Home Ratings & Reviews

Did a "fav' cigar ever break your heart on a second smoke?

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
It did for me. When I was first getting into this stinkin' hobby, I 'suffered' through several cigars from my sampler until by change I chose a Joya De Nicaragua Antono. It totally rocked my world. Strong, complex, spicy, heavy--it was made me realize my preference for full strength cigars. Since then, I've tried about 20 other cigars and whlie some came close to the Antono, none knocked it out of first. So, when I lit up the Antono Grand Consul I got from the Cigar.com custom sampler, I was all ready to fall in love again. And I don't know what happened. The magic was gone. The thing had a lousy draw and when the smoke finally came through it wasn't anywhere near the nivana type experience I had with my first. I'm totally disappointed. I was all ready to splurge on a bunch of these, but now I'm not so sure. I've got one more to try. If it's anything like #2, there's no more Joya for me in this cig.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Yup...can't remember which ones really, but normally it was when I smoked multiple cigars in a night. So like the 2nd or 3rd cigar I thought was awesome, then when I smoked it on a fresh palette, I thought it sucked or did not have the pizzaz. Bummer when it happens, shows you how much spirits, food, or the moment can influence the mind. Its funny how you tell someone something is amazing and expensive and then they find reasons to like it, tell them the opposite and their mind is looking for reasons not to like it. I've actually pulled this experiment at the shop with cheap smokes and tricked a few guys.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Nope. I need to smoke a cigar several times before I put it in my favorite category. Usually they are multiple box purchases or in the case of opus's, buy a shitload of them during the current year.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say give it another chance, there's always a bum stick in any brand, even some of the best. About the third or fourth Armada I had was a total disappointment, swelled up and split, wouldn't fix, really pissed me off, but the rest were really good.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    It did for me. When I was first getting into this stinkin' hobby, I 'suffered' through several cigars from my sampler until by change I chose a Joya De Nicaragua Antono. It totally rocked my world. Strong, complex, spicy, heavy--it was made me realize my preference for full strength cigars. Since then, I've tried about 20 other cigars and whlie some came close to the Antono, none knocked it out of first. So, when I lit up the Antono Grand Consul I got from the Cigar.com custom sampler, I was all ready to fall in love again. And I don't know what happened. The magic was gone. The thing had a lousy draw and when the smoke finally came through it wasn't anywhere near the nivana type experience I had with my first. I'm totally disappointed. I was all ready to splurge on a bunch of these, but now I'm not so sure. I've got one more to try. If it's anything like #2, there's no more Joya for me in this cig.
    dont give up on the cigar quite yet. it may have been your palate, the pH of your mouth, what you ate last, the mood you were in, how hydrated you were or any number of other reasons. give it another shot before you discount it.
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    Happens to me sometimes also...usually chalk it up to my palate that day or a bum stick like others have said.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. You've convinced that it may not be her...it may just be me.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I would give it another shot since you said the draw was horrible. I have had this happen to many of my favorite strong cigars. I actually had it happen on my first Antano the the draw was so bad it had almost no flavor so I chucked it. I almost wrote them off too but I got a few at cigar fest and smoked um all. After that first one the rest were a lot better so try at least one more and def pick up a dark corojo great strong smokes if thats what you starting to like.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your bad experience!! I've found just the opposite happens o me. I get some sticks and hate them so I burry them in the humi and a while later since they aged they are good!! This is with almost every cao stick I've smoked!! I never could get thru a whole one with less then 9 months on it
    Money can't buy taste
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Sorry to hear your bad experience!! I've found just the opposite happens o me. I get some sticks and hate them so I burry them in the humi and a while later since they aged they are good!! This is with almost every cao stick I've smoked!! I never could get thru a whole one with less then 9 months on it
    Funny how that works, isn't it?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Funny how that works, isn't it?
    Yup that's why I like to age almost everything!! Some are decent rott but I try not to touch anything without about 6 months on it...keep in mind I said try lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many times