Home Cigar 101

Empty Humidor.....

marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
If you had a humi that was going to sit empty for a while, couple of months, but wanted it to be ready for use, would it hurt to leave a container of distilled water in it to keep it seasoned or would that ultimately ruin it?

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'd say you run a huge chance of mold!! I'd throw in some boveda packs and leave it at that.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I think you just post something like this and a bunch of us get together and fix that problem...anyone?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    No Ken, no. What I am thinking of doing is buying a new humi to replace the one I have at home. And take my old one to the boat and leave it there. But want it ready to be used when I get there, but it would be empty for a couple of months. How can I do this and keep it seasoned while it is empty?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bro, Keeping it on the boat and keeping it seasoned shouldn't be a problem.
    You will more than likely run into where it will be high on humidity when you get to it.
    If it were me, I'd stick a couple dry boveda packs in it and possibly one filled pack.
    That should help maintain the humidity you want.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I'd rather it be a little high than low. I can always open it up and let it air out a bit. I just wanted it to be ready to hold sticks and not have to re-season it. But, I may have to try your idea. That would be better than a dish of water I would presume.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    I gave my glass-top away and switched exclusively to Tupperdores and Boveda here in the desert. No seasoning, no re-seasoning, no worries.
    I would do that, but the cabin/salon on the boat is all nice woodwork and I though my wood humi would go well in there. Here I just use a cooler, the humi was too difficult to maintain in the desert.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    I would do that, but the cabin/salon on the boat is all nice woodwork and I though my wood humi would go well in there. Here I just use a cooler, the humi was too difficult to maintain in the desert.
    Keep the humi on the boat then when you want to put sticks on put them in a ziplock with a boveda and put that in the humi
    Money can't buy taste
    Not a bad idea as well
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I have a humi I'm not using, I just put a couple pillows in it that are very full and leave it closed. When teh time coems to use it, it's ready.
    Thanks guys, it is giving me ideas. Plus an excuse for the wife to get me a new humi for Christmas
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I have a humi I'm not using, I just put a couple pillows in it that are very full and leave it closed. When teh time coems to use it, it's ready.
    I agree, I think any humidity device would be fine. Beads or boveda, or just a pillow. I think it'd take a lot of humidity (with no cigars in there to help hold it in) to cause a mold problem. That or it seals absolutely air tight.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    I agree, I think any humidity device would be fine. Beads or boveda, or just a pillow. I think it'd take a lot of humidity (with no cigars in there to help hold it in) to cause a mold problem. That or it seals absolutely air tight.
    +2 , a few of the shipping size humi packs (like ccom sends) should keep the humi good to go. If not toss in a boveda if you want to be real fancy, lol

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody needs his Tupperware to come with friends pre-installed....Boys are you up to help??!!!!
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Somebody needs his Tupperware to come with friends pre-installed....Boys are you up to help??!!!!
    I like the way you think Jim
    This wasn't an open invitation for hitting me, lol. Just needed to know how to keep a humi seasoned when not in use.
    marineatbn03:
    This wasn't an open invitation for hitting me, lol. Just needed to know how to keep a humi seasoned when not in use.
    Think of it as a community barn raising effort without the heavy lifting!!
    Bigshizza:
    marineatbn03:
    I think you mean barn burning
    marineatbn03:
    Bigshizza:
    marineatbn03:
    Come on everyone grab a bucket!!! James' barn is burnin..lol
    Lol. Seriously though, I am all set. But you have to love a place where ask a question about purposefully keeping a humi empty and people want to blow you up because of it. Love this place.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    marineatbn03:
    Bigshizza:
    marineatbn03:
    We didn't start the fire..
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Bigshizza:
    marineatbn03:
    Bigshizza:
    marineatbn03:
    We didn't start the fire..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g
    Fixed it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    James...Boveda 69% will takes care of your issue. Simple and easy.
  • interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    marineatbn03:
    Lol. Seriously though, I am all set. But you have to love a place where ask a question about purposefully keeping a humi empty and people want to blow you up because of it. Love this place.

I made that mistake once!
    I'm still recovering from the mayhem!

-Robert
    marineatbn03:
    hahahahaha. you're a funny guy, you know that.
    Bigshizza:
    PM inbound, Jim

interpim:
    marineatbn03:

-Robert
    Robert,

Good to "hear from you" and glad to see you stoppin' by! Hope that things have been good and that you've had a chance to fire up a couple stogies recently.

Stay well brother!

• interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    jgibv:
    interpim:
    marineatbn03:

-Robert
    Robert,

Good to "hear from you" and glad to see you stoppin' by! Hope that things have been good and that you've had a chance to fire up a couple stogies recently.

Stay well brother!

Thanks jgibv! I have enjoyed some stogies here and there over the past few months. being at sea I find it difficult on some days to pull away from work long enough to enjoy a smoke. I try to at least get 1 a week in.
    Checking in here is another thing I try to make time for... sometimes I can't post due to our internet being very slow and occasionally not working at all on the ship.

-Robert