Home Non Cigar Related

Hit head on.....

VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
So my son and I were driving to get my mom an ice coffee on her birthday on the 5th (I know it doesnt sound like a lot but she has MS and we dont really get to spend a lot of time together).. An 82 year old man turns to sharp and decided to park his car in mine. Totaled my Impala and we are getting very little for it.... So here is my question... Should you need to be retested at a certain age to keep your license?

Comments

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I think so, but I also think most people need to be re-tested periodically. Soory to hear about the accident Pete, hope everyone was alright.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is are you and your son ok?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    +1.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, after 80? Or depending on your violations. I hope you guys are doing well.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Hope you, your son and old dude are all ok. Sorry to hear about the car, as well.
    As for your question, yes I believe there should be mandatory retesting after drivers reach certain ages or based on the types of violations they've incurred during the course of their driving history.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    danielzreyes:
    +1.
    +2

And yes, I think everyone (regardless of age, violations, etc.) should be retested every 2-3 years - at least for the written part of the exam.
    And then every 4-6 yrs for the "driving" in-car assessment.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't think getting tested really is the trick. I think if when you go to the doctor they should be able to pull your license if you are unable to drive due to a medical issue. Just because you pass a driving test doesn't mean your good at it. American's suck at driving, there isn't very much to it. Now make it more extensive.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Vision:
    So my son and I were driving to get my mom an ice coffee on her birthday on the 5th (I know it doesnt sound like a lot but she has MS and we dont really get to spend a lot of time together).. An 82 year old man turns to sharp and decided to park his car in mine. Totaled my Impala and we are getting very little for it.... So here is my question... Should you need to be retested at a certain age to keep your license?
    Vision, I used to be in insurance (property/casualty and life/health). If you are not getting fair market value for your car you can prove to the insurance company you deserve more. PM me if you want to discuss it. Most insurance companies shoot low at first hoping you will just take it. If you come back with proof of the real value of your car, they will give that to you. Actually, they are supposed to give that to you.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words guys. We are ok... The dude slept right thru it. A little tweak in the neck and arm but we are good. The K member/Frame is also tweaked so bye bye car. Thanks Marker, I will be getting a call from them in the next few days. I will keep you updated.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that for the most part everyone is good ...... Just remember I'm a little north of you and am an insurance adjuster ..... Writing estimates in the field is what I do for a living . PM me and let me know who the other persons insurance is and who yours is and I can give you a bit of advice to go along with Markers ...... You just gotta remember that if the accident took place in Mass that the DOI governs everything more so than any other state.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly believe once a person turns 60 they should be required to take the written and physical driving test every year. I base this off of my personal experience as well as 11 years I spent in law enforcement. Just my opinion and I am sure if and when I get to that age in life I might not feel the same way.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jsnake:
    I strongly believe once a person turns 60 they should be required to take the written and physical driving test every year. I base this off of my personal experience as well as 11 years I spent in law enforcement. Just my opinion and I am sure if and when I get to that age in life I might not feel the same way.
    Insurance stats do not support your opinion.

http://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/safety/teens-or-seniors-who-are-our-worst-drivers.aspx

http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/16/safest-states-driving-lifestyle-vehicles-texting-driving.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/05/are-seniors-or-teens-safer-drivers-the-answer-may-surprise/1
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    Yes, periodic tests in which the frequency will increase with age...seen too many old drivers doing insane things, including an elderly lady sleeping and driving into a curb and off the road. I'd probably *** about it when I'm old and have to take the test but oh well, tough luck old jimmy...