Home Cigar 101

Knockout

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
When my cigar rolls off the workbench and falls on the cement garage floor the blow seems to knock the life out of it and degrades the flavor as well. Doesn't burn right or taste right. Am I imagining things?
“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    is there any sort of chemical on the floor?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Course not.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

I have not directly seen one fall -- just watch it out of the corner of my eye -- but I imagine that with the lit end hanging over the side of the bench, it would roll off, the lit end would tip downward, and it would BLAM lit end first. Seems to knock the life out of the cherry. I can understand where the burn would need repair. But why the flavor?

Odd crap like this entrances me. I might have to drop one on purpose and watch.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    burn has more to do with flavor than most like to think.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    When my cigar rolls off the workbench and falls on the cement garage floor the blow seems to knock the life out of it and degrades the flavor as well. Doesn't burn right or taste right. Am I imagining things?
    Maybe I can help. Where do you live?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:
    webmost:
    Maybe I can help. Where do you live?
    What, you mean your stogie stand? Yeah, I ought to do something like that. I do have a cigar rack farkle on my KLR which I bent up out of baling wire. Sometimes that's at the other end of the garage. Tell you what, I'll PM you. I'll swap you something or other goodies for a couple stogie stands. Great thinking.

But that still leaves the mystery why a blow kills the cherry and it won't burn right afterwards.

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Anything that rough on a cigar is of course going to alter the flavor. If it screws up the burn, or it shoves ashes deeper down into the cigar, or it semi-goes out and needs re-lit well of course its going to taste bad after. Not sure what the issue is here, DON'T let your fragile HANDMADE cigars drop 5 feet to the floor? Right? Jeez I dropped one a few months back for the first time in like 5 years and it RUINED the experience.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Anything that rough on a cigar is of course going to alter the flavor. If it screws up the burn, or it shoves ashes deeper down into the cigar, or it semi-goes out and needs re-lit well of course its going to taste bad after. Not sure what the issue is here, DON'T let your fragile HANDMADE cigars drop 5 feet to the floor? Right? Jeez I dropped one a few months back for the first time in like 5 years and it RUINED the experience.
    Maybe I can help you out as well if you tell me where you live :)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:
    blurr:
    Maybe I can help you out as well if you tell me where you live :)
    Hey, Daniel's stogie stand works pretty darn good. Here it is:
    Bout to step out and put it to use again tonight.