Home Cigar 101

unstinkerator

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have another novel in mind, which would have me pounding letterbuttons hour after hour. This project will necessarily take place in my home office. I'd love to spark a succulent sotweed cylinder from time to time while tickling the keyboard. Indoor smoking is not a RedHead approved activity; though I sometimes get away with it if it's the right cigar and I am sitting beside a roaring hearth to draw the smoke out.

So. That begs the question: Has anyone discovered an effective electric desmokerator or unstinkerator air filter type of thing that really works? Something whereby I can close the door, plug in the destinkerator, burn ample uppowoc, and not have a stench leak or linger?

No, deodorizing sprays are not an acceptable answer... They give me a headache.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crickets on the unstinkerator. That's not a good sign.ridingriding
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    For a cigar? No, not really, at least I am not willingly to try it. I too cannot smoke inside but I have found with a pipe I can get away with it if I burn a Lampe Berger. Give it a couple of hours and the wife who has an uncanny ability to smell smoke does not even blink coming into the room. I mean uncanny because after I smoke if I go to the sink and wash my hands and then use the towel to dry them she will walk in and smell the towel and tell me I have been smoking! I have not tried it with a cigar. Let's face it cigar smoke and pipe smoke are two very different beasts.

Google Lampe Berger if you like and read about its history, very intersting it was made by a pharmacist back in the 1800's to keep hospitals and morgues from smelling so bad. Short of buying one of those ionizers which I have no experience with this would be your best bet.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    The only thing that really works is a supply of fresh air through an intake and a good exhaust. I've used air purifiers, but they take days to get the smell out. There's no good tricks without a good exhaust system.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you need a real system with an exhaust fan that has a make up air system. the air purifier is supplemental. it cannot work on its own. the real trick is to prevent the smell in the first place.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, lure her out to a club with a hypnotist performing, pre-laid plan: Post hypnotic suggestion, smell of cigar smoke makes her wildly ****.
    You still won't get your writing done, or your cigar smoked, but you'll be a happier man.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I made an Ozone generator from an old neon sign power supply and put it in a wood box to insulate it. I just plug it in when I smoke in my cave which is about 700 sq.ft. and leave it on for about an hour after I'm done smoking. I also just run a small fan to circulate the air. I have had more then 5 people smoking down there at once which out any issue. Also a big factor I found is make sure you move and butts and ashes outside the house once your done smoking. I will caution you that it does involve some intense electricty that could be deadly depending on the power supply. The commerical units while expensive do work great.
    How do you make an ozone generator?

Its released in the aurora of the spark of something that high voltage but due to safety concerns I won't post instructions on here.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Its released in the aurora of the spark of something that high voltage but due to safety concerns I won't post instructions on here.
    Good idea Andrew, I think the FBI was looking in here.
    Management does frown upon anything that could cause bodily harm to our clients. The CSONKA brand product work with the same stuff but they are kinda pricey but much safer. You can also find other cheaper models on amazon and ebay that are knock offs or just generate ozone. High levels of it though can be a minorly irritating to your respirtory system. Or you can google instructions for my method but like I said unless you have some electronic/circuitry knowlegde I don't suggest it.
    What's ozone do to stink?

Google scares up two types of info on this: merchants selling ozone generators, and science warning against their use. Of course, any health study with the word "tobacco" in the title is almost certain to be full of hype and paranoia; and since many of these health warnings parrot a study done at that paradigm of left coast lunacy the U of Berzerkely, I am not inclined to trust them. However, an open mind requires a better understanding of how this works.

Any suggested sources?

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    webmost:
    Google scares up two types of info on this: merchants selling ozone generators, and science warning against their use. Of course, any health study with the word "tobacco" in the title is almost certain to be full of hype and paranoia; and since many of these health warnings parrot a study done at that paradigm of left coast lunacy the U of Berzerkely, I am not inclined to trust them. However, an open mind requires a better understanding of how this works.

Any suggested sources?

Wikipedia
    "...Ozone generators produce ozone, and are sometimes sold as whole house air cleaners. Unlike ionizers, ozone generators are designed to produce significant amounts of ozone, a strong oxidant gas which can oxidize many other chemicals. The only safe use of ozone generators is in unoccupied rooms, utilising "shock treatment" commercial ozone generators that produce over 3000 mg of ozone per hour. Restoration contractors use these types of ozone generators to remove smoke odors after fire damage, musty smells after flooding, mold (including toxic molds), and the stench caused by decaying flesh which cannot be removed by bleach or anything else except for ozone. However, it is not healthy to breathe ozone gas, and one should use extreme caution when buying a room air purifier that also produces ozone.[12] "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_purifier

Journal of American Medical Association
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=197444

American Lung Association
    http://www.lung.org/healthy-air/outdoor/resources/ozone.html

http://www.cleanairplus.com/blog/increased-ozone-ionic-air-purifiers.html