Home Cigar 101

wrappers

monkmonk Posts: 1
why are the wrappers on my cigars splitting after i light  them . my humidity is between 65-70% at all times. i rarely smoke them under 6mos. in my humidor. i'm thinking my hygrometer is wrong, plus this is happening only to the light colored wrappers .

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I know from experience that some wrappers are certainly more delicate than others. But in your case, since it only happens when you light them, I'd be inclined to say it sounds like a humidity issue. Do you use a digital hygrometer or an analog one? If digital, have you calibrated it recently? And, if analog, why haven't you gone digital? All the cool kids go digital.

Joe
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have experienced the same problem if I smoke a cigar to quickly, it will heat up and crack in the middle, it could be that or the humidity problem joe mentioned. any other suggestions ?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I can't think of anything to add to what you guys have already said. Well, not anything helpful, anyway.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Urbino ... What's going on in the land of the " king " tonight ?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Darn little, kas. Had a storm. That's about it. Sittin' here listening to Letterman. I'm thinking about scratching myself, later.

How 'bout you? What's up with the big shoulders?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sometimes its the humidity difference between the cigar and the air. is it very dry out where you are? or overly humid?
  • Where are you cutting your cigar? If you cut below the cap it can start to unwrap.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    College_kid:
    If you cut below the cap it can start to unwrap.
    good point. however i took this question as the end thats lit is the end that splits.