Home Cigar 101

Tempature question

Got my humidor up and running. The humidity stays a pretty consistant 70-67% but temp is above 75 and as much as 80. It gets really hot here and the ac does not run much during the day while I am gone. How much will this extra heat effect the sticks? is there an easy way to cool the humidor without running my power bill of the charts? Thanks

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I can't say what effects the temp may have (I'm pretty sure it's really not a good thing tho); if you're having trouble with the temp, you could always convert a wine cooler (Vinotemp - thermoelectric are the recommended types)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    As long as the RH isn't rising, the temp alone won't cause too many problems. I just wouldn't want it over 80*. I use a vinotemp as xmacro suggested. The important thing is that as temp rises, rh tends to as well and if they both rise you'll end up with beetles, my friend.
  • havefun79havefun79 Posts: 18
    Usually I have more of a problem keeping the humidity up. I live in more of a desert climate, High temps low humidity, I just am not sure about the effect of high temps on the cigars.
  • adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    Try throwing your humi in a cabinet/closet or something close to the ground. I moved my humi from my bedroom to my living room entertainment system cabinet and the temp went from 78'ish to 70'ish.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    As it got hot here (South Carolina) I noticed the same thing. My coolerdor was staying around 78 in the closet. As such, I opted to go the wine cooler route, which has worked out quite well so far. Unfortunately, one wasn't enough and now I have two. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    I did a search on Temp in humidors this was the only thread doesnt quite answer my question so instead of posting a new thread i figured i would add to this.

Its been wamer her in NH past day or two and my roommate is a pain when it comes to running the AC and what not. Past day or two the temp has been around 76-78 degrees. The RH has been under 70%. Will this cause beetles for only a day or two or will it be ok if the temps start to drop again in the next couple days?

Thanks in advance
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    My temp has been at 78 for years dont let it get above 80 for a long time and dont let the RH get to high with the temp being up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    RaschNuts:
    I did a search on Temp in humidors this was the only thread doesnt quite answer my question so instead of posting a new thread i figured i would add to this.

Its been wamer her in NH past day or two and my roommate is a pain when it comes to running the AC and what not. Past day or two the temp has been around 76-78 degrees. The RH has been under 70%. Will this cause beetles for only a day or two or will it be ok if the temps start to drop again in the next couple days?

Thanks in advance
    this should not be a problem. just keep that RH between 65 and 70 and you should be fine.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Thanks Guys