Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Quick cigar note

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
CAO Consert...gifted by a friend.

It starts with strong spicy kick with tons of chocolate and sweet floral aroma. It definetly has tobacco from Nicaraguan Condega(sweet floral) and Esteli(strong spice). It is pretty smooth and creamy with a sharp harshness at the end. The burn is good but need couple of torch up, perfect draw. produces a lot of smoke, thick and lush.

At the 2/3, spicy leathery flavor with strong dark coffee note is enjoyable. Retrohale is little challengeing because of the harsh edge. The black peppery spiciness ends with caramely sweetness. The person who gave me this cigar told me that there is a tobacco from Honduras call "Tapaneco" which is wild tobacco leaf. It has a heavy body. I cannot verify this with full confidence. However, I cannot find any complexity at this stage. The floral aroma is gone.

At final/3 stage the cigar is medium to full and clost to bold. It is bruning slowly because of oily wrapper. It is a sun grown Ecuadorian wrapper but very smooth and silky. The black peppery spiciness is very strong with molasses-caramely sweetness. It reminds me a lot of Liga Privada T52. I still feel the harshness. The distinctive flavor is sweet-bitter dark chocolate with a mild tangy aroma at the back. I am not getting any new flavor and aroma.

Overall, a good medium-full bodied smoke. This cigar offers great value with $7 price tag. This is not like any other CAO cigar.

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Review a cigar with detail requires some time, specially with my bad habit of trying to take balanced shots LOL. I smoke a lot of cigar and do not review because I prefer to review with great detail. This is the reason why I started this thread for some quick cigar notes. Hope you guys don't mind.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't mind at all. I like it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I really liked it a lot, got my hands on a pre release in July and let it sit for awhile. I did t get much harshness, and I felt like it was a blend that needed some marrying of the oils. Overall, I agree for the money it is a good smoke and unlike any other CAO. I plan on grabbing a fiver and putting them down for a bit.
    In fact, I am thinking the same. Get 5-10 and age them a little. Did you find some burn issue? The wrapper is very oily and it reminds me of Dominican Yamasa wrapper. No matter how hard you try the burn will be slow and uneven.
    catfishbluezz:
    I really liked it a lot, got my hands on a pre release in July and let it sit for awhile. I did t get much harshness, and I felt like it was a blend that needed some marrying of the oils. Overall, I agree for the money it is a good smoke and unlike any other CAO. I plan on grabbing a fiver and putting them down for a bit.
    Thanks Tony!
    0patience:
    We don't mind at all. I like it.
    rzaman:
    In fact, I am thinking the same. Get 5-10 and age them a little. Did you find some burn issue? The wrapper is very oily and it reminds me of Dominican Yamasa wrapper. No matter how hard you try the burn will be slow and uneven.
    catfishbluezz:
    not that I remember, I burned it to the nub. I was very impressed coming from CAO honestly.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    This review sounds like nothing of CAO that I know of. I'm not a fan of it at all... But this sound pretty darn good. I'm gonna go on a hunt for a couple now. Great quick format btw Rip. I like it
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it. Not only do we get the supermodels "beautiful women" reviews on the other thread, now we get the " girl next door/ the girl at the coffee shop " thread. Best of both worlds. More pls.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    LMAO...Daniel you are very funny. I will continue reviewing more quickly notes.
    danielzreyes:
    I love it. Not only do we get the supermodels "beautiful women" reviews on the other thread, now we get the " girl next door/ the girl at the coffee shop " thread. Best of both worlds. More pls.
    Thanks Jliu. Indeed, this is a good smoke and has aging potential. There are some great value cigars in the market and deserve some attention. I find some great cigar$4-7 price line such as CAO Trivieta, Many Carlos Torano, Brick House, Cusano Maduro, Cubao, some AJ's blend etc. etc.
    jliu:
    This review sounds like nothing of CAO that I know of. I'm not a fan of it at all... But this sound pretty darn good. I'm gonna go on a hunt for a couple now. Great quick format btw Rip. I like it
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    I smoke a lot of cigar and do not review because I prefer to review with great detail. This is the reason why I started this thread for some quick cigar notes. Hope you guys don't mind.
    dont mind at all. im the same way. if you are gunna do some thing, do it right.
    Thanks Matt!
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    I smoke a lot of cigar and do not review because I prefer to review with great detail. This is the reason why I started this thread for some quick cigar notes. Hope you guys don't mind.
    dont mind at all. im the same way. if you are gunna do some thing, do it right.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Love the new format, Rip! I've got one to smoke now, but after your review I'm going to pick up a few more to age for a bit. I'm thinking one at 6 months and another at a year plus...
    Thanks Daniel. If you can wait that long with the cigars then you will be rewarded. It has a great age potential.
    Toombes:
    Love the new format, Rip! I've got one to smoke now, but after your review I'm going to pick up a few more to age for a bit. I'm thinking one at 6 months and another at a year plus...
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Nice review Rip. I picked up a couple of these today. Gonna try and light one up tonight.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    im with month!! I'm not a cao fan but I might have to try this one. Thanks for the review
    Money can't buy taste
    During the working week, usually I prefer a mild or medium flavorful cigar after dinner with moderate strength and nicotine. This is one of my comfort and trusted cigar.

