Home Pipes

I love Autumn

stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
It's that time of year again. When you start wearing sweaters and jackets again, maybe make some homemade soup and best of all dust off the pipes! Just light up a bowl of Proper English (tinder box blend) in the Nording freehand and settled in for a good book. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Just checkin in on ya.. saw your post ... cool pipe.
  • stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    bigfnsteve:
    Haha thanks for posting on my thread man. It was looking so lonely. Had a great time huffing on saturday. How was October fest?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    stad:
    It's that time of year again. When you start wearing sweaters and jackets again, maybe make some homemade soup and best of all dust off the pipes! Just light up a bowl of Proper English (tinder box blend) in the Nording freehand and settled in for a good book. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I think once my wife has seen me smoke cigars for a while..I'll move in to pipes. To try it now..I risk her wrath!
    Rain:
    stad:
    I think once my wife has seen me smoke cigars for a while..I'll move in to pipes. To try it now..I risk her wrath!
    Try it!! My wife lets me smoke pipe in the house so it's what I smoke a lot during the cold winter months. What pipes are you looking at?
    stad:
    Rain:
    stad:
    Try it!! My wife lets me smoke pipe in the house so it's what I smoke a lot during the cold winter months. What pipes are you looking at?
    Here is how far I've gotten in my pip hobby: I've decided I want to try it at some point ;)
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    stad:
    Rain:
    stad:
    Here is how far I've gotten in my pip hobby: I've decided I want to try it at some point ;)
    I feel ya Rain. I would like to try it out, but know nothing, hell, I am still learning cigars
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful pipe! I smoked some C&D Autumn Evening just yesterday followed by some McClelland Holiday Spirit 2010. I love holiday aromatics and found the C&D didn't age well. The McClelland is spot on. I guess aromatics don't age like others so I am trying to smoke up what I have opened before I get into my other stuff. Smoked some Holiday Spirit this afternoon watching football. If you guys like aromatics it is amazing. Rum, pecans, and cocoa flavors. You almost want to eat it.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    stad:
    bigfnsteve:
    Haha thanks for posting on my thread man. It was looking so lonely. Had a great time huffing on saturday. How was October fest?
    Had a good time. It was EXPENSIVE though. Drank ome hoff brau and spaten. Sadly they didnt have any non carbonated. I meet fellow botl though. Saw his light up a stickand chatted it up with him. Real cool guy. Gonna invite him out to the next herf.
    bigfnsteve:
    stad:
    bigfnsteve:
    Had a good time. It was EXPENSIVE though. Drank ome hoff brau and spaten. Sadly they didnt have any non carbonated. I meet fellow botl though. Saw his light up a stickand chatted it up with him. Real cool guy. Gonna invite him out to the next herf.
    I will show my ingnorance and ask; what is hoff brau and spaten?
    marineatbn03:
    Rain:
    stad:
    Rain:
    stad:
    I feel ya Rain. I would like to try it out, but know nothing, hell, I am still learning cigars
    I say just try it. What have you got to loose? It's quite different from cigar smoking in terms of style, mood, your senses, and even non-smokers perception of it. I think it's worth while to find a good estate pipe and see if you like it. Getting started is pretty easy.
    marineatbn03:
    Rain:
    stad:
    Rain:
    stad:
    No doubt..I can't even tell what a cigars size is just by looking at it. I don't know 3/4s of the makers..too much to learn. Throw pipes in there right now and my head might explode.
    I may get a cob, cuz they are super cheap, but what kind of tobbaco would be recommended? I know nothing about them.
    Just depends what you like. I love aromatics and have never tried anything else though I have tins and mason jars full of other types. Smoking up my open aromatics since they do not tend to age well. I would start with aromatics though. Most tobacconist that deal in pipes will let you smoke a bowl if you take your pipe in. That way you don't have to commit to a tin if you don't like it. If you are still overseas maybe we can throw together some baggie samplers for you.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    jsnake:
    Just depends what you like. I love aromatics and have never tried anything else though I have tins and mason jars full of other types. Smoking up my open aromatics since they do not tend to age well. I would start with aromatics though. Most tobacconist that deal in pipes will let you smoke a bowl if you take your pipe in. That way you don't have to commit to a tin if you don't like it. If you are still overseas maybe we can throw together some baggie samplers for you.

Man I wish I was in KC, down here I have never found a B&M that would let me smoke a little before buying!
    I have 4 B&M's here that you can go in and sample pipe tobacco. Didn't realize how lucky I was. KC is home to XIKAR and McClelland.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    I may get a cob, cuz they are super cheap, but what kind of tobbaco would be recommended? I know nothing about them.
    Cobs are super cheap, and I'm not trying to discourage you from starting there, but they don't last long. I've used them for things like motorcycle trips where I'm afraid of losing them, or packing wrong and ending up with a broken stem.

Consider though, the pipe I was smoking while walking through the woods yesterday, I bought in 1985. Smokes wonderfully. Of course, it is on its second stem.

On another note, when we still had a tobacco dealer here, he'd give you small bags of different tobacco's to try. Nowadays that's harder to find.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I just wanted to start with a cob because if it is something I do not like, I ma not out much. Versus buying a 50+ pipe.
    marineatbn03:
    I just wanted to start with a cob because if it is something I do not like, I ma not out much. Versus buying a 50+ pipe.
    You will not only "like" it you will fall on your knees and announce to the world you LOVE it! LOL! Spring for a decent one, quality pipes smoke much better. They are easier to keep lit, stay cooler etc... You can also buy an estate pipe as an alternative to buying new.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $55 for a butz choquin pipe and I think its a great little pipe. I kinda figured I'd really dig the pipe thing though, and I do. Its nice to have a choice between a pipe and cigar. Especially since you can pack however much tobacco in a pipe that you have time for. Pipe smoking in the car is my new fav thing driving to work in the morning (I need to try some early morning pipe tobacco!).

Its addicting though (pipe buying,not smoking). Know have a list of multiple pipes and tobaccos I want! Lol. Lots of fun, I think if you enjoy cigars, you will find pipe smoking just as enjoyable, yet very different.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America