Home General Discussion

different tobacco regions

2»

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    LOL yea ... i'm looking forward to that event tonight, I'm going to smoke a few of your favorite RP's Kuz.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I'm going to smoke a few of your favorite RP's Kuz.
    sungrown?
    Probably a sungrown and a nicarao or a nicarao and a nording maybe an edge idk i'm gonna buy all of the above
    If they have a double maduro its on like donky kong! I haven't had one of those yet.
    i would give that a shot. well thats not fair for me to say... id give just about any cigar a shot.
    Yea me too. Its a problem I have, I've thought about seeking help.
    wheres the problem?
    The problem is that NOTHING including cost stops me from going, OH I haven't tried that.
  • It's cool that you're good with database stuff, maduro, because I haven't even touched the tip of that iceberg yet. Planning on tackling Oracle after I get my basic certs taken care of, but obviously that's not happening in the immediate future.

Mostly the way I've thought about it was breakdowns of major tobacco growing regions and the characteristics of the leaves grown there. Lay it out on a map so that users can click/highlight, say, a country, which will lead to a map of the country with a breakdown of regions. Obviously not everything is able to be accounted for with different strains/specific farms/etc... but a generalization to at least give the user an idea of what to expect. Perhaps instead of actually going in depth into the endless nuances for each country/region, give a list of notable farms/tabacaleras and brands that use the tobacco and/or are produced there.

Adding a "make a cigar" feature that would allow the user to play the blender and see what cigars are close to what you pick would be cool, but are something that could be added later if the coding work for the project were done the right way to make it easily expandable.
    gott.des.feuer:
    Adding a "make a cigar" feature that would allow the user to play the blender and see what cigars are close to what you pick would be cool, but are something that could be added later if the coding work for the project were done the right way to make it easily expandable.
    im thinking there is no real way to have a "make a cigar" page. some of the differences are so subtle with the very minor changes that can happen in a blend. i can do a blending 101, but i think that making this concept into a "computer program" is something that is beyond the scope of what our computers can handle. its like trying to program a computer to cook a steak to medium without using a thermometer. it cant be done. every steak is indavidual in how it cooks. this is something that only a person can accomplish. every field of tobacco has its own taste and unique aspects to it. trying to get a computer to blend (or even reccomend a blend) would be pretty much impossable. there needs to be a human element there because a machine cannot taste.

what can happen is there can be an interactive page where people click on a list of atributes that the tobacco/cigar is or is going to have and see how it (generaly speaking) will change the flavor.

as in:
    you click on "honduran" and a rundown on how honduran soil affects the tobacco plant.
    or
    you click on "ligero" and an explination of the atributes that the ligero leaf has.
    from that people can assume that a "honduran ligero" is going to be "like a ligero with honduran influence"

er... something like that