Home Ratings & Reviews

Beer pairings...

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
So what are some of your favorite cigar and beer/ale/liquor/whiskey pairings? I usually have a cheaper beer just as a cleanser but I'll admit they don't really compliment. We last night I lit up one of my favorite maduros...the Carlos Torano Signature Series Torpedo and just decided on a Blue Moon. It was one of the best pairings I have ever had. The blue moon, if you haven't had it has a very citrusy, orange peel, taste to it, without straying too far from beer like a chick drink, in my opinion at least. It was just great how they seemed to complement each other. After 5 to 10 puffs I would take a sip that totally refreshed and cleansed my palate, I think it was the citrusy part of the blue moon and because of the cigar it gave the blue moon an amazing creaminess that seemed accentuated.. If you haven't tried this grab a 6pack of case and give it a try as a beer n cigar pair.

2012-09-29 17.54.14

my favorite Dogfish goblet. The shape really gives a great smell when you take a sip. 2012-09-29 20.07.05
2012-09-29 20.24.54
I will def be trying blue moon with many other cigars to see what else goes well with it.

Comments

• jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Well I can tell you one that I did NOT like at all....and thinking about it I dont think it would go with any cigar (for my taste anyway) I had a cigar and a Heineken...... just seemed way off to me..... I do like a nice dark beer or amber..... had a Moose Drool with a stick and it was great. Just not Heineken.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Yeah my experience is the same. With most regular beers like miller, budweiser, Keystone (yes I like Keystone Ice just not with cigars) its not very good together. And heinekin isn't up my alley either. That's why I mentioned Blue Moon it was amazing. And I think like you mentioned a lot of amber ales would be good. Like Old Scratch from I think its called Flying Dog Brewery, and also Raging Bit(h from flying dog. Arrogant Bastrd Ale maybe. A few pumpkin ales I can think of that may pair well. I haven't tried 90 minute from dogfish with a cigar which is odd because I drink it almost every few days. Most small scale Craft Brews would work better than a lighter cheapo national beer brand in my opinion. Give the blue moon a try I think you will be shocked. Someone I think Kuzi recommended citrusy drinks to pair and cleanse the palate and I can tell you he is spot on about citrus drinks. Now I need to try many other craft brews to find more good combos.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Newcastle Brown Ale...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    KCW:
    Newcastle Brown Ale...
    Chimay Blue with AB Tempus maduro

"Long ashes my friends."

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've tried a bunch of beers paired with a bunch of different type of cigars and have yet to find a very good match. I like micro-brewed ales of all styles but lagers, wheat beers like Blue Moon, or any citrus type beers aren't to my liking. Scotch and whiskey are decent drinks for stronger cigars but still the drink is over-powering in my opinion.

I've switched to pairing cigars with red wine. Red wine was never appealing to me but recently I've really developed a liking for it and find the fruitiness of it pairs well with Cameroon wrappers like Don Carlos or any cigar with a fruity aspect like Johnny-O. I'm happy with this pairing since Johnny-O and anything wrapped in a Cameroon leaf are pretty much my favorite cigars at the moment.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I like Guinness or boddingtons with beer but that might just be me as for whiskey/bourbon I like basil haydens it's cheap smooth and has a nice oak finish
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love a blue moon with a slice of orange in it! I too, like to pair citrusy things with cigars (I'm having water with a slice of lime with my LFD air bender). I also like to have a corona with lime, paired with any Pepin blend. I like the citrus taste with the dry spicy Pepin blends like blue or Cuban classic.

My new favorite fall pairing is Woodford reserve bourbon and a good maduro.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Ah I like your style gray. I guess my suggestion is beer drinkers try more pairings, definitely some nasties out there but some made for each others also. Now I have to admit at 31 I've yet to try any bourbon, and I like my booze so its sad to say I've never had bourbon. Woodford I've seen mentioned before, you have piqued my interest. And if its expensive by the bottle, I may need a couch to sleep on soon I'm already always in trouble for weekly cigar purchases.
    blurr:
    Ah I like your style gray. I guess my suggestion is beer drinkers try more pairings, definitely some nasties out there but some made for each others also. Now I have to admit at 31 I've yet to try any bourbon, and I like my booze so its sad to say I've never had bourbon. Woodford I've seen mentioned before, you have piqued my interest. And if its expensive by the bottle, I may need a couch to sleep on soon I'm already always in trouble for weekly cigar purchases.
    Woodford was recently my first bourbon experience! I would highly recommend giving it a try. I am not a drinker at all really, especially liquor but I now love the woodford. I thought I would need to mix it to get it down, but surprisingly I prefer sipping it straight. At about $30 for a 750mL I think it's very reasonable too. I noticed the store I went to does have the minibar size bottles of it. So you may even sample it before going with a bigger bottle. I took a chance on it, and I'm glad I did!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beer overpowers cigars. most alcohol does. it kills all the subtle flavors you can get out of a cigar. only the strongest cigar flavors remain. only on very rare occasions do i have an adult beverage with my cigar. and then i usually dont smoke anything amazing. i dont wanna ruin a good cigar with something else.

