Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Construction Question

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
It seems most people think the middle of the cigar is the best...and Nub tries to make a whole cigar like the middle...

My question is what are the differences in the way they are made that create the differences in the first third burn, the second third burn, and the final third (often thought to be the harshest)...

Also I have heard the final third has the most nicotine..is that true or a myth.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think the difference is in the part of the tobacco used, I'll assume I'm right in my explanation. Where a standard cigar uses a full leaf of tobacco, the Nub would only use a section, the middle...so in a standard cigar, you'd have to burn through the tip of the leaf that would get the least amount of nutrients thereby lowering the amount of flavor, the Nub would effectively eliminate that by cutting out that part of the leaf and focusing on the part that gets a good deal of the nutrients. Again, this is assuming I'm right...take my theory with a grain of salt and take it for what it is, a theory.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I think the difference is in the part of the tobacco used, I'll assume I'm right in my explanation. Where a standard cigar uses a full leaf of tobacco, the Nub would only use a section, the middle...so in a standard cigar, you'd have to burn through the tip of the leaf that would get the least amount of nutrients thereby lowering the amount of flavor, the Nub would effectively eliminate that by cutting out that part of the leaf and focusing on the part that gets a good deal of the nutrients. Again, this is assuming I'm right...take my theory with a grain of salt and take it for what it is, a theory.
    exactly.

the veins in a tobacco leaf bring nutrients to rest of the leaf. there are fewer veins ner the edges so there are less nutrients. inthe nub they trim those edges off. they roll with the rest of the leaf. this means that its hard to make it a longer cigar.