Home Cigar 101

Plume?

ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
This evening I was enjoying a cigar from my local B&M, and I was noticing these little specks a bit smaller than the head of a pin. I was wondering what this was, and can plume show up on just the binder but not the wrapper.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If the oils crystallized under the wrapper, I see no reason why it couldn't show up on the binder only.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    mamny cigars have speckles on them that arent bloom/plume but other mineral deposits. if they were textured and raised then it probably wasnt plume. if it wasnt, and sparkled in the light then it was. if it was only on the binder then technically speaking, it cannot be bloom. maybe it was about to. Iduno. pics always help in this situation. did you manage to get any?
    I thought plume/bloom was characterized by a crystallization of the essential oils in the tobacco...no one said it had to be on the wrapper. Though maybe some do make that distinction, I don't cuz I don't much care about plume one way or the other.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Can be on any part of the tobacco. Be careful of white and blue though as they are typically mold.
    Alex Svenson:
    Can be on any part of the tobacco. Be careful of white and blue though as they are typically mold.
    j0z3r:
    I thought plume/bloom was characterized by a crystallization of the essential oils in the tobacco...no one said it had to be on the wrapper. Though maybe some do make that distinction, I don't cuz I don't much care about plume one way or the other.
    my fault. i was under the impression it was if it was on the outside of the cigar only. ya learn something every day.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I couldn't telly you if they had any color or not since I saw them on the ash. I do have another of the same cigar, so i'll smoke it today and let you know
    Thewelder:
    I couldn't telly you if they had any color or not since I saw them on the ash. I do have another of the same cigar, so i'll smoke it today and let you know
    im thinking that if you saw it in the ash then it wasnt bloom at all. every time that i have had bloom there was no difference in the ash. what you may have seen were mineral deposits in the leaf. this is actually quite common.

anyone else ever smoke a cigar with bloom to confirm?
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    mamny cigars have speckles on them that arent bloom/plume but other mineral deposits. if they were textured and raised then it probably wasnt plume. if it wasnt, and sparkled in the light then it was. if it was only on the binder then technically speaking, it cannot be bloom. maybe it was about to. Iduno. pics always help in this situation. did you manage to get any?
    I dont remember smoking a mammy cigar before Kuzi-----sounds like a nice throwback to the Antebellum days. Puts me in the mood for a little Scarlett O Hara and Mint Julep myself.....lol... Sorry, just my odd sense of humor when I saw something that resembled a mammy cigar
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I agree that most of the tiny spots on the ash are from deposits. I have found that most cigars that have tiny bumps on the wrapper usually lead to a great cigar. Those minerals taste great.
    kuzi16:
    anyone else ever smoke a cigar with bloom to confirm?
    Yes, and there was no difference in the ash coloring. The bloom/plume is simply condensed, crystallized oils, the same oils that are present in the cigar and don't leave a noticeable coloration on the ash. I too have noticed the speckles on the ash and would have to agree with the mineral deposit theory..also if I smoke a cigar with a toothy wrapper, the bumps (tooth) will leave differently colored speckles as well.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    also if I smoke a cigar with a toothy wrapper, the bumps (tooth) will leave differently colored speckles as well.
    Yea this is what I was going to say.