The blend has six different tobacco from Dominican Republic according to the cigar maker. It is light and feels good in hand. The wrapper is Ecuadorian grown Connecticut- light brown color, few veins, little oily and smooth. It starts with strong musty earthy flavor, cream, gingerbread, cedar, butterscotch with distinctive roasted nutty aroma at the back. the strength is mild but very flavorful.

2/3: The strength is mild to medium now. The earthy flavor is more dense with above flavors and aroma. I am also detecting aromatic nutmeg powder, eggnog coffee latte flavor with tons of roasted nutty flavor at the back. The delicate white peppery spiciness started gathering at this stage. Retrohale is really enjoyable because it is completely smooth. I also need to mention that this cigar does not produce a lot of smoke but the flavor is fully robust. The texture is very creamy but not thick or mouthful.

Final/3: Then strength is medium and also can feel the tobacco bitterness at the back of my tongue. the top of my tongue can feel the white peppery bite, the middle of my tongue can feel the creamy texture with more earthy, cedar, eggnog coffee latte, gingerbread and tons of nutmeg and cardamom powder aroma at the back. the mild and delicate white peppery note through the nose is very enjoyable.

Final Thought: This is a great and easy smoke with perfect draw and burn. At the end of the day, I can sit with a relaxing mood and enjoy the mild-medium flavorful cigar. Avo XO is one of my all time favorite smoke and never disappoint me. I smoked boxes of this and always maintain a good stock.

I have mentioned this to the Davidoff White 2012 thread that I had a opportunity to talk with some of Davidoof's senior marketing folks. I asked one of them to tell me a little about the six tobacco blend of this cigar. After couple hours of smoking they revealed two tobaccos name to me about this blend. One is Olor and Piloto Cubano. Olor is a indigenous Dominican tobacco which is mild but flavorful and Piloto is a hybreed with Cuban seeds which has more strong body. 99% time blender never tell the truth about a blend. I feel this can be only a 2-3 tobacco blend. The entire flavor profile is pretty flavorful but straight forward from earthy, nutty(Olor) with mild start to medium eggnog coffee latte(Piloto) with some mild to medium flavor and aroma profile. I like this cigar so much that I will need to do a complete review someday. $10 is not a bad price for this quality cigar.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    This is one of my favorites also. Delicate yet complex balance with medium flavor. I agree that it does not produce a lot of smoke yet gives great flavor. I liked this vitola a lot.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My kind of size
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Lol...almost reviewed this the other day, but just enjoyed it as it was my last. I always keep the preludio XO and No 2 classic on hand
    It has a medium brown color wrapper with a pig tail at the end. I always like pigtail cap. The wrapper is fairly smooth, little veiny, the band has a picture of colonial Nicaraguan people. The pre-light draw is little loose with hints of spice, nutt, wood, sweet- earth.

