Home Cigar 101

too tight to breathe

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a 100 count humidor with 113 sticks in it. The only reason it doesn't have 137 in it is I smoked two, then I shot four off in the mail this morning... oh, and eighteen are in an overflow cigar box, cause there's no room for them. I tell ya it's tight in there. Tight. Tighter than midget **** in a pickle factory.

Ain't my fault. I swear. Sure, I did buy two boxes recently and threw them in there, along with a couple dozen of those giftie stix that keep on coming in the mail, I dunno why. I estimate there were no more than maybe half a dozen others which I legitimately bought... But what happened is, Saturday I got avalanched. I did a guy a solid wrenching on his motorcycle so he had c.com shoot me three boxes, then c.com added two sticks, cause that's how they do, then our BOTL imgembo sent me a book to read, but when he bent over to put the book in a priority mail box apparently four sticks accidentally fell out of his shirt pocket and landed on the book. So here I was, sitting on a two thirds full 100 count when the mailman dumps 66 more on me. I gotta say, this is a cheap hobby.

Cripes. I had any sense at all, I'd a started collecting krugerrands instead of smoking cigars. Shows how screwed up my priorities are.

So my question is, I got these sticks in so tight I have to sit on the lid to turn the key. Do I need to rotate them from time to time? Should I dig the bottom ones up to the top for a breath of air every few?

How bout the poor guys ostracized to the box. Do they need to come visit their little friends in the humi while others rotate out to the box?

It's a nightmare I tell you.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    There are first world problems, and there are third world problems. Life is hard, brother, so hard. I go no clue, but I await the answer.
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    My suggestions would e to get some tupperware nd grab some boveda packs a your desired RH. I would pull some of the sticks out of your humi leaving enough room for airflow. Also, the side bunch you have i would put into tupperware as well. you can get some nice cider chunks to go in there if you want to. but thats up to you. my 0.02 dollars.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    If you have enough cigar boxes, this sounds like a message from On High telling you to start buildling that coolidor.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shoulda specified that more humis, coolidors, or whatever are not valid answers. It's just exactly like Los Angeles freeways. The more lanes they pave, the more traffic fills them up, and they still have the same traffic jam, only wider. You get absolutely nowhere with that approach. Same thing here. Not gonna make more space and fill it up.

Gotta call a halt to it somewhere.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd go bomb the crisp out of some people!! Always helps my problems with no room in the humis lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    start smoking them.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I'd go bomb the crisp out of some people!! Always helps my problems with no room in the humis lol
    You know what the prob is with that. You send out ten and the other guy insists on sending back a dozen. That's why I've been bombing strangers on my motorcycle travels. You never hear from them again. The only BOTL here I have been able to bomb without reply was psquared, and I had to beg you guys not to give out my addy to make that work. I do have a motorcycle club function coming up next month where I plan on ditching a few. Those guys don't know how to reciprocate so that always works out.

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    What I'm getting out of your replies, webmost, is that you need another humidor when another avalanche comes in. As it will. I'm pretty sure I still have your address...
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Good question, and one I've been wondering as well. I have room for 100ish and no reason to get more since I've only been smoking 1-2 a month as of late.
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    You know what the prob is with that. You send out ten and the other guy insists on sending back a dozen. That's why I've been bombing strangers on my motorcycle travels. You never hear from them again. The only BOTL here I have been able to bomb without reply was psquared, and I had to beg you guys not to give out my addy to make that work. I do have a motorcycle club function coming up next month where I plan on ditching a few. Those guys don't know how to reciprocate so that always works out.

Bomb the troops I know jsnake is taking a collection and I'm sending steve2010 some for his guys over seas
    Money can't buy taste
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why you get a humi big enough to accommodate anything anyone can throw at you.
    My tower is quite resilient and can withstand quite a bit. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Well that's just stupid on my part. I am normally not that oblivious to arithmetic. I musta had a liberal moment there. Well, at least I awoke from my innumerate daydream to the cold stern facts as reality reckons them.

As I posted elsewhere, I have settled on five go-to stix to stock. Five stock stix times twenty robustos per bundle or box equals 100 items right there. Add the 30 or 40 miscellaneous which always seem to be hanging around, and your total is 130 or 140. Now when you stuff 140 into a 100 count humi that's what we used to call a blivet back in SoCal (a blivet is a hundred pounds of manure in a fifty pound bag). Something's got to give.

