Home Cigar 101

Ugh.. Mold again.

WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
We have gel beads in one humi and just gel in the other two. We just found mold all over the gel beads. We tossed the beads. I'm starting to wonder if we are doing everything wrong...

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this Nikki.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    that sux...again!!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the beads in the same humi the Monte #2 was in?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    It was. But the mold on the beads just appeared...
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boveda Boveda Boveda..... But.... I think what Dan is alluding to is that the humi may be ruined. Grab some 65s or 69s from Boveda (I wish I had some to send ya but I know the forum will take care of ya ;) ) If it is green it could be Algae, not mold.... still bad tho.
    Vision:
    Boveda Boveda Boveda..... But.... I think what Dan is alluding to is that the humi may be ruined. Grab some 65s or 69s from Boveda (I wish I had some to send ya but I know the forum will take care of ya ;) ) If it is green it could be Algae, not mold.... still bad tho.
    Thank ya :) We do have some Boveda packs on the way. After the Monte issue I cleaned the whole humi and checked every cigar for mold. And still no mold on any cigars. You really think the humi is done for?? I can't stomach the thought.
    WhoDeyGal:
    It's your humi. It's contaminated.
    danielzreyes:
    WhoDeyGal:
    It can be saved by using alcohol (google it) . It's gonna be a pain in the a$$ process though. I'm sorry. For now, take the cigars out ASAP. Good luck.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I told you before Boveda is the solution. I have been aging 2000 cigars and in total 4000 plus sticks of my collection and completely depend on Boveda. I have been using them almost two years now without any problem.
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    WhoDeyGal:
    It can be saved by using alcohol (google it) . It's gonna be a pain in the a$$ process though. I'm sorry. For now, take the cigars out ASAP. Good luck.
    Wow, that blows. Thanks.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    IMO your Humi is fine. Last time we were talking about this I'm pretty sure one of the last things I said was to keep an eye on the beads that were in the humi with the foam humidifier that molded up. basically the beads got infected as they were the most suceptible. remove the beads!! you can wipe the humi/sticks down as before. ( if you like you can even get some 1000 grit sandpaper and "gently/lightly" sand the humi. Wouldnt worry bout this so much, especially if there are no signs of mold on the humi itself.) Throw in a boveda pack or two and thats it. WHat size humi is this anyhow?
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    IMO your Humi is fine. Last time we were talking about this I'm pretty sure one of the last things I said was to keep an eye on the beads that were in the humi with the foam humidifier that molded up. basically the beads got infected as they were the most suceptible. remove the beads!! you can wipe the humi/sticks down as before. ( if you like you can even get some 1000 grit sandpaper and "gently/lightly" sand the humi. Wouldnt worry bout this so much, especially if there are no signs of mold on the humi itself.) Throw in a boveda pack or two and thats it. WHat size humi is this anyhow?

So the disc was in there with the beads? If that is so the humi may be ok......
    Vision:
    The Kid:

It's a 50ct. I threw the beads away. I was checking the beads ever so often. Just caught it yesterday. I guess I should have just thrown them out the day of the disc and Monte issue. Although I didn't see any mold in the actual humi I still went ahead and wiped it down with alcohol and let it dry over night. I just finished wiping it all down with distilled water and going to let it sit empty until the Boveda packs get here.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ain't that a ***! Hope errrrthing turns out ok for y'all!!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the temp in your humi????
    Money can't buy taste
    WhoDeyGal:
    Vision:
    The Kid:

It's a 50ct. I threw the beads away. I was checking the beads ever so often. Just caught it yesterday. I guess I should have just thrown them out the day of the disc and Monte issue. Although I didn't see any mold in the actual humi I still went ahead and wiped it down with alcohol and let it dry over night. I just finished wiping it all down with distilled water and going to let it sit empty until the Boveda packs get here.
    Oh ok. I agree with these guys. I was given the impression that you replaced the foam with the beads.
    Temp was around 65. Sorry for the confusion. The beads were in there with the foam.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    WhoDeyGal:
    I'm starting to wonder if we are doing everything wrong...
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    WhoDeyGal:
    Why are you still using this? When you get some silica beads your troubles will be over...this should be the #1 commandment of cigars, why people *** around with anything else I just don't understand...
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Diamondog:
    WhoDeyGal:
    Why are you still using this? When you get some silica beads your troubles will be over...this should be the #1 commandment of cigars, why people *** around with anything else I just don't understand...

