Home Cigar 101

Feeling Duped

ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
I fell for the drastically cut prices on a Gurkha sampler thinking "how can I go wrong with the 'reviews' by the seller?" This was before I was directed to this forum; wont make that mistake again but now I'm stuck with sticks that are falling apart! Is this a Gurkha thing or am I doing something wrong? I've let them settle for close to a month, I've calibrated my hygrometer and maintain a pretty level 65-70% rh. I also only seem to have this problem with the Gurkhas. Others I've had longer have been fine but the three Gurkha sticks I've lit have all done the same thing. Crack along the foor almost immediately after lighting: image But worse is the cap keep unraveling! I KNOW I'm not cutting past the cap: image This shot is really at the beginning. All three just keep unrolling to the point of not being able to continue. So again, Am I doing something wrong or did I just get duped into buying dog rockets?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Most Gurkha's I've smoked had construction issues, so I try to avoid them. Well, that and I plain don't like most of them. Sorry bro.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Learning that the hard way. I'm sure I'm not the first to learn this lesson but now I'm stuck with a humi full of sticks that are un smokable. I've signed up for some trades but can't bring myself to unload these on some unsuspecting BOTL. oh well, back to the drawing board.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    Learning that the hard way. I'm sure I'm not the first to learn this lesson but now I'm stuck with a humi full of sticks that are un smokable. I've signed up for some trades but can't bring myself to unload these on some unsuspecting BOTL. oh well, back to the drawing board.
    Well, make no mistake, some people like them. Dustin has the same issue with LP #9's, ie they fall apart on him. Most people love #9's and have no issues, but somehow Dustin just had bad luck with them. If the wrapper is cracked beforehand, that's on thing, but if they just fall apart on you....could be a little bit of bad luck.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of people like Gurkha out there, look for the thread titled "top three you don't want in your humi" and post them for trade there.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    There isn't a lot of love for Gurkha on this board, construction being one of the reasons. There are experienced BOTL who do like them, though. Throw up a post in the trades section and see if any Gurkha lovers respond. Anyone who likes them will know what they are getting.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I got no love for gurhka!! The msrp is rediculous and I have not had one I could say was worth more then $5 to me. That said some people do like them and Dustin raises a good point on the thread. For the future if it sounds to good to be true well...it's not and they are just trying to get them out of the stock room!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it may be a combo of Gurkha and operator error.

a cracked cap on the cut could be either them or you one and so could a cigar exploding while smoking.

however, given the brand i would tend to think that it is on the manufactures side that the issue occured.
    kuzi16:

a cracked cap on the cut could be either them or you one and so could a cigar exploding while smoking.

however, given the brand i would tend to think that it is on the manufactures side that the issue occured.
    I'd love to hear what I could be doing to contribute to this. My thought was it was the brand since it hasn't happened to any of the other sticks I've smoked but I'm more than willing to think it could be me since I'm so new to this. I'd especially like to know if its me before I blow up a more expensive smoke.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Back in 2005ish, Gurkha was near the top as far as premium cigars go. Since then they've flooded the market with quantity, rather than quality (can anyone keep up with all the releases?) the construction seems to have taken a downward slide.

Every week at our herf with the Soldiers, I always hear the inevitable question "Do you guys have any Gurks?"

There's always a few in the community humidor (cigars donated to the cause), but usually offer them something "a little better" (IMO) and sit and talk and try to educate them if they're willing to listen.

Of course, some dont...and some just want to smoke a Gurkha.

At that point, I just let them go...
    Steve2010:
    Back in 2005ish, Gurkha was near the top as far as premium cigars go. Since then they've flooded the market with quantity, rather than quality (can anyone keep up with all the releases?) the construction seems to have taken a downward slide.

Every week at our herf with the Soldiers, I always hear the inevitable question "Do you guys have any Gurks?"

There's always a few in the community humidor (cigars donated to the cause), but usually offer them something "a little better" (IMO) and sit and talk and try to educate them if they're willing to listen.

Of course, some dont...and some just want to smoke a Gurkha.

At that point, I just let them go...
    Hahaha well Steve when I send this growing package you can tell them yup we got some Gurkhas!!
    Money can't buy taste
    ehehat:
    kuzi16:

I'd love to hear what I could be doing to contribute to this. My thought was it was the brand since it hasn't happened to any of the other sticks I've smoked but I'm more than willing to think it could be me since I'm so new to this. I'd especially like to know if its me before I blow up a more expensive smoke.
    Just FYI I've been using a v cut a lot recently and I can say it's a terrific cut!! I'm big on straight cuts but the v cut is well I like it!! I just don't recommend it for torpedoes...well certain ones since the draw can be tight but aside from that I feel it does less damage on the cap
    Money can't buy taste
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    ehehat:
    kuzi16:

Just FYI I've been using a v cut a lot recently and I can say it's a terrific cut!! I'm big on straight cuts but the v cut is well I like it!! I just don't recommend it for torpedoes...well certain ones since the draw can be tight but aside from that I feel it does less damage on the cap
    Usually when a cigar splits like that, its common that they are too humid, as the cigar heats up it swells and splits the wrapper.. This seems to occur more with Gurkhas.. I still like some of the Gurkhas and have quite a few.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    +2 what Rudy said, try dry boxing overnight if you know what you want to smoke
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy a Gurkha every now and then, and they do tend to split at the foot. But the one trick I learned that prevents this is to toast the foot and then let it sit for a few minutes before lighting it fully. Once I did that, there were no more issues with the Gurkhas.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    kuzi16:

if it starts to split while you are smoking it, then slow down considerably. puffing faster to catch up to the crack only makes it worse.

as far as the crack on the cap goes...
    make sure you wet the cap in your mouth a bit before you make the cut. this helps prevent a cut that cracks. If it does crack when you cut the cap then do not remove the band. that can help hold it together in case of unravel.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that brother. I myself love me some Gurkhas though ther are a bunch that taste like dried goat dung. I've found a lot need to be either dry boxed before smoking. And it usually helps them by letting them sit for a bit to get acclimated to the environment you'll be smoking them.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for me. I've found with a little rest 6+ months, i have had almost no issues. I do enjoy most Gurkhas and find them quite good with age. I did have burn issue with ROTT sticks from them about a year ago.
    This is all great stuff. I'm still finding the flavor not as much to my taste as I'd hoped so I'll probably be listing these for trade but first will try these suggestions and see what difference it makes.
    I tried one more before I traded the rest (Thanks Vision). After trying all the above suggestions it lit and smoked just fine. All the way to the nub. I can see most of these suggestions being pretty generic except the dry boxing, is that cigar specific or something that would be recomended for just about everything? My humi rarely gets over 65rh but anything that helps consistency and enjoyment is worth doing. Thanks again for all your help!
    Some sticks just smoke better when dry boxed...a lot of people like a lower rh but some sticks in that humi might disagree. This is where dry boxing shines. I'm sure kuzi can elaborate more on the total effects of dry boxing. I really don't do it often at all but I have a sepperate humi set at a lower rh...this is so once some of the sticks have taken a nice nap in a higher rh I can just put them in that humi so they can dry out a little bit more.
    Money can't buy taste