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woodford Reserve is what i drink when i smoke a really good cigar, stuff is the bomb.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And i wish i could find it for 30 a bottle, it's 44 here in Ohio. Maker's is also good too, a little cheaper.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    blurr:
    Woodford was recently my first bourbon experience! I would highly recommend giving it a try. I am not a drinker at all really, especially liquor but I now love the woodford. I thought I would need to mix it to get it down, but surprisingly I prefer sipping it straight. At about $30 for a 750mL I think it's very reasonable too. I noticed the store I went to does have the minibar size bottles of it. So you may even sample it before going with a bigger bottle. I took a chance on it, and I'm glad I did!
    Glad you like the Woodford !! And glad you learned to 'sip' it.

Now I need to try a Blue Moon..... I usually prefer darker beers but I do enjoy a Blue Moon but usually in the warmer weather (getting near freezing here now)
    jadelt:
    Gray4lines:
    blurr:
    Glad you like the Woodford !! And glad you learned to 'sip' it.

Now I need to try a Blue Moon..... I usually prefer darker beers but I do enjoy a Blue Moon but usually in the warmer weather (getting near freezing here now)

That evening was pretty warm still here in Pa, but I like Blue Moon even in colder months. Definitely a different beer with the orange peel flavors but it made a great evening for me. Like Kuzi says most alcohol drinks overpower cigars but this seemed to complement. Every smoke is so different based on so many surrounding factors, and it was one of my very rare evenings with my son and wife out of town so I need to retest to see if it was just my mood this particular night.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    beer overpowers cigars. most alcohol does. it kills all the subtle flavors you can get out of a cigar. only the strongest cigar flavors remain. only on very rare occasions do i have an adult beverage with my cigar. and then i usually dont smoke anything amazing. i dont wanna ruin a good cigar with something else.

i would agree for the most part, but there are times where a bit of the right scotch or rum bring a cigar to life IMO. I only do so at times when I get a hunch, never planned. Although I am going to try an Oktoberfest with a microbrew this weekend lol.
    catfishbluezz:
    kuzi16:

i would agree for the most part, but there are times where a bit of the right scotch or rum bring a cigar to life IMO. I only do so at times when I get a hunch, never planned. Although I am going to try an Oktoberfest with a microbrew this weekend lol.

I agree, my experience is mostly the same. If I am having an adult beverage no matter what kind, I always smoke thru at LEAST half the cigar before I go in the house and pour myself a drink. Just habit because so many drinks don't pair well with cigars. I find on larger cigars like torpedos & toros that by the time I get in the last 1/3rd or 1/4th of a cigar my palate is getting overloaded and burnt out. This was just one of the drinks that didn't make my cigar taste like blah for the final few minutes of smoking.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    catfishbluezz:
    kuzi16:

I agree, my experience is mostly the same. If I am having an adult beverage no matter what kind, I always smoke thru at LEAST half the cigar before I go in the house and pour myself a drink. Just habit because so many drinks don't pair well with cigars. I find on larger cigars like torpedos & toros that by the time I get in the last 1/3rd or 1/4th of a cigar my palate is getting overloaded and burnt out. This was just one of the drinks that didn't make my cigar taste like blah for the final few minutes of smoking.
    I like how you said "adult" beverage. So I guess my chocolate milk doesn't count ;-p.
    I'll have to try bringing in say some rum or some scotch later on after the cigar gets going. I've tried so many types of scotch/rum/cognac and I haven't really ever felt they work well together. I do find that beers, usually stouts or some ales will work with cigars but for some reason, for me anyway liquor just overpowers a cigar. Not to say I won't do both, just not really expensive cigars.
    phobicsquirrel:
    blurr:
    catfishbluezz:
    kuzi16:

I like how you said "adult" beverage. So I guess my chocolate milk doesn't count ;-p.
    I'll have to try bringing in say some rum or some scotch later on after the cigar gets going. I've tried so many types of scotch/rum/cognac and I haven't really ever felt they work well together. I do find that beers, usually stouts or some ales will work with cigars but for some reason, for me anyway liquor just overpowers a cigar. Not to say I won't do both, just not really expensive cigars.

