Home Non Cigar Related

TSA - The Security A$$holes

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Not sure how many of you have had to deal with this crap organization or have kept up reading what they have failed to do, unless you consider what they have accomplished, make americans give up their rights.

Here's a link that a fellow TSA officer was convicted of stealing some 800,000 bucks of stuff:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/convicted-tsa-officer-reveals-secrets-thefts-airports/story?id=17339513#.UGXYDZjA-8A

Here's another one where they missed a loaded handgun in a purse:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/oops_gun_on_flight_yNiTHOZsJmsu2voSdzBQqN

In a country that is so concerned about "rights" and "freedome" I have such a hard time with the people not rising up about this organization. I mean you had a crap tone of people protesting health care reform and you had a hell of a lot of people of occupy over the banks **** us but where are the outrages of the TSA?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I agree with you on this one. TSA is no different than the OMV or the USPS. Unskilled, lazy, government employees. The big difference is that they let these guys carry weapons. Scary.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    USPS really? I dunno man, they are a lot better than ups and fed ex. Not sure why you think govt employees are lazy and all that. I've worked many jobs in the private and govt sector and there are lazy people in both. In fact I find more pissed off people in the private sector and as far as lazy goes, that's hard to say, what lazy means? I mean we all are lazy at times.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Not sure how many of you have had to deal with this crap organization or have kept up reading what they have failed to do, unless you consider what they have accomplished, make americans give up their rights.

Here's a link that a fellow TSA officer was convicted of stealing some 800,000 bucks of stuff:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/convicted-tsa-officer-reveals-secrets-thefts-airports/story?id=17339513#.UGXYDZjA-8A

In a country that is so concerned about "rights" and "freedome" I have such a hard time with the people not rising up about this organization. I mean you had a crap tone of people protesting health care reform and you had a hell of a lot of people of occupy over the banks **** us but where are the outrages of the TSA?
    again, my squirrely friend, i agree with you. the TSA is a giant pain in the ass. they are one of the big reasons why i hate to fly. without them id travel quite a bit more. there has to be a better way.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I had the distinct pleasure of being put on the International Do Not Fly List (Not the watch list- the get the F*ck off the plane list) while traveling with my family on vacation.

Try to explain to your wife that you may be involuntarily extending your vacation until you can get back into your own freaking country.

I have missed important business meetings, travel opportunities, etc. due to this nightmare. I have gone in to interview with customs for the trusted travelers program, etc.

While sitting in a foreign country wondering if I would get back, I did some research on this issue and came across others in the same boat, including some retired military officers who had top secret clearance. Customs told me I was basically screwed because the TSA were 100% incompetent.

I pity the person who introduces themselves to me as a TSA "official" outside of the airport, in the real world.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I agree with you on this one. TSA is no different than the OMV or the USPS. Unskilled, lazy, government employees. The big difference is that they let these guys carry weapons. Scary.
    I'll take USPS & DMV over the TSA anyday....
    At least the USPS does something - like delivering my mail, and isn't just "security theatrics" like the TSA is....
    And the DMV....well, ok they're right down there with the TSA, I'll give you that one.

@ Squirrel - these reports are disheartening, but not surprising or nothing new. It seems like reports of TSA agents stealing have been around just as long as the TSA has.

And as far as them missing a gun in a carry-on item, can't say I'm surprised by that either. Many security experts, journalists, and even the former head of the TSA have said that airport security needs revamped.
    I've also seen articles that suggest we should adopt the Israeli approach to airport security - and instead of screening everyone equally like the TSA does - agents would identify (profiling) people for additional screening.
    Regardless, I think we can all agree that the TSA needs to be overhauled.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:

it's not a sexy topic...people are sheep.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jgibv:
    beatnic:
    At least the USPS does something - like delivering my mail, and isn't just "security theatrics" like the TSA is....
    And the DMV....well, ok they're right down there with the TSA, I'll give you that one.