1/3: Surprisingly after lighting it up the draw is perfect not loose at all. It starts with strong spicy kick with black pepper, woody, rough leather, mild cocoa flavors with mild nutty note at the back. I tried to Retrohale and Immideatly stopped myself for the overpowering spiciness through the nose. Close,to an inch, the cigar mellowed out a little. However, it was little painful to smoke so far for the over spiciness. The flavor profile is good so far. It is settling with a nice touch of honey note at this moment. The smoke is also little creamier but back of my tongue hurts for metallic(minerals) harshness. over all flavor wise it is good but this cigar definetly needs rest. The strength is medium but for harshness it feels bolder

2/3: the cigar mellowed out a lot at this stage. Now I feel some aged tobacco sweet-bitterness. I can detect cocoa, earth, herbs but not aromatic herbs, spice with strong nutty and honey note at the back. The nuttiness of the cigar is good. Again, failed to retrohale through the nose for the strong spiciness. The back of my tongue is not hurting anymore. It settled down the overpowering spiciness. The smoke is very creamy, thick and round. There is a very slight floral note after each puff. I believe this what some people say cubansque. IMPO Cubansque means distinctive aromatic fruity-flowery flavors. I couldn't find it in this cigar so far but that doesn't undermine Pinoleros flavor profile. It is pretty good at this stage.

Final/3: The honey sweetness disappeared at this stage which I really enjoyed at 2/3 stage. The leather elemnt is back but not rough any longer with earthy, cocoa, black pepper flavors with nutty finish. I am partially able to rethrohale but releasing it quickly. Otherwsie my nose still hurts. I am not getting any new flavor or aroma.

Final thought: Indeed, it is not like as usual AJ blend. It has no Nicaragua strong coffee, espresso, dark chocolate flavors. It is more cocoa flavor based with tons of nutty finish. This cigar definetly need age to Avoide the metallic-mineral harshness. I don't think, I will buy a box but will smoke it again with some age to see how it performs. However, it does not give me Cubansque character. It is a $8 cigar and price is reasonable. The Cigar has perfect draw and burn.
    I'm glad I waited to pull the trigger, it is hard for me to spend $5-$8 when I can get ISOM for the same money. I will wait a while and grab a single in a trade before I order some. I will say this though, it has been my experience that AJ's blend vary drastically from corona-larger gauges. Some of his stuff I want to throw away in corona, but enjoy 52-54ga. Others are the exact opposite.
    I know your taste buds. You will not like it.
    catfishbluezz:
    I'm glad I waited to pull the trigger, it is hard for me to spend $5-$8 when I can get ISOM for the same money. I will wait a while and grab a single in a trade before I order some. I will say this though, it has been my experience that AJ's blend vary drastically from corona-larger gauges. Some of his stuff I want to throw away in corona, but enjoy 52-54ga. Others are the exact opposite.
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    lol...these days the davidoff bundles keep me plenty happy at $2 a stick. Avo no 2 and preludio or cabaiguan at $6 is hard to compete with too.
    My friend, Davidoff is unique...no matter what they make. Henke Kelner is not only a blender but also a magician. I know some people think Davidoff is overpriced but it is not always true. You put me in a very difficult situation what to choose for you LOL because of my restriction of the DPO mail. Finally, I came to the conclusion how to crap your head off. Sorry bud, you have to wait. I am not going to tell you.

