Home Cigar 101

how many

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was just now at the Warlock cigars site, where Altadis informs us that a good sampling to determine whether you like a cigar or not requires at least a box of twenty five. That seems excessive. When I first started smoking cigars, I made it a practise to sample two of any kind before making up my mind. I thought that would be minimum. More recently, I've been trying one and making up my mind on that basis. I don't know why I gave up the two minimum rule. Probably a mistake... just not thinking.

How many do you think would be the minimum number to determine whether you really like a stick?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good question!! For me it only really takes one to two but to buy a box I really have to like it and ill usually squeral a few away to see how they hold up with age. But that's just me
    Money can't buy taste
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, If I've gone through a 5 pack and I still like them, I call it good.
    If I don't like them, then my magic number is 3. If the first one sucks, then I'll let them rest. If the second still isn't any good, I'll wait a while and then try the third. If it still isn't any good, I call it one I will pass on.

But.............I will say that there have been some that I didn't care for and had several sitting in the humi and tried a year later that either the rest did them good or my tastes change, cause they were alright.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    5 Pack
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Many times, one and done but I always buy two. Typically, I can tell if the first one might've needed rest or had construction issues, or possibly it was a bad night on the palete. Just depends on the circumstance. But I typically know if I don't like something at first smoke. At this point, if I don't love it....I dot want more. I cannot honestly think of many smokes that got me the second time around.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say 2-3. At least for me anyway. Theyre just trying to sell boxes.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    I'd say 2-3. At least for me anyway. Theyre just trying to sell boxes.
    I think so too. If you sampled like that, you may as well just pick up a box instead of a single or 5'er! If it takes 25 smokes to make you fall in love with it, then you're trying too hard to like it!

I can tell if a cigar is generally something that I'd like on the first smoke. By 2 or 3 I'm decided on if it'll be a future purchase or not. I'm too poor and have no room for boxes, so that makes it easy, lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    2-3.

if the first one sucks, try again. if that one sucks, im done. if the first one sucks the second is good then ill try again to make sure i wasnt having an off day or it was a dud. if the third one is good then its good. if the third one sucks then i dont go back. too many consistency issues to be worth my money.

of course they are trying to sell full boxes. hell... im surprised they didnt say that you need to buy a cabinet to really get it.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I was just now at the Warlock cigars site, where Altadis informs us that a good sampling to determine whether you like a cigar or not requires at least a box of twenty five. That seems excessive. When I first started smoking cigars, I made it a practise to sample two of any kind before making up my mind. I thought that would be minimum. More recently, I've been trying one and making up my mind on that basis. I don't know why I gave up the two minimum rule. Probably a mistake... just not thinking.

How many do you think would be the minimum number to determine whether you really like a stick?

Let me try to explain to my wife that I'm buying boxes "just to see if I like them"...
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Let me try to explain to my wife that I'm buying boxes "just to see if I like them"...
    I tried to explain that to my ex wife last time I went to Mustang Ranch..

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Only time I buy a box is if it's a cigar I've been smoking for a long time or it came free with an order. My CAO MX2'a, JdN's and REMEO's are always stocked up for my "Go-To". I have a few of the "Free" boxes of cigars and I kind of know why they were free... :/ Usually I buy a couple cigars, smoke one right away, and let the other sit, then smoke it months down the road. If it's legit then I'll buy a 5 pack. If it's legit right off the bat and I only have one I'll get a few more. Space is limited at the moment. If I don't enjoy a cigar that much, then I will save the 2nd one for sitting and see whats up.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    3-5, I like to give them a fair shake, but if I have a bad stick, the rest better be pretty darn great. There are too many good, consistant sticks for me to waste money and time on cigar roulette for just a 'good' stick. Exceptions for dirt cheap sticks may apply. I am more willing to give a $2 stick a fifth, sixth, seventh chance that a $10 stick.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    0, LOL

I just wait for one of you guys to write a review on them. For the most part, I have found that if the forum generally likes a stick, I will too!
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 lol..... i do that exact same thing!
    mmccartneydc:
    0, LOL

