Home Cigar 101

Double capped cigars?

I've been smoking cigars for a while now (first post here though), and I've stumbled upon a cigar that I have no idea how to deal with.

I got a deal on some 5 Vegas Relics at a steal, so I grabbed a whopping 5 of them, enough for a fair taste without having to find sucke...er, friends to pawn them off on if I didn't like them.

The thing that threw me about these cigars is that they're more or less "capped" at both ends.  What's the proper procedure for lighting these things?  Cut one end off, as you'd normally do, and let the lighter/ember burn through the wrapper?  Or do  you cut off both ends?

Thanks!

Comments

• bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    Some people cut the foot some people don't. I personally don't cut the foot as long as there is some filler tobacco showing at the end. If you can't get it to light then clip a tiny bit off.
  • bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    also try searching the forums - there is a lot of great info already out there.
  • cnsayrecnsayre Posts: 2
    bnccna2:
    Some people cut the foot some people don't. I personally don't cut the foot as long as there is some filler tobacco showing at the end. If you can't get it to light then clip a tiny bit off.

That's the thing... these cigars are like double ended torpedoes, no filler/foot/tobacco showing.  Just a cap at both ends.

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    cnsayre:
    bnccna2:

That's the thing... these cigars are like double ended torpedoes, no filler/foot/tobacco showing.  Just a cap at both ends.

I've smoked several of these now. Any perfecto like this, I make my standard cut on the head, then cut about 1/4" off the foot, to have sufficient tobacco showing to get it lit. I have also tried clipping off just the very tip, but can never keep it lit when I do that.
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    cnsayre:
    The thing that threw me about these cigars is that they're more or less "capped" at both ends.  What's the proper procedure for lighting these things?  Cut one end off, as you'd normally do, and let the lighter/ember burn through the wrapper?  Or do  you cut off both ends?

The only "proper procedure" for any cigar smoking is to do whatever you enjoy the most.  If you prefer to cut off the foot for faster lighting, then do it.  If you prefer to slowly toast the foot until the wrapper smolders off, then do it.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how smoking it from the smaller end would taste? hmmm.... And I haven't had a relic yet which didn't have any filler sticking out, they've been capped.
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    I recieved a Relic but I must say that it was a very Bold smoke, a little too bold for my taste! However it burned nice and clean and was consistant in flavor.
  • FairwindFairwind Posts: 41

phobicsquirrel:
    I wonder how smoking it from the smaller end would taste? hmmm.... And I haven't had a relic yet which didn't have any filler sticking out, they've been capped.

LOL - I tried that ONCE! Cutoff the cap and then smoked it from the open end. Cigars are built like they are for a reason. The lit end unraveled within mins. Talk about a bummer, it completely ruined the cigar. Trust me on this one, smoke from the right end.

Dan