Home Pipes

Pipe Techniques

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi there,

So, I've been reading up on pipe lighting and packing methods as I await my new pipe and I came across the "frank" method. The real difference I noticed, though, was his lighting technique. Am I wrong, or is he using a torch lighter in part 3? I thought torches were a no no when it came to pipes (I can see why as they might quickly incinerate the finish and cause damage).

does anyone have experience lighting this way? Also, I'd like to hear if you have any other neat techniques that you use to pack/light or tamp. I know these have been covered here and there in other threads, but maybe this could be a go-to spot for technique or something.

thanks! I cant wait to get started! Hopefully tomorrow or monday my pipe will come in!

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=OMtHOAiO8CI
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    The Frank method is very good. I use it myself. Bob Tate (editor of Pipes Mag.) also has a video on a similar method that also works well in certain situations. A. Frank was not using a torch, at least not in the 3 part video I watched quite some time ago. Torches should never be used with a pipe (I don't like them for cigars either that is another discussion). Frank even stated that he was very careful about lighting because he did not have a lot of money and buying a new pipe was not going to happen anytime soon for him.

Oh, the Frank method is my primary method for packing. Once you have it down (and the tamping that he addresses too) you will be able to smoke almost any blend too the bottom with few (if any) relights.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I almost forgot but Bob Tate also has several other videos out that address specific packing for flake and other types of tobaccos too. They are a great primer for getting started.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! I will look up Bob as well. And that's what I thought ab a torch
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I just watched it. He was using a single flame torch. Thats why he kept stressing the 1 second touch. Seems to me that it could be an easy way to ruin a good pipe, or a cheap one for that matter. His loading method seemed to be reasonable. I may give it a try when my stuff comes in....
    Yeah, upon looking around more I do see it is a torch. I wouldn't trust myself with that, haha! I'm looking for a cheap pipe lighter with an angled flame and will check the B&M tomorrow. I'm also interested to try that method of packing.
    I can't afford one right now, so I may have to use my torch.
    marineatbn03:
    I can't afford one right now, so I may have to use my torch.
    I'm looking for a cheapie at first... found one online for $5 if you're interested
    It takes too long to get anything shipped here, may just try to track down a regular lighter
    Welp I tried my first bowl ast night. At first mildly enjoyable, near the end pretty much gross. Lol! I read up so much on packing, tamping, lighting,and all that. Still got a kinda warm, half lit, gurgly smoke. I guess its just practice! I am still excited to try again. And again. Again. Again. Going to dry out tobacco a little more today. I packed the pipe this morning, and let it hang out all day
    I will be curious to see how that works out for you
    It actually worked out well. I think yesterday my tobacco was still a little moist, so today it had a chance to dry out a little. I smoked 2 bowls almost back to back and each went better than before. Lots better results today, I'm looking forward to trying more. Now I need a blend with latakia to try!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will use a torch when I run out of matches but only with my corncob. The others - no way. I have a XIKAR softflame Resource Pipe Lighter which I love. Has all your tools built in. Check it out here. Sorry copy and paste because I am lazy this morning. http://xikar.com/products/lighters/resource/ I highly recommend this lighter. The beauty of this is if you need to relight after tamping and getting down into the bowl the angle makes it perfect. When I try this with matches they always seem to go out.