Your chocolate milk counts, don't be upset I'm thinking all drinks for cigars. I guess I should have explained I always smoke 2/3rds of my smokable for the evening before I mix in drinks. I think that's the key for me, all drinks affect the flavor so I get my relaxing enjoyment out before I bring in the beverages. But certain beverages really accentuate that final end of a cigar when your Taste buds are getting overloaded and I'm glad I found a beer that can finish my alone time. Working on a few more ales but we're at the terrible twos with my mini me so free time is a commodity at my household. Bring all drinks to the table in this thread. Good to see you aroundagain a phobic.
    Hot chocolate and a cigar is my new favorite for cold evenings. I had a 5 Vegas A, my go-to any time maduro,and after half way down a grabbed a hot chocolate, with just a little Bourbon mixed in. It was tha bomb.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Hot chocolate and a cigar is my new favorite for cold evenings. I had a 5 Vegas A, my go-to any time maduro,and after half way down a grabbed a hot chocolate, with just a little Bourbon mixed in. It was tha bomb.
    Sounds delicious. Was just going to add for you Blue Moon drinkers that I used to go to Alaska a lot and there was this little pub that had Hoegarten(sp) on tap. They insisted that you drink it with a lemon slice. That is how I started drinking wheat/heffe's and to this day still love them. I think one of my favorite pairings is a Perdomo 10th Champagne!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up a 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout. Debating which cigars to pair it with as we speak.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    I just picked up a 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout. Debating which cigars to pair it with as we speak.
    I had some with a Diesel Unholy Cocktail. Highly recommend it.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    SleevePlz:
    Thanks for the recommendation! I think I will try that combination this weekend.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    y2pascoe:
    SleevePlz:
    Thanks for the recommendation! I think I will try that combination this weekend.
    Please report back!!
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I typically drink IPAs versus overly malty beer like a porter or stout, but an IPA is a terrible match for cigars. Based on quite a few recommendations on the forum I tried the Left Hand Milk Stout with a maduro and it was great. I always keep some of that in the fridge now and the only time I drink it is when I pull a maddie from the humidor. It's that good.

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    I typically drink IPAs versus overly malty beer like a porter or stout, but an IPA is a terrible match for cigars. Based on quite a few recommendations on the forum I tried the Left Hand Milk Stout with a maduro and it was great. I always keep some of that in the fridge now and the only time I drink it is when I pull a maddie from the humidor. It's that good.

+1 on the milk stout.

Great beer - very smooth & creamy. Great for an after dinner drink with a cigar - sweet, but IMO it's not overly sweet.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I had a nice pairing this afternoon: clear, blue sky on a crisp fall day chopping firewood while enjoying a 5 Vegas AAA and a hot thermos of cocoa.

Untitled

Not a top shelf stick but a nice pairing of elements all the way around including my new stogie stand courtesy of Daniel! Pretty sweet.
    I can see that working very well. Come to think of it ALL my fav beer pairings are with NC maduros. Something about the sweet and spicy of certain maddies makes for great mixes with a semi sweetness drink. Anyone have any drink recommendations for just spicy Habanos? That's something I would love to find a match for.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Nicaraguan Flor de Cana or Guatemalan Ron Zacapa sweet rum with any spicy cigars.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree with RZA. Generally, sweet Rums go well with Spicy Habano cigars. I'll add one to the Zacapa 23, but add Zaya, Plantation 20th, El Dorado 12 or 15 (15 is drier than the 12) and on the spendy side: Zacapa XO and Ron Abuelo Centenario.

Some Scotches and Cognacs will stand up to spicy cigars, but I personally prefer a bit sweeter, so Rum or Cognac. Even a good Anejo Tequila might work well with some spicy wrappers.