Home Pipes

Balkan Luxury Blend

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Fall's here and winter's coming, and this is probably my favorite pipe smoking time. For the past few years, I've smoked a locally made blend, similar profile to Captain Black, less cavendish, that was sold for about $18.00 for a 22 ounce bag. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and the local company sold out, and the replacement tobaccos aren't up to the old quality. Oh, and I finally smoked it all up.

So, I've been smoking some Captain Black Royal, lot's of chocolate, nice but pretty one-dimensional. I've been looking for some of the old blends that I liked, Amphora, Flying Dutchman, Sail, but many of these aren't out there, or not as easily found. I've tried nearly all of the common brands at one time or another.

Usually, I'd end up at various times mixing things myself, although other than cavendish I never learned to identify the various types, but I knew that one might be too sweet, or another too sharp, that was the great thing about Sail, not the greatest by itself, but brought everything else back to the middle, so to speak.

So, looking for something I'd never tried, I settled on Sutliff's Balkan Luxury. I love this stuff. Very rich and complex blend of flavors that spark old memories of European towns, as if walking through some foreign market enjoying the aromas of leather, exotic oils and odors enticing one to explore. A very nice smoke, in my opinion.
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    Thanks for this. I decided to branch out this fall/winter and try some new blends. I'll look for this.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Sail can be found online. If you like it for blending and are having trouble finding it let me know and I can PM you some info.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for that, I notice that CCOM shows it, but no price.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain