Home Non Cigar Related

Jim Bob's Boozy Bottle Reviews

jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
So, I have wanted to try my hand at liquor reviews for awhile, being the drunkard that I am. So, since JDH so kindly beat me down with a new bottle of Irish whiskey, I am going to start. Hoping to do this weekly. Feel free to tell me how much I suck/suggestions on improvements. Thanks all.

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH sent me a sample of this bottle this past week, and I have now had a chance to give it a taste. Thank you so much for giving me the chance to experience this unique Irish whiskey. You bring a tear to this drunken bum's eye.

Bottle appearance: Simple faux decanter style bottle. Does a good job showing the whiskey. As I only have a sample flask, I cannot comment on feel and label quality. All in all, looks like a bottle I would love on my bar. Simple and tasteful, letting the whiskey do the talking.

First impressions: Wow this whiskey is pale. Even for a young Irish, it is very light in color. For reference, the whiskey on the left is the Greenore, and the one on the right is my default Irish, Redbreast 12 year.

Nose: I will admit, with how pale the whiskey looks and how thin it seems when swirled I wasn't expecting much out of the nose. I was wrong. While the nose is very light, it is full of sweet vanilla and lemon. There is another flavor there too, something herbal. Like grass or maybe even mild tobacco. Just a hint, but it lets me know it is there.

Taste: I taste all my whiskey twice. Neat, then with a splash of water to open it up. This whiskey has great flavors neat, and the low proof keeps your palate from being overwhelmed. It has light mouth-feel. Not overly watery, but it isn't one of those 'stick to your teeth' whiskeys. It sits nicely on my tongue as I taste. Lots of vanilla and oak. The lemon balances the sweetness, and just the lightest hint of that herbal I talked of before. Very nice for sipping neat. That being said, a small splash of water opens this up and the flavors really blossom. The vanilla is still the main flavor balanced by the oak. But the lemon really comes forward, with a little banana and caramel for good measure. It also let me put my finger on that herbal flavor. It's hay. Damp, fresh harvest, with earthy undertones hay. And it really brings the entire dram together.

Finish: Goes down smooth, with very little flavor left in my mouth. Crisp and clean. More like a high distilled vodka or artisan spirit than a whiskey. Probably not surprising due to the 94% distillation point on the mash bill before it goes into the casks. A little harsh at the very end, but not nearly as much as its age would lead you to believe.

Overall Impression: Very nice whiskey. The large amount of corn is very noticeable. If I hadn't been told it was Irish, I would have marked it down as a young bourbon. I feel it lacks a lot of the ripe fruits and sugar sweetness that mark the complexities of an Irish whiskey to me. The thin feel of it also doesn't appeal to me, but I think it would sit nicely with those that enjoy vodka as their drink of choice. I think I am going to try to get my hands the 15 year, as I think a little more age will fill this beauty out in all the right places. That said, what it does do, it does very well. The vanilla and lemon are clean, and I detected no impurities in my tasting. Thanks again JDH for the chance to try this. 3.5/5
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Nice review! I did not know how much went in to a drink...much like a cigar.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review.. I agree with Randy, I always thought cigars were all the same and alcohol was used to get drunk. Not so, for once I've taken some time to savor which is a first thanks to these threads. I personally would like suggestions from a price point perspective. What I want to buy isn't always what I can afford to buy. Thanks for taking the time to review.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Nice review.. I agree with Randy, I always thought cigars were all the same and alcohol was used to get drunk. Not so, for once I've taken some time to savor which is a first thanks to these threads. I personally would like suggestions from a price point perspective. What I want to buy isn't always what I can afford to buy. Thanks for taking the time to review.
    +1 I am always down for a great libation, but can't always afford the top shelf. And while vodka is my preferred, I enjoy a refined whisky every now and then.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Well sir, I think you just about nailed it. This is not your two fisted big hearted powerhouse of a whiskey. It's a classic, light, summer sippin whiskey, and becuse I love and appreciate good bourbon, this has a famaliarity because of the corn base. If it were a cigar, it'd be along the lines of a Tat El Triunfador; in fact I love to pair the two. Both have a terrific, mild-medium body and almost perfect flavor profiles that compliment each other like a hand in a glove.

Don't know if you've had any other whiskies made by this distiller (Cooley), but I am going to continue my comparison to Pete Johnsons cigars, because the others are much bolder, just like the rest of the Tat line. If you're looking for an Irish Whiskey with a definate peat blast check out the Connemara Peated Single Malt, another Cooley product.

http://www.connemarawhiskey.com/#/home/

I wanted you to try the Greenore because you are a true whiskey hound, and I thought you'd appreciate something just a little bit different. FYI - I've had a few pours of the 15 year, and it is really outstanding, but because I'm so cheap I only buy the 8 year, besides, it's hard enough to get this stuff, much less the 18 year.
    JDH:
    Well sir, I think you just about nailed it. This is not your two fisted big hearted powerhouse of a whiskey. It's a classic, light, summer sippin whiskey, and becuse I love and appreciate good bourbon, this has a famaliarity because of the corn base. If it were a cigar, it'd be along the lines of a Tat El Triunfador; in fact I love to pair the two. Both have a terrific, mild-medium body and almost perfect flavor profiles that compliment each other like a hand in a glove.

Don't know if you've had any other whiskies made by this distiller (Cooley), but I am going to continue my comparison to Pete Johnsons cigars, because the others are much bolder, just like the rest of the Tat line. If you're looking for an Irish Whiskey with a definate peat blast check out the Connemara Peated Single Malt, another Cooley product.

http://www.connemarawhiskey.com/#/home/

I wanted you to try the Greenore because you are a true whiskey hound, and I thought you'd appreciate something just a little bit different. FYI - I've had a few pours of the 15 year, and it is really outstanding, but because I'm so cheap I only buy the 8 year, besides, it's hard enough to get this stuff, much less the 18 year.
    I agree on the summer sippin whiskey. The whole time I tasted it, I thought it sounded great with a little sprite and an orange wedge. Might try that tonight.

I have tried some of Cooley's other offerings, specifically Kilbeggan, both the NAS and the 18. Very unique whiskey that. The 18 had hints of honest to God tabasco, and not in a bad way. Seems like this distillery makes some unusual beverages.

Also, I realized I never really gave any info on my rating scale. I figured out awhile ago I don't need a lot of range to tell if a whiskey is bad, but many more levels to say how much I like a whiskey. Basically a 2/5 is my 'average whiskey', if there is such a thing, with anything below that as things I would avoid.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Excellent review, Jim. After some research yesterday, you nailed it. I'll be ordering my bottle of the 8 year this weekend.
    "...I thought it sounded great with a little sprite and an orange wedge. Might try that tonight...."

Try it with Club Soda or Tonic instead of Sprite.
    Toombes:
    Excellent review, Jim. After some research yesterday, you nailed it. I'll be ordering my bottle of the 8 year this weekend.
    Where are you getting it Daniel?
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Fermented beverage is the Devil's brew!
    For shame the mention of ugliness!
    Evil lurks in the liquor bottle my friends, beware the wicked deceiver of men!
    Now pills.........
    That's a different story.
    :-)

As a former partaker of fine beverage, I applaud your review for the wealth of information you presented.
    Sort of makes me yearn for my younger days when drinking was a way of life!
    RBeckom:
    Maybe so, but the angels get their share every quarter.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Toombes:
    Where are you getting it Daniel?

PM to you, David.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    RBeckom:
    Maybe so, but the angels get their share every quarter.

:-)
    Bigshizza:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will mark the approximate prices on future reviews, the Greenore 8 can be had for ~$45-$50. I try not to think of price when tasting, but I know it has swayed me in the past to rate more expensive stuff better.

Maybe after a few reviews a posting of my favorites at various price ranges? Any suggestions on those ranges? After talking to JDH when he offered this tasting, I found my thoughts on value pricing are not nearly universal. I was thinking:

less than $35
    $35-$75
    $75-$150
    $150+
    marineatbn03:
    Bigshizza:
    +1 I am always down for a great libation, but can't always afford the top shelf. And while vodka is my preferred, I enjoy a refined whisky every now and then.
    If you like vodka, this Greenore would be a great whiskey for you. Also, since you are the first to name a spirit, next review will be a Vodka review.
    jthanatos:
    Bigshizza:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will mark the approximate prices on future reviews, the Greenore 8 can be had for ~$45-$50. I try not to think of price when tasting, but I know it has swayed me in the past to rate more expensive stuff better.

Maybe after a few reviews a posting of my favorites at various price ranges? Any suggestions on those ranges? After talking to JDH when he offered this tasting, I found my thoughts on value pricing are not nearly universal. I was thinking:

less than $35
    $35-$75
    $75-$150
    $150+
    Yea, but I'm a notorious cheapscate, so pay me no nevermind.
    jthanatos:
    Bigshizza:

less than $35
    $35-$75
    $75-$150
    $150+
    I just need to justify an occasional alcohol purchase..harder to hide than cigars. You know what I mean. What's the "best" in a particular price range. Thank god I got a bottle of Zaya because my wife tasted it at the cigar show I went to and she happened to sample a bit and liked it.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    I just need to justify an occasional alcohol purchase..harder to hide than cigars. You know what I mean. What's the "best" in a particular price range. Thank god I got a bottle of Zaya because my wife tasted it at the cigar show I went to and she happened to sample a bit and liked it.
    It usually helps if you find something she likes. Of course, my girlfriend usually picks the most expensive bottle on the table to "like." I still need to order a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet for her.
    Rob1110:
    Bigshizza:
    It usually helps if you find something she likes. Of course, my girlfriend usually picks the most expensive bottle on the table to "like." I still need to order a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet for her.
    This is most certainly the key. I also like to use the 'per drink' justification. One 750mL bottle has about 17 pours in it. A 50 dollar bottle is $3 a drink. You will pay more than that for soda at many restaurants. Compare with wine, which gives you about 5 pours per bottle.
    jthanatos:
    Rob1110:
    Bigshizza:
    This is most certainly the key. I also like to use the 'per drink' justification. One 750mL bottle has about 17 pours in it. A 50 dollar bottle is $3 a drink. You will pay more than that for soda at many restaurants. Compare with wine, which gives you about 5 pours per bottle.
    That makes dollars and sense! Thanks