Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Warning: Data "bleeding" with iOS 6

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Warning to any friend with an iPhone: If you have an iPhone 5 or you updated to the iOS 6, you are at risk of data bleeding. Attaching your phone to a wifi network can still register as using cellular data. If you see your data usage on your cell phone suddenly spike after updating to the iOS 6, that's the reason.

When attaching your iPhone to wifi, please go to settings to turn cellular data off and keep a sharp eye on your data usage until cell phone companies come up with a temporary solution or Apple fixes this glitch. Overage charges on data can be a huge pain.

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I don't have an iPhone, but this is good information. Good looking out brother.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Warning to any friend with an iPhone: If you have an iPhone 5 or you updated to the iOS 6, you are at risk of data bleeding. Attaching your phone to a wifi network can still register as using cellular data. If you see your data usage on your cell phone suddenly spike after updating to the iOS 6, that's the reason.

When attaching your iPhone to wifi, please go to settings to turn cellular data off and keep a sharp eye on your data usage until cell phone companies come up with a temporary solution or Apple fixes this glitch. Overage charges on data can be a huge pain.

Wayne, thanks very much for the 'heads-up'. I just followed your advice and turned it off. I'll sure keep an eye on my data usage, too, as you suggest. Much appreciated, Bro.

• Options
    NeleneaNelenea Posts: 90
    Will this affect iPhone4? Just curious, I haven't updated my 4 to iOS6 yes due to the AppleMapFail. I like my GoogleMaps
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I just got a 4s and I've never thought of turning off cell data before.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Apple sux at security. One would think that after the A$$ whoop'n they got when Win7 vs Leopard tests were done over security they would get their act together.