Home Cigar 101

A question for Kuzi

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was watching a video of AJ Fernandez and notice he kept doing a peculiar thing with the cigars he would put them up to his ear and that's something I've never heard of and don't know what he was doing ,what he's listening for but I figured if anybody knew it would be Kuzi.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Post the video, I'd like to see it lol
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I am no Kuzi, but i have heard of rolling the cigar between your fingers and listening to how the wrapper responds. Can be part of a pre-light ritual.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ctschirgi:
    I am no Kuzi, but i have heard of rolling the cigar between your fingers and listening to how the wrapper responds. Can be part of a pre-light ritual.
    this

... but in this case i believe that it is how much the wrapper has lost/gained moisture. I saw him doing this on the rolling floor in his factory.
    dont ask how he tells exactly. i have no idea.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ricky, I do this too sometimes, to check and see if the tobacco "pops" when I roll it. I've noticed that there is usually a slight crackle to em at the rh I like. So if they don't make the noise, then they may be too moist for me.

Maybe I just like to believe that I know what I'm talking about, though haha! I like to roll em around before smoking, though, and feel and listen.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ctschirgi:
    this

... but in this case i believe that it is how much the wrapper has lost/gained moisture. I saw him doing this on the rolling floor in his factory.
    dont ask how he tells exactly. i have no idea.

Bingo! Depending on the Rh the wrapper will have a "silky" crackle to it.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Great, now you guys gave me yet another thing for my buddy to rag on me for. Adding it to the list...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to check this out next time. I've never heard that before.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    The main reason is to check the condition and moisture of the wrapper. This is a very Cuban way to inspect cigar wrapper. In Europe, they don't do it rather than squezze the cigar gently for spingy feeling. They squezze the end, middle and the band part of the cigar.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Ricky, I do this too sometimes, to check and see if the tobacco "pops" when I roll it. I've noticed that there is usually a slight crackle to em at the rh I like. So if they don't make the noise, then they may be too moist for me.

Maybe I just like to believe that I know what I'm talking about, though haha! I like to roll em around before smoking, though, and feel and listen.
    I do this, too. If the wrapper doesn't have a nice little crackle I put it back and choose another...too moist to burn well and the flavors won't be optimal.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot Dog, I'm gonna have to start doing this. Makes sense to me.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

I've been doing it. Don't know ifim doing it right but I always get a little crackling.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    The main reason is to check the condition and moisture of the wrapper. This is a very Cuban way to inspect cigar wrapper. In Europe, they don't do it rather than squezze the cigar gently for spingy feeling. They squezze the end, middle and the band part of the cigar.

Interesting, I picked that up while in Germany. 99% of the time I do that before I cut my cigar.
    It's become part of my ritual now.