Home Cigar 101

Heartfelt Humidity Tube

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Anybody use one? I'm looking to pick up some beads, but don't know if I want to buy the beads and the pouches or just get the tube. Trying to find out if there are any drawbacks for either one. The only thing I can really think of is if you can't open the tube or something. image

Comments

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    How big of a humidor are you putting it in and do you plan to expand? It's more about saving money in the future and buying more than enough now. I haven't used that exact tube, but I don't think they are intended to be opened. Obviously, you could open it and put them in some other container though. But I would highly recommend buying the larger sizes in bulk.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I have a 300ct humi, dimensions are 18” W x 12” D x 10 1/2” H. I guess I'll just get the 1/2lb beads and the draw string bag. At least I know then I can add/subtract beads. As for expanding, I doubt it...at least anytime soon. My humi has never got close to being full.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 of those in my 300 count, it's only been about 3 months but all good so far!
    reggie713:
    I have 2 of those in my 300 count, it's only been about 3 months but all good so far!
    Do they open? I notice they sell a special dropper to add water.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I have a 300ct humi, dimensions are 18” W x 12” D x 10 1/2” H. I guess I'll just get the 1/2lb beads and the draw string bag. At least I know then I can add/subtract beads. As for expanding, I doubt it...at least anytime soon. My humi has never got close to being full.

I'd recommend buying a full pound. That way you can add more beads as needed when you DO expand your setup. I skipped the bag they offer and put mine in the tray of a MOWPA box, slid the tray back in and I'm good to go. The opening in the front lets just enough moisture in or out. A couple of small Tupperware containers with holes punched in the top work well, too. If you want to go the cheap route, snag a pair of your significant other's pantyhose and snip the feet off. Fill 'em full and tie them off.
    As for the "special" syringe, any syringe or eye-dropper will work. You only want 60-70% of the beads to be wet so a good eye-balling to get the required amount, spritz them down and mix everything back together. Stop by Wally World or any other place that sells the small spray bottles, fill it with distilled water and you're good to go.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    At least I know then I can add/subtract beads.
    You can never have too many beads. The more you have, the more stable it should be.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Rain:
    reggie713:
    I have a couple of them (wish I had more) The End caps slide off to recharge.

I bought a pound of beads, two mesh bags and two tubes. I use the tubes in my 20 ct humidors and the mesh bags in my 125 ct. Much more cost effective to buy a pound of beads and the tubes rather than the already filled tubes. I also use a tube in my travel humi. If you buy tubes make sure you get the cap color to match his standard humidity level beads. That way you wont forget what you got. I did 65% and blue end caps like he sells. I am very happy.
    jadelt:
    Rain:
    reggie713:

I bought a pound of beads, two mesh bags and two tubes. I use the tubes in my 20 ct humidors and the mesh bags in my 125 ct. Much more cost effective to buy a pound of beads and the tubes rather than the already filled tubes. I also use a tube in my travel humi. If you buy tubes make sure you get the cap color to match his standard humidity level beads. That way you wont forget what you got. I did 65% and blue end caps like he sells. I am very happy.
    I did not notice that they sell empty tubes. I could make it a win/win by buying the loose beads, the empty bag and the empty tubes. But the empty tubes are 10 bucks a pop, so I think I'll just get the bags for like 3 bucks.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Rain:

I'd recommend buying a full pound. That way you can add more beads as needed when you DO expand your setup. I skipped the bag they offer and put mine in the tray of a MOWPA box, slid the tray back in and I'm good to go. The opening in the front lets just enough moisture in or out. A couple of small Tupperware containers with holes punched in the top work well, too. If you want to go the cheap route, snag a pair of your significant other's pantyhose and snip the feet off. Fill 'em full and tie them off.
    As for the "special" syringe, any syringe or eye-dropper will work. You only want 60-70% of the beads to be wet so a good eye-balling to get the required amount, spritz them down and mix everything back together. Stop by Wally World or any other place that sells the small spray bottles, fill it with distilled water and you're good to go.
    +1 to what Daniel is saying here. I say +1 b/c I use it and it works incredibly well. if you really want to spend lets say NO money for bags, go to your local USPS and grab some of those tyvek envelops. it's usually marked on express mail. tyvek works great b/c it is highly durable and water vapor can pass through Tyvek (it's very breathable), but liquid water won't seep through it. My winador and coolers have beads in those envelops as well as simple, cheap plastic trays.
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    In my display Humi I use the tubes that are longer, like a churchil size. That way it still fits sticks nicely and not wasting space. You just need more of them, because it only holds like 2oz. But, i do like them.
    Rain:
    jadelt:
    Rain:
    reggie713:

I did not notice that they sell empty tubes. I could make it a win/win by buying the loose beads, the empty bag and the empty tubes. But the empty tubes are 10 bucks a pop, so I think I'll just get the bags for like 3 bucks.
    The EMPTY tubes are $3.95 or $4.95 .... the fillled tubes are $10 or $12. I just use the small tubes for my 20 ct humi and travel humi.
    jadelt:
    Rain:
    jadelt:
    Rain:
    reggie713:

The EMPTY tubes are $3.95 or $4.95 .... the fillled tubes are $10 or $12. I just use the small tubes for my 20 ct humi and travel humi.
    I should clarify, the Empty Extra Large tube is 9 bucks, the filled Extra Large Tube is 22.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Definitely buy a full pound, its more economical and you can always use it for a cheap and excellent quick storage increase with a cooler in the future. And I have great success being a macguyver creating containers out of a multitude of household items, and being cheap I always go that route. Either way you go the beads are the best, simplest, most reliable form of humidification. You will NOT be disapointed trust me.
  • slum_lordeslum_lorde Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Toombes:
    Rain:

I know it's not mentioned regarding panty hose, but I'd take a good whiff off them before using them like this. I bought a pair for this purpose, and they kind of smelled--and yes, they were brand new. It was kind of a sweet, almost a faint perfume smell. The hose might have been treated in some fashion.

I had another bag of beads made using panty hose in a coolidor for perhaps a year or two. I noticed that this "bag" too had a faint odor to it as well, even after all this time. I don't know if it did anything to my cigars.

All this is just something to consider.
  • Toombes:
    If you want to go the cheap route, snag a pair of your significant other's pantyhose and snip the feet off. Fill 'em full and tie them off.
    And if you wanna go the assbeat route, don't tell her about it and put them back in her drawer ROFLMAO!!!
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    HarleyHetz:
    Toombes:
    If you want to go the cheap route, snag a pair of your significant other's pantyhose and snip the feet off. Fill 'em full and tie them off.
    And if you wanna go the assbeat route, don't tell her about it and put them back in her drawer ROFLMAO!!!
    What happens if you buy a pair of pantyhose and the wife finds them in your humidor with a bunch of beads in 'em? You got some 'splainin' to do, Looocy!
    raisindot:
    HarleyHetz:
    Toombes:
    What happens if you buy a pair of pantyhose and the wife finds them in your humidor with a bunch of beads in 'em? You got some 'splainin' to do, Looocy!
    "Babe, they came with the beads!"
    Taco.
    Just got my first half pound of beads. Added the 1/2 ounce of distilled water and threw em in...let's see how it does. Not a fan of the drawstring puch they sent, I'm going to be using something else.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck man!! I use chinese food soup containers...seems to work well for me
    Money can't buy taste
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    The panty hose trick works great for me but I'm using a dark color now and it makes it a little hard to check the color of the beads for recharging.
    65% on the dot as of this morning. I like.
  • biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    Rain:

Mine has been the same way. Absolutely love it!
    Rain:
    i am quite happy with mine.... i actually like the drawstring bag they sell..... what dont you like about it ? I also use the small tubes in 20ct humidors. My best investment.
    I may change my stance on this. At first, it seemed like I could not make it tight enough and some beads might come out. Maybe I was afraid that I was going to break it? Having messed with it, I don't think that's the case.