Home General Discussion

Double-guillotine idea

Is there a double-guillotine out there where one blade is "fixed", so the motion is like a single-blade guillotine in that only one side moves, but without having a dull side to potentially muss up the head of the cigar? It seems like it would make getting an even cut somewhat easier than having to steady two blades at once.

[Edit] P.S. Slightly unrelated, but on the same note of refining current concepts in cigar accessories... I just saw the page on Heartfelt's website for the humidity sheets and am thinking of a new project. If anyone here has ever seen a CPU heatsink, the idea is pretty much going to be taking some of the sheets and making a "humisink" out of them. Just two questions... first, if anyone's tried them, do they work as well as the beads? Second, what adhesive should I use to prevent altering the taste of the cigars as much as possible?

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I ran across one recently when I was looking at lighters. I'll see if I can find it again when I get home tonight.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I've found one and it works better than the guillotine where both blades work, the fixed blade and the other pushes the other blade makes the cut clean and effectively.....heartfelt sells em why I'm giving another site is I don't believe CC carries them...look for the name brand Palio..and I really like mine!
  • Markbb:
    I've found one and it works better than the guillotine where both blades work, the fixed blade and the other pushes the other blade makes the cut clean and effectively.....heartfelt sells em why I'm giving another site is I don't believe CC carries them...look for the name brand Palio..and I really like mine!
    LOL... the Palio cutters were actually what prompted that question... I was looking at them and trying to figure out if they were single- or double-guillotine, then thought of that idea.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ok so here is a physics look at it...
    when using a double blade guillotine there is no way that you can put equal preassure on both blades at the same time, therefore only one moves.

i dont know if i can prove it but it sounds good.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    kuzi16:
    when using a double blade guillotine there is no way that you can put equal preassure on both blades at the same time, therefore only one moves.

Sounds reasonable to me...
  • kuzi16:

What I've seen, at least using mine, is that one side will move first then the other. This remains true regardless of how quickly and decisively I try to cut, and increases the chance of an unevenly cut cigar, although cutting as quickly as possible does tend to mean the cut will be less uneven. If one side is fixed in place, it would be easier to use it to stabilize the cutter and line up the cut, and you don't have to play a guessing game as to how each side of the cutter is going to move.
    My experience is the same, gdf.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I never cut through the cigar as you all are describing here. I gently squeeze both sides of the cutter just until contact is made all around on the cigar -- to where I can essentially hold the cigar with the blades without cutting the cap. Then, I apply gentle pressure while rotating the cigar within the hole until I can hear the cutting of the cap. At that point, I don't add any more pressure (I don't let up either), and I rotate the cigar like a can in an electric can opener, allowing the blades to trace a cut all around the cap. When I've made a full circle, I remove the cigar from the cutter and the cap comes off the back of the cigar, leaving all the tobacco in place and uncut. I leave sufficient cushion, of course, to ensure I'm only cutting the cap and not the wrapper, just as you would with your quick-shot guillotine cut.
    I've never heard of such a thing, duty. I'm not sure I have the patience for it.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Palio was the cutter I saw while lighter surfing.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    I've never heard of such a thing, duty. I'm not sure I have the patience for it.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Palio was the cutter I saw while lighter surfing.
    Doesn't take long at all, once you've done it a couple times. Try it once. The first time I did, I thought it was brilliant, and I've never had a better cut.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I never cut through the cigar as you all are describing here. I gently squeeze both sides of the cutter just until contact is made all around on the cigar -- to where I can essentially hold the cigar with the blades without cutting the cap. Then, I apply gentle pressure while rotating the cigar within the hole until I can hear the cutting of the cap. At that point, I don't add any more pressure (I don't let up either), and I rotate the cigar like a can in an electric can opener, allowing the blades to trace a cut all around the cap. When I've made a full circle, I remove the cigar from the cutter and the cap comes off the back of the cigar, leaving all the tobacco in place and uncut. I leave sufficient cushion, of course, to ensure I'm only cutting the cap and not the wrapper, just as you would with your quick-shot guillotine cut.
    that thing better be very sharp or it could end in disaster. but if it works for you, go for it.