Home Cigar 101

Do Coronas Produce More Smoke?

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I got a 30 cigar sampler for my birthday. I've been looking at coronas for a while, since I don't always have a lot of time to smoke. The last few nights, I've smoked a MOW PA, Diesel, and Signature Collection. All 3 produced a ton of smoke, which makes me want to ask....in your experiance, does cigar size have any effect on the smoke output? The MOW PA always gives me a lot of smoke, regardless of size, but I've never had another Diesel or Signature Collection. Now, something else it could be is that each time I smoked it was dark outside. So, maybe with it being dark, perhaps I just noticed more smoke because of exterior lights. Edit - Not sure why I saw the MOW PA gives off as ton of smoke regardless of size, because they are all coronas. Oops!

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the manufacturer and quality IMO. I just love corona's though man... I get a better draw IMO, or maybe it's just the way I smoke, but either way the billows are there for me which is why I like them.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 ^^^^ What Dustin said - I personally think it's the way I smoke coronas vs. other vitolas - On average I seem to get a better draw from coronas than other vitolas. But that's just me

Maybe Prof Kuzi has a more scientific answer though.

Oh and Rain - get yourself a DE Undercrown corona if you get a chance .... you haven't seen a ton'o'smoke until you've had one of those.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I to preffer the smaller rg's as for your question as Dustin stated its on the quality of the stick. I always figure that a smaller rg will have a more concentrated burn...with a larger rg there is more paths for air wo flow in making it not as concentrated. But constructing will play a good part in this
    Money can't buy taste
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    +1 ^^^^ What Dustin said - I personally think it's the way I smoke coronas vs. other vitolas - On average I seem to get a better draw from coronas than other vitolas. But that's just me

Oh and Rain - get yourself a DE Undercrown corona if you get a chance .... you haven't seen a ton'o'smoke until you've had one of those.
    I do like me some UC...I'll have to look in to this. On the flip side, I am now on a corona binge. I love them. I need them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ton of smoke per puff or while resting?
    Per puff, at least for me.
    they should produce about the same per puff. i mean, you take the same amount of smoke into the mouth no matter the ring. your mouth is the same size.
    the more i think about it, the more i feel that it is more about the production/blend of a cigar.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the CCOM videos touches on this very subject or part of it anyway. The air moves faster thru a corona than say a robusto. So I would speculate you'd get more smoke if your taking the same puff as you would on a bigger ring size. That's my theory anywho.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Usually corona size has more volado tobacco. Volado comes from the bottom of the plant and good for sustainable burn to a cigar. However, the fact is volado leaves have less flavors and aroma but essential to maintain the good burn. This is a reason why corona size produces extra smoke. There is also some advantage for corona size, its smaller ring gauge allows more intense smoking to enjoy the flavor and aroma. Many blenders use corona size during blending to detect the intensity of a cigar.
    Rain:
    I got a 30 cigar sampler for my birthday. I've been looking at coronas for a while, since I don't always have a lot of time to smoke. The last few nights, I've smoked a MOW PA, Diesel, and Signature Collection. All 3 produced a ton of smoke, which makes me want to ask....in your experiance, does cigar size have any effect on the smoke output? The MOW PA always gives me a lot of smoke, regardless of size, but I've never had another Diesel or Signature Collection. Now, something else it could be is that each time I smoked it was dark outside. So, maybe with it being dark, perhaps I just noticed more smoke because of exterior lights. Edit - Not sure why I saw the MOW PA gives off as ton of smoke regardless of size, because they are all coronas. Oops!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    jgibv:

I do like me some UC...I'll have to look in to this. On the flip side, I am now on a corona binge. I love them. I need them.
    corona is my favorite hands down, and when you get into the ISOM they can be extremely full for the profile and knock you down. Wait till you get into lancero.... Either way, Ive found many blenders prefer corona and blend from there. With lancero, only the best rollers are rolling them too. Basically, if I'm smoking by myself I want a corona. If I need to relax I smoke pyramide. If I'm smoking with friends for 2+ hours, I want double corona or Churchill.
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    jgibv:

corona is my favorite hands down, and when you get into the ISOM they can be extremely full for the profile and knock you down. Wait till you get into lancero.... Either way, Ive found many blenders prefer corona and blend from there. With lancero, only the best rollers are rolling them too. Basically, if I'm smoking by myself I want a corona. If I need to relax I smoke pyramide. If I'm smoking with friends for 2+ hours, I want double corona or Churchill.
    This is kind of where I am right now. By myself on guard duty? Corona. If I was at a poker game or something that might last a while...Churchill.
    rzaman:
    Usually corona size has more volado tobacco. Volado comes from the bottom of the plant and good for sustainable burn to a cigar. However, the fact is volado leaves have less flavors and aroma but essential to maintain the good burn. This is a reason why corona size produces extra smoke. There is also some advantage for corona size, its smaller ring gauge allows more intense smoking to enjoy the flavor and aroma. Many blenders use corona size during blending to detect the intensity of a cigar.
    man... i shouloda known that. I mean i knew all the elements leading up to that (smaller ring gauge has a higher ratio of volado ans seco and those burn better than ligero.) i just didnt put it together like that. i was thinking in terms of just ring gauge.

good lookin out on that one rzaman.

Rhamlin:
    One of the CCOM videos touches on this very subject or part of it anyway. The air moves faster thru a corona than say a robusto. So I would speculate you'd get more smoke if your taking the same puff as you would on a bigger ring size. That's my theory anywho.
    not more smoke based off of ring, but more heat. same amount fits in your mouth but more O2 needs to go through smaller "straw" causing it to burn hotter.
    that is part of the reason why many dont like the smaller rings. they smoke to fast and it heats them up to the point of bittering.

the corona's smaller ring does provide a wrapper heavy flavor profile compared to the same blend in a 50+ ring.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    This is something I didn't know. I've read that often, the corona will be the best representation of what the blender was trying to accomplish, and I've noticed that often a well constructed corona will produce A LOT of smoke, but I never knew why.

Thanks again, Rip.
    rzaman:
    Rain:
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump 1/12/14 Same subject (smoke output) as my other question today but not asked in the same context. Good info.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't seen this before. Thanks for the bump. I love when a stick smokes like a chimney! Very satisfying.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Man, I'm still that noob.