Now imagine of the Cuban made Davidoff. I had couple in Madrid. If I get the Cuban visa, I will definetly get some. My main CC source HE-Man: The Master of the Cuban cigar is having a hard time to collect some but I know he will someday. If I get enough, you will definetly get one.
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    lol...these days the davidoff bundles keep me plenty happy at $2 a stick. Avo no 2 and preludio or cabaiguan at $6 is hard to compete with too.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    As usual, nice review. I smoked a robusto and didn't get detect and harshness at all.
    One of things I really hate is when retailers try to sell non-Cuban cigars by using the word "Cubanesque", but as I was smoking it the only thought that ran through my mind was:

"This reminds me of a Montecristo Petit Edmundo."

rzaman:
    My friend, Davidoff is unique...no matter what they make. Henke Kelner is not only a blender but also a magician. I know some people think Davidoff is overpriced but it is not always true. You put me in a very difficult situation what to choose for you LOL because of my restriction of the DPO mail. Finally, I came to the conclusion how to crap your head off. Sorry bud, you have to wait. I am not going to tell you.

Now imagine of the Cuban made Davidoff. I had couple in Madrid. If I get the Cuban visa, I will definetly get some. My main CC source HE-Man: The Master of the Cuban cigar is having a hard time to collect some but I know he will someday. If I get enough, you will definetly get one.
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    yeah, I am really leaning towards going to the Domincan Republic and visiting Henke's farm if I can. I have made some great friends in the industry that have the proper connections to get me there with the right people. I've really come to appreciate his sublties in the cigars. I look forward to trying a Cuban Davidoff one day, and surely will. I look forward to the surprise my friend.
    Steve, I know why you thought about Edmundo. there is a mild floral note which reminded you something like Cuban. However, to me Cubansque means the blasting aromatic fruity-flowery aroma with sweet earthiness. I completely agree with you, there is no reason to compare with Cuban. I love Cuban but at the same time some Non-Cubans as well. They are all unique and represent their own character. Each country has its different climate, temperature, soil and minerals and each cigar represent their own element and character.
    Steve2010:
    As usual, nice review. I smoked a robusto and didn't get detect and harshness at all.
    One of things I really hate is when retailers try to sell non-Cuban cigars by using the word "Cubanesque", but as I was smoking it the only thought that ran through my mind was:

"This reminds me of a Montecristo Petit Edmundo."

Almost after five years, Davidoff released a flavorful mild-medium bodied limited edition cigar. This is a cigar the company blended for the original customers rather than the market trend for overly powered and big ring gauge cigars. Though it is a $30 cigar but I am happy to see a limited numbers of boxes were released for them who love original style Davidoff cigar.

It starts with tons of earthy flavors and pick up the strength step by step from mild to medium. It is not extremely complex but packed with multi-dimensional flavors and aroma.it starts with strong earth, wood, grass flavors and Chinese pear aroma at the back. The 2/3 adds sweet honey, toasted nut flavors with a lemony finish at the back. The smoke is super smooth, buttery, round and mouthful. There is no sign of harshness at all. At the end of 2/3 it adds additional flavors and aroma of fruits, sweet pear, soft and delicate black peppery finish through the nose, tons of nutty background with a light coffee note at the end. Rethrohale is very enjoyable with the delicate black peppery bite and sweet cedar finish. It picks up medium strength at final/3 with more distinctive coffee flavor with thick earthy aroma. Each puff ends with nutty and lemony finish. The smoke is fully creamy and round. The tobaccos in this cigar must be aged for a long time because the back of my tongue is clean. The sweet earthiness of this cigar is awesome. I am glad I have a box. This cigar does not require any aging because it has a lots of delicate notes at the back. Aging will evaporate these delicate aroma and notes.

This is a quick review. I will review it with great detail in the future. I would like to thank Davaidoff for not forget about us who like the traditional Davidoff cigars. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear the review!! The manager at one of my b&m's was raving about this cigar...the price is pretty high but I will still have to grab a few now when they come in. But thanks for the great review and making this a mindless purchase since I'm now sure it will be worth it!!
    Money can't buy taste