So I really have no choice. If I am going to stock five dailies, then I will necessarily need another humidor for the miscellany.

Sheesh.

Still, though, the question remains ::: How do you handle a stuffed tight humi? Rotate? Not? How about an overflow box? Rotate into the humi, others out? Just smoke 'em and don't worry?

• amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    You know what the prob is with that. You send out ten and the other guy insists on sending back a dozen. That's why I've been bombing strangers on my motorcycle travels.

You've definitely got a point there. It's impossible to get a leg up on some of these guys. We have a new guy at my work who told me the other day he smoked cigars occasionally. I droppped a 10 pack bomb on him this morning, lol.
    amz1301:
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    You know what the prob is with that. You send out ten and the other guy insists on sending back a dozen. That's why I've been bombing strangers on my motorcycle travels.

You've definitely got a point there. It's impossible to get a leg up on some of these guys. We have a new guy at my work who told me the other day he smoked cigars occasionally. I droppped a 10 pack bomb on him this morning, lol.
    Eggs Ackley. These non-BOTLs you can hit them and they don't know what to do, which results in a very satisfactory experience. Whereas the c.com BOTLs, you hit them with a platoon of comfortable three buck popguns, they swing out a regiment of eighteen buck howitzers and blow you a smoking crater, leaves you feeling reedickluss, the amount of green fun tickets they are willing to squander on strangers. God love 'em.

No worries. I have a couple motorcyclists in my cross hairs. Plus, get this: I have a plan to hit some of these guys I see holding cardboard signs at intersections. Gonna fabricate some little splosives, ride by, ask their pleasure, drop a quick grenade, and ride away. Merry Christmas to all, I say. Did that couple years back with bags of snacks from the dollar store. Great fun.

webmost:
    Well that's just stupid on my part. I am normally not that oblivious to arithmetic. I musta had a liberal moment there. Well, at least I awoke from my innumerate daydream to the cold stern facts as reality reckons them.

As I posted elsewhere, I have settled on five go-to stix to stock. Five stock stix times twenty robustos per bundle or box equals 100 items right there. Add the 30 or 40 miscellaneous which always seem to be hanging around, and your total is 130 or 140. Now when you stuff 140 into a 100 count humi that's what we used to call a blivet back in SoCal (a blivet is a hundred pounds of manure in a fifty pound bag). Something's got to give.

So I really have no choice. If I am going to stock five dailies, then I will necessarily need another humidor for the miscellany.

Sheesh.

Still, though, the question remains ::: How do you handle a stuffed tight humi? Rotate? Not? How about an overflow box? Rotate into the humi, others out? Just smoke 'em and don't worry?

Super high end=wineador
    High end/aging=coolador
    Ready to smoke=humidors
    Normal/everyday/not to your liking anymore=tupperador
    That's how I manage my stuff but good luck
    Money can't buy taste
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    A fuller humi/cooler will hold RH and temp better, more consistent. Now there is a point you should not overfill where you have problems like having to jam things in, not closing properly.... Make sure you dont have those problems then leave them be... We tend to overthink the care of our cigars....they dont need to be rotated, moved around etc a less handled cigar is a better cigar...if it makes you feel good to move them around as we do often like to play, i mean inspect our cigars then so be it...the only other thing you may want to consider at some point is a fan of some sort, oust fans work great in my coolers, you will need to adjust space accordingly but fans are not required....just make sure your RH and temp are good and let them sleep undisturbed...
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Diamondog:
    A fuller humi/cooler will hold RH and temp better, more consistent. Now there is a point you should not overfill where you have problems like having to jam things in, not closing properly.... Make sure you dont have those problems then leave them be... We tend to overthink the care of our cigars....they dont need to be rotated, moved around etc a less handled cigar is a better cigar
    Just replying to the original question here here. DD this makes perfect sense to me, good input.

From a few articles I read a few years back I've read that periodically its good to rotate your stock and I've even read on an article in the Ccom newsletter a while back that it is recomended to reseason the humi twice a year. So I know its an option to rotate if you like.

But llike DD said I think folks can overthink at times becuae I know this much handling of the cigars pretty much guarantees that no plume with ever develope and adds to your chances of damaging the cigars. So that argument would lead me to beleive like DD said, its better to leave them be and do their thing untouched.

So I guess the moral of the story is . . . make your own normal and do what you lfeel like doing. As long as you are enjoying the hobby I thinkg your doing it right.