First Pistol

2»

Comments

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    duckshooter:
    Rain:
    jadelt:
    jadelt:
    Actually there is a lot to consider. I am a firearms instructor and will be glad to help... PM me for more info
    I also teach at a range in Dallas so if you want to come up we can go over a lot of stuff and you can shoot a wide variety of things to see what fits and feels good.
    Thanks guys, really a lot here to think about. I had not even thought about the shotgun. I may just do this. Having carried a 9mm in Iraq/Afghanistan (my only realy experiance with weapons, sadly), I'm not very convinced in it's stopping power, which again makes the shotgun a good idea. Because I'm not convinced in a high pressure situation that she would be able/remember to use the sights. I suppose the best advice is to find one that we both like.
    I spent the last 6 months in the same boat as you. New pistol owner, 9 vs 40 debate, brand of guns, what cartridges to use.........I researched and researched and researched. Shot a 9, shot a 40, but never a 45. Found out I enjoyed shooting the 9 a lot more and was way more accurate with less snap on the gun, I also quickly figured out Glocks weren't for me. So I went back and read even more on the whole 9 vs 40 power argument. You carried a 9mm in the military which after all the research I've read it means you had to carry ball ammo correct? Which if you research is what gives the 9mm a bad name to some people. Check out the modern day hollow points as they make a 9 mm a very legit home defense weapon, plus extended round capacity in a normal magazine versus the .40 and .45. In the end I went with a SW M&P 9mm for a few reasons. I could shoot it well, I can carry 17 in the magazine and 1 chambered for 18 shots, and the ammo price is a little cheaper. I've done my research and I have total confidence in the gun if I do my job with shot placement. As others have stated though what works for me may not work for you.
    I am not sure what the laws are in your state, but many states have laws against having more ammo in the gun than the magazine allows, i.e., a 15 round magazine with 15 rounds and 1 extra dropped in the chamber. Just a word of caution. If it stays in your home then I wouldn't worry, but if you use it as a carry weapon you may want to read up on it.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah if you both will be using it maybe a 38 revolver.dont have to worry about misfires or jams .just pull the trigger.we bought a 44 magnum for our first gun and was alittle to much for the wife to fire comfortably.so we went and got her a ultra lite 9 by taurus 22mag 10 shots small and easy to shoot.so we both like having our own .food for thought
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    My wife's carry is a Taurus 9mm, and she had to have it in pink, we are also going to get her a matching .380 for concealed carry.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    Glock1975:
    i am on the ohio special response team, and i would have to say Glock is the best gun out there, that's all we carry as far as handguns, can't go wrong with a glock 40.
    Ray, this is subjective. I too am a fan of Glock, I carry a G32 for my concealed weapon and love the reliability of Glock. In my opinion it is hard to beat the reliability and price point of Glock products. But even being a fan, I admit that there are weapons out there that are superior. Kimber makes one of the best hand guns out there, I just will not carry one because of the steps neccessary to have to fire it. Which gun is better than others is really in the eye of the beholder.
    I agree with ya, can't really go wrong with either, glock is just what we carry and have shot for years, i guess it's just cause i'm so used to it.