I just wait for one of you guys to write a review on them. For the most part, I have found that if the forum generally likes a stick, I will too!
    I vote that we, as a forum, start advocating the delicious and wonderful nature of Raji's Untimely Demise.
    jthanatos:
    mmccartneydc:
    0, LOL

I vote that we, as a forum, start advocating the delicious and wonderful nature of Raji's Untimely Demise.
    LOL, I know where you can get one! Mike, Mike, here's another one that wants to try a Raji!!!
    mmccartneydc:
    jthanatos:
    mmccartneydc:
    0, LOL

LOL, I know where you can get one! Mike, Mike, here's another one that wants to try a Raji!!!
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop trying to get doo doo cigars sent to me now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will bomb you with every dried out yard gar I have.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    My vote, as I think patience said as well, is 3. May get a bad one, may get an ehhh one.....if you buy 3 and all arent special-----give up.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    0, LOL

I'm with Matt. I first checked out the official reviewers and made sampler or purchases based on their reviews. I've got burned a few times and found very reliable info right here. Probably because I know what else the reviewer has liked or disliked. I buy a box if its on sale and I can't find them at the B&M and I've had a few and loved them. Also, a box purchase is a big investment in time, money and space.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    fiver..........
    but even that can lead to "problems"....................for example...........
    Padilla Miamis.......grrrrgh!!!!!!!!!

When they are good, I LOVE them............but 1 out of 3 SUQ!..(from my experience, which is all that matters to me)

so, now I don't buy Padilla Miamis anymore, even though I love the stick when it's right.......

makes me sad..........

KingoftheCove:
    fiver..........
    but even that can lead to "problems"....................for example...........
    Padilla Miamis.......grrrrgh!!!!!!!!!

When they are good, I LOVE them............but 1 out of 3 SUQ!..(from my experience, which is all that matters to me)

so, now I don't buy Padilla Miamis anymore, even though I love the stick when it's right.......

makes me sad..........

Simple solution. Go buy three boxes and give me one. Problem solved.

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Simple solution. Go buy three boxes and give me one. Problem solved.

heh heh
    If I could tell which ones will be dog-rockets by looking/touching/smelling them, I just might do that!
    But that wouldn't be nice, cause you would end up with a bunch of plugged, tunneling, poorly rolled, sour tasting turds.

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    2-3. always seems like i'm always smoking with someone esle. this also help bring down the amount for a confirmed keeper.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I would say 3. If you love one the first time you smoke it and hate it the second time, then your third one might be the tie breaker. If you hate one the first time, like it the second time, the third time will probably seal the deal.
    jthanatos:
    mmccartneydc:
    jthanatos:
    mmccartneydc:
    0, LOL

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop trying to get doo doo cigars sent to me now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will bomb you with every dried out yard gar I have.
    Just saw this, this was funny! Love that movie! Haven't seen the new one yet tho!
    Something else to consider: I recently acquired two boxes of different cigars, having never tried either one. Diving into them, I am finding that it takes a smoke or two of each to determine how to smoke it and what to accompany it with. This is not a matter of variation from one stick to another. This is a matter of knowing how to treat it. For example, the Alec Bradley SCR does well with hard ginger cider and close attention to rich flavors. The Sol Cubano Classic on the other hand will do better, I believe, with Coors, and no attention; instead, busy hands in the garage. Both work well smoked slowly. These are things you can't test out on one solo smoke.

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    3-5 to see if i really like something, 2 to make sure i dont. If that makes sense. I do tend to buy 5 packs though.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Lmao I changed my mind!! There are a few I find box worthy and the ones I would buy well I can't afford. That being said yeah 5-10 packs are good if you don't fancy them well people on here probably do. So it always gives good reason to bomb!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I smoke at least three.

First with iced water

Second with my fav. Drinks
    Thrid can be water or drinks. This is the time I asked myself do I really want to buy a box or not

One rule I always follow. I never buy a full box when I attend to any cigar events because usually(not always) we enjoy smoking cigar with others and the marketing hype influence us. The discount trap doesn't motivate me to buy a full box. I prefer to take my time and go through my three cigars rules.