This is the single most often repeated point I try to pound into newer smokers heads. I have never been happier in Cigar Land than after I discovered Silica beads, and tossed my gel jars and foam in the trashcan. And I believe you are confusing the gel jars sold here and other places with beads. The Gel jars are NOT beads. Listen to DD, get that humi cleaned out and gather yourself some Silica beads (preferrably 65rh since you seem to have higher humidity issues), reseason and this time use silica beads only and you will be shocked how perfectly they hold RH, and how little maintenance they require.
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    blurr:
    Diamondog:
    WhoDeyGal:

This is the single most often repeated point I try to pound into newer smokers heads. I have never been happier in Cigar Land than after I discovered Silica beads, and tossed my gel jars and foam in the trashcan. And I believe you are confusing the gel jars sold here and other places with beads. The Gel jars are NOT beads. Listen to DD, get that humi cleaned out and gather yourself some Silica beads (preferrably 65rh since you seem to have higher humidity issues), reseason and this time use silica beads only and you will be shocked how perfectly they hold RH, and how little maintenance they require.
    Where is the best place to purchase these beads? I have been using the gel jars myself and I would like to try something else.
    Go to this site, input dimensions of storeage and it will indicate how much beads to use, always better to go with a little more:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

Then go here, I recommend 65%rh beads: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%+Rh+Humidity+Beads

Don't bother with the cases, tubes etc.....cut the feet off on stalkings...
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    Awesome. Thanks so much!
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Go to this site, input dimensions of storeage and it will indicate how much beads to use, always better to go with a little more:

Then go here, I recommend 65%rh beads: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%+Rh+Humidity+Beads

When using the stockings do you lay something underneath (dish, plastic, etc)? Isn't there a concern that the moist beads will warp the wood?
    ehehat:
    Diamondog:

When using the stockings do you lay something underneath (dish, plastic, etc)? Isn't there a concern that the moist beads will warp the wood?
    Yes. Tupperware or something like it works perfect.
    Beads do not need to be set in anything....I initially moisten about 60% of the beads, put them in the stalking and when they need moistening after a few months or more, I mist spray the stalking rolling the beads around inside making sure they get the water then dry the stalking ball of beads off with a towel, you really shouldn't have excess water running off them...
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Beads do not need to be set in anything....I initially moisten about 60% of the beads, put them in the stalking and when they need moistening after a few months or more, I mist spray the stalking rolling the beads around inside making sure they get the water then dry the stalking ball of beads off with a towel, you really shouldn't have excess water running off them...
    + 1..i treat my beads the same way.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I agree with beads, Works great in a small humi. My cabinet is in the basement so 60 degrees is average and have an active system with 4 water basins. Atleast you are not in my boat! Found one massively moldy Cojonu 2009 ( I had repaired with with cigar glu tho)
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    I used to have the same problem with my beads even though my humi was only kept around 65%. The problem is that right there on the beads it is humid enough for them to grow mold especially without any airflow on them.

The way I fixed this was by adding half propylene glycol and distilled water to a new batch of beads. After the first time you use the mixture you only need to add distilled water after that because I believe the propylene glycol stays with the beads and does not evaporate with the water. The reason why this works is because the propylene glycol doesn't let the humidity ever go above 70% rh right on the beads. Mold usually doesn't grow unless it is above 70% rh.

You can find propylene glycol by the gallon online (where I got it) or maybe at some stores.

Been working perfectly for me for at least a year now. Hope this helps!
    NectarCigar:
    I used to have the same problem with my beads even though my humi was only kept around 65%. The problem is that right there on the beads it is humid enough for them to grow mold especially without any airflow on them.

The way I fixed this was by adding half propylene glycol and distilled water to a new batch of beads. After the first time you use the mixture you only need to add distilled water after that because I believe the propylene glycol stays with the beads and does not evaporate with the water. The reason why this works is because the propylene glycol doesn't let the humidity ever go above 70% rh right on the beads. Mold usually doesn't grow unless it is above 70% rh.

You can find propylene glycol by the gallon online (where I got it) or maybe at some stores.

Been working perfectly for me for at least a year now. Hope this helps!
    I would not recommend prop glyc on beads....your beads should never be wet enough that they develop mold, if they are you're using too much water...air flow is a good idea in any kind of larger setup, oust fans work great for this they are timed, long life on a battery and move the air around ever so gently to create circulation to keep RH levels more consistent throughout...

Oust fans: http://shopcrownhouse.com/oust-portable-fan-odor-eliminater-clean-scent.html