@ Squirrel - these reports are disheartening, but not surprising or nothing new. It seems like reports of TSA agents stealing have been around just as long as the TSA has.

And as far as them missing a gun in a carry-on item, can't say I'm surprised by that either. Many security experts, journalists, and even the former head of the TSA have said that airport security needs revamped.
    I've also seen articles that suggest we should adopt the Israeli approach to airport security - and instead of screening everyone equally like the TSA does - agents would identify (profiling) people for additional screening.
    "...Unskilled, lazy, government employees. ..."

Veterans of Americas Armed Forces make up close to 80% of the employees of the USPS. Maybe you ought to walk a few miles in their shoes before you go badmouthing an awful lot of very good, hardworking, skilled American workers that we all owe an awful lot to.
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:

again, my squirrely friend, i agree with you. the TSA is a giant pain in the ass. they are one of the big reasons why i hate to fly. without them id travel quite a bit more. there has to be a better way.
    EXACTLY. I want to go to Hawaii to visit my Uncle again but I dredd dealing with the TSA. I had enough of them while in the Army and they have become so much more of a crappy organization.

I know these are nothing new and about the stealing as well. I mean from groping women, to making a congresswoman remove her fake boob to basically molesting a child these SOB's very much need to go. Along with the ordeal of their scanners really being safe, as no INDEPENDENT organization has been able to actually do a test of them and that plenty of times the news has shown how ignorant this organization has been.
    JDH:
    jgibv:
    beatnic:

"...Unskilled, lazy, government employees. ..."

Veterans of Americas Armed Forces make up close to 80% of the employees of the USPS. Maybe you ought to walk a few miles in their shoes before you go badmouthing an awful lot of very good, hardworking, skilled American workers that we all owe an awful lot to.
    lol, I almost got a job after leaving the army but I didn't want to walk the beat, I wanted to drive a truck. I can see how one would call them lazy though, I mean going into a PO and dealing with them can make it seem that way but I don't see it any different at a fed ex store or ups store. Or hell any store anymore. Most people hate their job and you can clearly tell especially in the consumer business's; and I mean they should they get treated like crap.
    phobicsquirrel:
    EXACTLY. I want to go to Hawaii to visit my Uncle again but I dredd dealing with the TSA. I had enough of them while in the Army and they have become so much more of a crappy organization.

I know these are nothing new and about the stealing as well. I mean from groping women, to making a congresswoman remove her fake boob to basically molesting a child these SOB's very much need to go. Along with the ordeal of their scanners really being safe, as no INDEPENDENT organization has been able to actually do a test of them and that plenty of times the news has shown how ignorant this organization has been.
    That really makes a statement about the TSA, doesn't it? --- when you, a US Citizen doesn't want to travel by plane within the US to visit a family member - simply because the TSA & (without getting too off topic) airlines in general are such a pain in the a$$ to deal with.

I hear you on that. Fiance and I have taken a trip to the east coast the past 2 years, the first time we went, we flew - but after having to wait on/deal with TSA, wait for the plane, connecting flight, etc. we spent the better part of a day traveling.
    So the next year we said f**k it, let's just drive....and we decided to drive, ended up taking only about 2-3 hrs longer than when we flew. And didn't have to deal with all the imbeciles at the airport

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    phobicsquirrel:

That really makes a statement about the TSA, doesn't it? --- when you, a US Citizen doesn't want to travel by plane within the US to visit a family member - simply because the TSA & (without getting too off topic) airlines in general are such a pain in the a$$ to deal with.

