Home Ratings & Reviews

Hammer + Sickle

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
HAMMER + SICKLE
6x50 Toro

I'm having a hard time finding a lot of info on these. They are a new venture for the company that makes the fantastic Hammer+Sickle Vodka, which I have had, and enjoyed. The cigar itself is very attractive. It freatures a Dominican Connecticut wrapper (as well as Dominican binder and filler)which is silky smooth, almost entirely free of veins. It is a medium caramel color, with no blemishes, or color imperfections. The pack is fairly dense, with no soft spots, but is not rock hard or anything either.

The aroma off the foot is of mild tobacco, with a slightly floral hint to it. The cold draw is loose, with a spicy floral flavor to it that I very much enjoy. It will be interesting to see how the floral notes translate into smoking flavor.

Lit at 11:14pm.

Immediately the flavors are delicate and nutty. The draw is too loose, requiring a quick double puff to generate any significant smoke. There is a pretty decent pepper flavor and burn on the finish, which lasts, especially as a sensation, for a good long time. Through the nose there is a sweet creamy vanilla flavor that I have come to associate mostly with Dominican cigars like this one.

Getting a little way into the first third, the burn line is a little wavy, but alternating, and fairly well self correcting. Flavors are creamy tobacco, and a nice spice, like cinnamon or nutmeg, with a light vanilla through the nose. All in all this is one of my favorite kinds of flavor profiles. The finish is light, but lasts with a very mild pepper and cinnamon flavor. The ash holds for the entire first third, and seems dense. It has a gorgeous bright white color to it.

Just before the start of the second third, I'm starting to get a sweet cherry type flavor through the nose, almost like maraschino cherries. Very interesting and delicious to boot! The finish is very smooth and creamy now, with very little of the spice and pepper that was present early on. There is a strange, pungent, musty flavor that this stick leaves on the lips that I've only experienced with a couple of other smokes (Camacho PE, some of the Tat Brown labels)

In the final third, things aren't really chaging much. As usual, the flavors are getting a little richer, and warmer, in this case they aren't really changing into anything different than what was already there. Strength is ramping up noticeably, from pretty mild to a good medium-full.

Ended at 12:55am, for a total burn time of one hour 40 minutes, which is about right for a good toro. Great construction and burn all the way down, as well as some good flavors. I would definitely smoke more of these. They have a great looking band on them (if a little strange/unique for a cigar band) and come in great looking glass "boxes".

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I need to get me a sampler of these when I have money. Maybe communism does taste good lol
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I was hoping for just a biting, sarcastic review:
    "The draw was tight, like the iron grip of Stalin during the purges. The flavors were sluggishly bureaucratic, full of economic failure, mediocrity, and impending collapse. The clay could be tasted due to the "deep plowing" of the Ukrainian tobacco fields. This cigar truly is fit for a kulak!"
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    "The draw was tight, like the iron grip of Stalin during the purges. The flavors were sluggishly bureaucratic, full of economic failure, mediocrity, and impending failure. The clay could be tasted due to the "deep plowing" of the Ukrainian tobacco fields. This cigar truly is fit for a kulak!"
    Your snarky responses always crack me up
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    "The draw was tight, like the iron grip of Stalin during the purges. The flavors were sluggishly bureaucratic, full of economic failure, mediocrity, and impending collapse. The clay could be tasted due to the "deep plowing" of the Ukrainian tobacco fields. This cigar truly is fit for a kulak!"
    fantastic
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I saw these at a local B&M when they came out and I was really interested in them....until I heard they were made by Davidoff. Maybe I'll pick one up. Nice review.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I saw these at a local B&M when they came out and I was really interested in them....until I heard they were made by Davidoff. Maybe I'll pick one up. Nice review.
    Not a fan of Davidoff?
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Not at all. And that B&M seems to really push them. I don't know if they have some kind of deal with Davidoff, but they're always advertising that they carry them and always pushing them like crack dealers. I took their advice 2 or 3 times and wasted a lot of money on cigars that I didn't enjoy at all. Partagas doesn't really have much place in my heart either, but there are at least a few of those that I like a little.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Not at all. And that B&M seems to really push them. I don't know if they have some kind of deal with Davidoff, but they're always advertising that they carry them and always pushing them like crack dealers. I took their advice 2 or 3 times and wasted a lot of money on cigars that I didn't enjoy at all. Partagas doesn't really have much place in my heart either, but there are at least a few of those that I like a little.
    I really hate it when salespeople are pushy. It definitely reduces the attractiveness of a brand for me. Thankfully, all the B&Ms in my area are not like that.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    TatuajeVI:
    In Soviet Russia, cigar smoke you.

I guess I could use a few of these for when I have my AK's out at the range.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dropped by the cigar lounge last night to talk business with a friend. They were clearing out Hammer and Sickle churchills for half price -- four and small change apiece. Not a bad cigar at all. I was busy talking business, so no chance to note down a proper review, but really a good smoke.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I've got one Hammer & Sickle Berliner Mauer (Wall) 1961 - 1989 toro. It has a shimmering copper looking band and a beautiful light tan wrapper. It was gifted to me by a good friend, and it's been sitting in my box for about a year. I've read a few reviews; it's supposed to be a mild -med cigar, very plesant with enough changes to keep you interested. Other than that, I'm clueless.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Bought a box several weeks ago (maybe months now...) and I really like them. Mild and good with coffee in the morning. I love the box, very classy.