Home Cigar 101

Loose Draw

All I ever hear bad about a cigar's draw is that it is tight, but I lit up a Sol Cubano Maduro last night and it didn't even feel like I was puffing on a cigar. Is this just an isolated incidence with the SC Maduro or has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a way to actually make a cigar's draw tighter? Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Other than stepping on the stick, I don't know of a way to make a draw tighter. And the loosest draw I have gotten was from a C.com Cuban Label, but since I went from pipes to cigars, it wasn't that big a deal, just felt like I was drawing on a pipe that wasn't tightly packed. I have had a Sol Cubano Maduro, if I recall, it had an easy draw, but not as loose as you explained it.

Don't worry about it, just be thankful that the draw isn't on the other end of the spectrum, so tight that it feels like your trying to suck cement up a straw.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to do Alex, I would go through the "how is your cut" questioning, but Im sure you didnt clip off half the stick. While I agree with the other poster (pardon my brainfart I forget who it was) a tight tight tight draw is awful----I am ALMOST as bothered by an overly loose draw like you describe. I dont know why but it bothers me to the point I cant fully enjoy the cigar. My only complaint with the Olde World Reserve is that the draw is too damn loose. But again, better than "sucking cement thru a straw".....I like that one. Good luck with the sticks, hopefully you just got a loose one (insert inappropriate female joke here)
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Yeah, when it comes to cigars I know have a historically looser draw, I tend to try a punch on them before I use a cutter. Sometimes I will punch a new cigar to test the draw then end up cutting it later if the draw was still too tight with the punch.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bbc020:
    Yeah, when it comes to cigars I know have a historically looser draw, I tend to try a punch on them before I use a cutter. Sometimes I will punch a new cigar to test the draw then end up cutting it later if the draw was still too tight with the punch.

I like that idea ...
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    bbc020:
    What do you mean by YOU have a looser draw?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Props to sizzle for jumping on that before me :)

I had the same problem with a Sol Cubano CC, Draw was like normal breathing. I like some resistance to my cigar. Everyone is diffrent on this.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    bbc020:

I like that idea ...
    Yeah, that makes sense, though I always seem to have problems with cutting a cigar with a rounded cap as the damn wrapper un-ravels. But I usually have no issues with a torp.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Draw too tight? I love an extremely loose draw! Less effort to enjoy my cigar.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    bbc020:

I like that idea ...
    Yeah, that makes sense, though I always seem to have problems with cutting a cigar with a rounded cap as the damn wrapper un-ravels. But I usually have no issues with a torp.
    If your cigar unravels when you cut a rounded cap, you probably cut below the shoulder. As long as you leave a bit of cap on, it should hold itself in place. Try using a punch cutter if you're having trouble with this. It'll tighten up the draw for ya a bit too.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    yeah, that's why I do punch. I just can't use a cutter... sigh...