I hear you on that. Fiance and I have taken a trip to the east coast the past 2 years, the first time we went, we flew - but after having to wait on/deal with TSA, wait for the plane, connecting flight, etc. we spent the better part of a day traveling.
    So the next year we said f**k it, let's just drive....and we decided to drive, ended up taking only about 2-3 hrs longer than when we flew. And didn't have to deal with all the imbeciles at the airport
    Ive travelled quite a bit International and domestic since 9/11 and I never had a problem, except for loosing a pocket knife (my fault) I dont mind the added attention to security, I wont say that they havent f'd up, but ive seen cases of corruption and abuse of power in all sectors.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The TSA has been running "drills" and messing with travellers. I think some of them think they are special or something. If you haven't seen the video of the "freeze" drill you should seek it out. It is basically yelling "freeze" to a large group of travellers who have already been through security and scaring the bejeebers out of them for no reason. I think DHS needs to be reined in but don't expect the current Prez to pull back on his girl. Her outfit is too busy promoting her "sisters" to top posts over qualified people and figuring out ways to train us to "obey" at all times!.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    The Kid:
    jgibv:
    phobicsquirrel:

Ive travelled quite a bit International and domestic since 9/11 and I never had a problem, except for loosing a pocket knife (my fault) I dont mind the added attention to security, I wont say that they havent f'd up, but ive seen cases of corruption and abuse of power in all sectors.
    Would have to wholeheartedly agree. Have never had an issue personally. Every trip through airport security me and my family have had has been uneventful, almost to the point that I was expecting to feel more scrutinized.
    fla-gypsy:
    The TSA has been running "drills" and messing with travellers. I think some of them think they are special or something. If you haven't seen the video of the "freeze" drill you should seek it out. It is basically yelling "freeze" to a large group of travellers who have already been through security and scaring the bejeebers out of them for no reason. I think DHS needs to be reined in but don't expect the current Prez to pull back on his girl. Her outfit is too busy promoting her "sisters" to top posts over qualified people and figuring out ways to train us to "obey" at all times!.
    I'll check that out. DHS does need to go. But Bush started it bud. Sadly Obama hasn't done anything to get rid of it or at least even push for an investigation on how the TSA handles itself. I fear that the security state will only get worse the years down the road. There has been a huge amount released on private companies using data to get customers and also share data. Too much to list here but it's terrible. I think the only way this all will change is a huge influx of citizen outrage. But the MIC has been growing for some time now and it's only got bigger.

Right now you have this whole complaining thing by the Right about how there will be cuts to the DOD and how it will impact soldiers which is total BS. If any agency needs cut it is DOD, the budget that we know of has inflated beyond imagine since 2000. I don't know how it is more important to keep so much money in the DOD when we already spent more money than most countries combined years ago when there is "SO" much more to do here. Some 3 trillion dollars is needed to get our country up to a passing grade on our infrastructure but you have people like Romney saying they want to put more money into the DOD some 2 trillion. WHY!
    Luko:
    The Kid:
    jgibv:
    phobicsquirrel:

Would have to wholeheartedly agree. Have never had an issue personally. Every trip through airport security me and my family have had has been uneventful, almost to the point that I was expecting to feel more scrutinized.
    I have an issue with anyone putting their hands on my wife or me with dirty gloves none the less for just trying to get to a destination and I have a huge issue with being made to go through scanners that so many medical professionals have said do cause problems and there are safer ways to do the same thing that are more effective. I believe that if your item or device is truly safe then you should have nothing to worry about if a independent reviewer taking a look at it. If not, you are hiding something. and let us not forget at how they treat people, it's like your in a detention center. I mean you step out of the line or say something and you get arrested, you tube has so many videos of the TSA. There should be huge outrage.
    Luko:
    The Kid:
    Maybe the TSA just likes you guys better than they like me....I don't know why, but it's always a pain in the a$$ for me.
    I always get sent through the body scanner line, or get extra security, usually with bag checks both in the line or at the gate....didn't know I was so suspicious, LOL.

And phobic - just came across another shining example of the genius that is the TSA - TSA hired priest accused of molesting girls to do pat downs

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Only time I have ever have trouble with TSA is when I travel with my gaming laptop. I always get the guy who wants to talk about his rig... and I just want to make my plane. I have been pulled for extra screening one time, opted for pat down over box o' radiation, and was just waved through. I guess I just look trustworthy.