Home Cigar 101

Mold :(

WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
Is it ruined? Why is it only on this cigar in my humi?

Comments

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Toss It!!!!!! Not sure why only one was affected?? Did it have/ not have cello?? how bout the rest?? Do you have a Hygrometer??? What are you using for a humidifier????
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Sad part is that is a #2 I gave them that I got in Dubai.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    DO NOT SMOKE THAT.... As far as getting the mold out of the humi and the steps involved, calling Dr Kuzi?
  • WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    It is sad. Very thoughtful gift from James. It did not have a cello. I don't see mold in the humi or on any other cigars. We are using gel beads.
    marineatbn03:
    Well ya can cut half an inch off or so, then clip the head and give it a dry puff to see if theres any moldy taste. probably wont smoke that well as its probably been overhumidified, wouldnt really recommend puttin it in a ziploc baggie,, Not sure what to do with it, could try dryboxin?? after mold has been removed.Id'be More concerned about the rest of the sticks and why this happened in the first place!! Edit,,,, hmmm you got a digital hygrometer??
    The Kid:
    marineatbn03:
    Well ya can cut half an inch off or so, then clip the head and give it a dry puff to see if theres any moldy taste. probably wont smoke that well as its probably been overhumidified, wouldnt really recommend puttin it in a ziploc baggie,, Not sure what to do with it, could try dryboxin?? after mold has been removed.Id'be More concerned about the rest of the sticks and why this happened in the first place!! Edit,,,, hmmm you got a digital hygrometer??
    Yes, using a digital. It stays around 63-68. You think the rest of the cigars in the humi are ruined as well?? That was the only naked one in there...
    Id empty the humi and wipe down with a lighty damp cloth of distilled water, can use a blowdryer to dryout humi afterward,,Id check the beads for mold,, sounds like you caught it quickly,, Have you had that stick a while?? its possible it may have had spores before you recieved it??
    The Kid:
    Id empty the humi and wipe down with a lighty damp cloth of distilled water, can use a blowdryer to dryout humi afterward,,Id check the beads for mold,, sounds like you caught it quickly,, Have you had that stick a while?? its possible it may have had spores before you recieved it??
    Ok. I think I've had it for 2 months.
    WhoDeyGal:
    The Kid:
    marineatbn03:
    Yes, using a digital. It stays around 63-68. You think the rest of the cigars in the humi are ruined as well?? That was the only naked one in there...
    No your probably good, not sure how many sticks we're talkin bout but it wouldnt hurt to wipe them down as well or at least the ones in the general area of bad stick.. Id perform a salt test on hygrometer just to confirm accuracy. If all checks out, I would say the stick was infected or may have gotten wet somehow?? and Dustin is right I wouldnt smoke it, dont worry too much about it they'll be others,,
    I know very little bout beads, havent ever used em,, so I dont know if they are the source of the problem,, usually its those greeen foam humidifiers.. Was the stick in close proximity to the beads,, touching????,, How many non cello sticks were close by?? I'd be more concerned about those and would probably isolate
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snip the mold off and smoke it. I've done it once or twice and I'm still here posting. :)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Snip the mold off and smoke it. I've done it once or twice and I'm still here posting. :)
    I have had mold on a single smoke before. My humi was not over humidified and no other stick ever showed any signs, but one particular cigar, a gh Aztecs, grew little splotches on the wrapper. I wiped them off and it smoked great. I'd be more leery of smoking one with mold in or on the foot. But Dan seems to still be alive and normal
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    I think I may have found the source...

WhoDeyGal:

good job!!! those things are notorious for mold!!!!!! Toss it!!
    WhoDeyGal:

Bingo! Yeah throw that out. As far as the cigar goes, cut a 1/4 inch off the foot. If you have cut off a 1/2 inch and you still see mold, then sorry :( throw that out as well. If not then eh I'd smoke it. It's a Monte #2 for cryin out loud!
    I don't know why I was under the impression we had to use beads and that foam thing. From my understanding, we should switch to regular beads not gels? And that's all we need in our humi?
    danielzreyes:
    WhoDeyGal:

Bingo! Yeah throw that out. As far as the cigar goes, cut a 1/4 inch off the foot. If you have cut off a 1/2 inch and you still see mold, then sorry :( throw that out as well. If not then eh I'd smoke it. It's a Monte #2 for cryin out loud!
    Right! That's why I'm so sad to toss it. That and it being a gift that I wanted to save for a special occasion.
    danielzreyes:
    WhoDeyGal:

Knowin that the source of the mold was external and didnt come from the cigar itself id feel more comfortable about trimmin it and smokin it,, also when i said wipe down the sticks i was referrin more to the ones with cello,, you can wipe down the non cello'd ones too but be gentle and try to not get them wet.
    WhoDeyGal:
    I don't know why I was under the impression we had to use beads and that foam thing. From my understanding, we should switch to regular beads not gels? And that's all we need in our humi?
    yes only one whether its Gel crystals,,,Beads or boveda packs,, they all work well, I dont use beads due to space , gel crystals are fine but need more attention than the other two. I use the boveda 65%
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    WhoDeyGal:

Knowin that the source of the mold was external and didnt come from the cigar itself id feel more comfortable about trimmin it and smokin it,, also when i said wipe down the sticks i was referrin more to the ones with cello,, you can wipe down the non cello'd ones too but be gentle and try to not get them wet.
    Ok, thanks. I'm definitely going to wipe the whole humi down. I think I'm going to trim it and see how far up the mold goes. I'm hoping I can still save it for a later date. I should probably keep it in an opened ziplock bag in the humi until I decide to smoke it, right? (If its save-able)
    WhoDeyGal:
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    WhoDeyGal:

Ok, thanks. I'm definitely going to wipe the whole humi down. I think I'm going to trim it and see how far up the mold goes. I'm hoping I can still save it for a later date. I should probably keep it in an opened ziplock bag in the humi until I decide to smoke it, right? (If its save-able)
    If you have made the decision to smoke it then smoke it ASAP. Don't bother storing it again.
    danielzreyes:
    WhoDeyGal:
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    WhoDeyGal:

If you have made the decision to smoke it then smoke it ASAP. Don't bother storing it again.
    Thats what I would recommend too, but if you want to save Id put it a ziplock for a couple days and then put cello on it then put back in humi,, but if you dont eradicate all the mold it may sprout up again,, for the humi Just a lightly damp wipedown,with "Distilled" water
    Just finished wiping it all down. I cut the cigar and it looks perfectly fine! Sooo, I guess I'll smoke it tonight..
    Thanks a bunch for all the help, guys! Appreciate it.
    k,, your welcome,, Id keep an eye on the beads
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have had that problem a few times before, and always with cigars without cello. That's why I same old cello and use it for cigars I obtain that have none. Also I will always clip and smoke them. Live dangerously !!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    WhoDeyGal:

good job!!! those things are notorious for mold!!!!!! Toss it!!
    Oh yeah toss that piece of garbage. You can take the foam out and use it to put beads or gel in to.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nikki,
    Is that from one of the humis I sent you?
    I didn't think the humidifiers had been used on those.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Start using Boveda Humipack and you will not have this kind of issue again. I am very sorry to see that happened to your Montecristo #2.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Get some conservagel or heartfelt beads 65rh cut the foot ends off a pair of nylons and dump the beads in, twist tie them shut and you will months and months of worry free, maintenance free rh control simple as that...