Home Non Cigar Related

sandy

2»

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    All is well where I am...mostly downed trees and power outages here and there. But all in all it's getting back to normal!! Went driving around today to see the effects of the storm and wow some of it is really amazing!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear from everyone riding this out ok.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    A friend of mine who works in my office has been called up by FEMA to do damage assement of residental structures somewhere in path of Sandy. He doesn't know where he will be assigned or how long he'll be there. I'm just about green with envy too. Last summer he took some emergency management courses and got certified for this activity, and he was bugging me for weeks to take the classes and get the certification with him. But I'm just a lazy bumb, and didn't do it. He is in for a once in a lifetime experience now, and all I can do is listen to his stories when he gets back. Sometimes I'm just dumber than a rock.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I knew Massachusetts was going to be ok the minute I bought a generator. The state now has a lifetime reprieve from power outages....
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    pross:
    I knew Massachusetts was going to be ok the minute I bought a generator. The state now has a lifetime reprieve from power outages....
    I'm with you on that one. The best insurance is preventative measures.
    pross:
    Ain't it the truth! Still, you can't have too much insurance against this stuff. We're going to be dealing with a new normal.
    Has anybody heard from Rick?
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I think it must have died off some before hitting where i live.. we got a little rain and high winds and we lost power at 1130 monday night and still dont have it back yet. But for most part lot of downed trees and power outages
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I are ok, my house is ok, but we have no power, haven't since 8 PM monday night. Writing this from work now that I can get to NYC. It's pretty nasty in a lot of places I drove through. I think this is gonna be a rough recovery for a lot of people, I'm very fortunate to not be one of them.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to c u r alright Ken. My team has been called out to help in northeast penn. i wish i could go with them.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    I think it must have died off some before hitting where i live.. we got a little rain and high winds and we lost power at 1130 monday night and still dont have it back yet. But for most part lot of downed trees and power outages
    ... and yet, just North of you in East Stroudsburg lives a colleague who reports power outtage and destroyed substations and downed trees all around.

Maybe there is some of that how you look at it effect.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    JHewey:
    ... and yet, just North of you in East Stroudsburg lives a colleague who reports power outtage and destroyed substations and downed trees all around.

Maybe there is some of that how you look at it effect.

Im sure there was alot of that around, but where i travel and know people and talk to people there wasnt much more than downed trees and power outages.

Though i did sadly hear that one person in Macungie died because she was running her generator inside her house.. Its sad really..
    We heard from my neice today; she's in Brooklyn, has power and is dry. Said the winds gusted to 90 MPH, but no real damage where she is. That's very good news.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Man, I feel for the NE. The wind and rain and water may be over, but things are just gonna start getting weird. The existing gasoline is running out and it will be a while before new supplies are trucked in. This goes for food and water also. Thousands are homeless and/or staying with friends. That will wear thin shortly. I've read that elec. repairs are being held up waiting on permits. What? These folks need executive, emergency orders just to get home.

If I can think of any good news it would be this. If any of you good BOTLs in the NE are looking for work, get your applications in today. The amount of money that eventually gets put out requires an army of people to distribute. And if you have any experience in construction, you can be a forman within a year. Think roofing.........
    Oh, and one more thing. I should have mentioned before. Refrigerators. We learned long ago to take all of the food and put it in a big garbage bag, inside of the refrigerator, before the storm hits. Why? In 3 days you'll know. It will ruin a good appliance.
    I should write a book.
    beatnic:
    Man, I feel for the NE. The wind and rain and water may be over, but things are just gonna start getting weird. The existing gasoline is running out and it will be a while before new supplies are trucked in. This goes for food and water also. Thousands are homeless and/or staying with friends. That will wear thin shortly. I've read that elec. repairs are being held up waiting on permits. What? These folks need executive, emergency orders just to get home.

If I can think of any good news it would be this. If any of you good BOTLs in the NE are looking for work, get your applications in today. The amount of money that eventually gets put out requires an army of people to distribute. And if you have any experience in construction, you can be a forman within a year. Think roofing.........
    I really hope you're wrong about the food and water and gas supplies. I think most major roads (and therefore supply lines) are open and power restoration is proceeding well, I don't know the permit situation you're talking about. The most heavily affected areas (most of those that are cut off from surrounding areas) were supposed to be evacuated. While those things are never adhered to perfectly, it should minimize the people in this situation.

I'm sure you're right about the jobs though. I've got a buddy with some construction experience that's out of work, and I'm not sure he's thought about this yet, so this might be great news for him!
    Ken Light:
    beatnic:

I really hope you're wrong about the food and water and gas supplies. I think most major roads (and therefore supply lines) are open and power restoration is proceeding well, I don't know the permit situation you're talking about. The most heavily affected areas (most of those that are cut off from surrounding areas) were supposed to be evacuated. While those things are never adhered to perfectly, it should minimize the people in this situation.

I'm sure you're right about the jobs though. I've got a buddy with some construction experience that's out of work, and I'm not sure he's thought about this yet, so this might be great news for him!
    There are still people in Hoboken who are stranded in their homes. The permits to fix electric poles in Queens was the story I heard. And both the President and Governor Christie said that they are cutting through "red-tape" to get efforts underway. Basically, let the government get out of the way so people can proceed. You see where the enforcement of 3 people per car in NYC has caused gridlock? They put up a road block to check each car, and that caused the problem to be worse. its gonna be crazy for a while.

Here's a scene I'm sure you'll probably witness. A tanker shows up to fill an empty gasoline station and before he finishes he becomes blocked in by the hoards of people who want in. Crazy.
    beatnic:
    Ken Light:
    beatnic:

There are still people in Hoboken who are stranded in their homes. The permits to fix electric poles in Queens was the story I heard. And both the President and Governor Christie said that they are cutting through "red-tape" to get efforts underway. Basically, let the government get out of the way so people can proceed. You see where the enforcement of 3 people per car in NYC has caused gridlock? They put up a road block to check each car, and that caused the problem to be worse. its gonna be crazy for a while.

Here's a scene I'm sure you'll probably witness. A tanker shows up to fill an empty gasoline station and before he finishes he becomes blocked in by the hoards of people who want in. Crazy.
    The gas situation is scary, so I get the 3 people per car minimum. People should be busing into the city, buses are running, I'm taking them, and a lot of the subway is running when you get there. A lot of pressure will come off gas when power returns and generators stop consuming so much of it though, so power has to come first. Red tape in NY and NJ? Nawwwww, since when? ;D Maybe this will fuel Christie's reform movement even more. It should anyway, which is a great thing.