didn't have "conclusive evidence" to "overrule the call on the field". Which one could they not overrule? Brilliant.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could make that call either way. Joint possession belongs to the receiver by rule. In this case, you could say the defender intercepted and the receiver only had two hands touching the ball, no actual possession. On the other hand, you could say his two hands on the ball made it joint possession. You could call it either way and make it stick. If I were on the field, I'd call it touchdown. If I were in the stands I'd call it interception. If I were coaching the defense, I'd say "why the eff didn't you just knock the effing thing down, you grand standing knucklehead?" Three ways to look at it.

But. Here's what you cannot do: You cannot have the two officials look at each other, say a couple words, then one puts his hands up and the other waves incomplete. That you cannot do. At any level. The two ought to have used that look and those two words to communicate, agree, and come out with one and only one call. If they cannot agree, it's time to walk aside and talk it over.

I was a high school football official for sixteen years. Even we would have been called on the carpet for that. Even on a high school level. We'd be up before the committee. That's terrible. You don't do that.

This ineptitude only makes the real zebras that much more intransigent. Why should they cave now? The league office needs to accept the fact they've lost, give in, and cough up the dough. After all, the difference between them is only chump change in the grand scheme of things.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    webmost:
    You could make that call either way. Joint possession belongs to the receiver by rule. In this case, you could say the defender intercepted and the receiver only had two hands touching the ball, no actual possession. On the other hand, you could say his two hands on the ball made it joint possession. You could call it either way and make it stick. If I were on the field, I'd call it touchdown. If I were in the stands I'd call it interception. If I were coaching the defense, I'd say "why the eff didn't you just knock the effing thing down, you grand standing knucklehead?" Three ways to look at it.

But. Here's what you cannot do: You cannot have the two officials look at each other, say a couple words, then one puts his hands up and the other waves incomplete. That you cannot do. At any level. The two ought to have used that look and those two words to communicate, agree, and come out with one and only one call. If they cannot agree, it's time to walk aside and talk it over.

I was a high school football official for sixteen years. Even we would have been called on the carpet for that. Even on a high school level. We'd be up before the committee. That's terrible. You don't do that.

This ineptitude only makes the real zebras that much more intransigent. Why should they cave now? The league office needs to accept the fact they've lost, give in, and cough up the dough. After all, the difference between them is only chump change in the grand scheme of things.

It may be chump change, but the owners don't care - it's their chump change (they think). They don't give a damn about the NFL, or the players, or the fans, or the refs. They just want to squeeze as much money out of it for themselves. Nothing else matters to them. They are, after all, businessmen.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592

• scarlin:

hahahahaha!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    game's without refs would be more fun. NO RULES!