Home Ratings & Reviews

rating merchants

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, is it considered good form to rate on-line cigar merchants in here? I want to give kudos to c.com and soduk to a nitwit outfit.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, showering some much deserved praise on cigar.com is more than appropriate. Out of respect to them for hosting this forum, I wouldn't praise or be critical of another cigar retailer here. Personally, I think it would be in bad taste.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Sleeve. There are no better than the reps at CCom.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Obviously, showering some much deserved praise on cigar.com is more than appropriate. Out of respect to them for hosting this forum, I wouldn't praise or be critical of another cigar retailer here. Personally, I think it would be in bad taste.
    id be critical of other places. lol
    i mean that T******n place really sucks. you know what im talking about
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    SleevePlz:
    id be critical of other places. lol
    i mean that T******n place really sucks. you know what im talking about
    That place might be my one exception. They suck real bad.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully I have not run into many problems!! Ccom is a great place and I really only go to a couple b&m's which I trust. That being said I agree with kuzi that the t place sucks!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, here's my recent experience. And I think that the bad is as instructive as the good -- no sense in anyone else here stepping into the same dog poo as I tracked through.

A fellow beemerista rode down from Binghamton NY early last month to get his R1200CLC splines lubed. This is a two day project which involves cracking the bike apart in the middle. In return for my effort and expertise, he proposed buying me some cigars. So I googled up Torano 1916 Cams on the garage laptop and stumbled on a place named Hilands Cigars, where 1916s are listed as "in stock" for a dynamite price. The beemerista ordered me two boxes. I got an immediate order confirmation.

By the end of the following week, I had still not received the expected email with tracking number. Wrote Hilands an email. No answer. Searched my spam bin. No dice.Week after, I called them on a Tuesday. Guy told me the Toranos were on order. I said, wait a minute, the web page said they were in stock. He says we don't really keep that aspect of the page up to date. I'm thinking, if you're not going to keep availability current, how about not displaying it? He says he expects them to arrive Thursday. I hung up baffled. I have ordered enough stuff on line to know this is not how it goes. Three times on three successive weeks I get the same Thursday story. Not once do I get a reply to my emails nor a call. Throughout the month waiting the web page says "in stock". Last time I call, the guy has an attitude. He's got the money, it's a month later, I got no answers, yet he thinks he's got a beef. Called Binghampton and told the guy let's pull the plug. Hilands Cigars.

So my beemer friend gets his bucks back, and he proposes we try somewhere else. I go to cigar.com, put three things in the basket, call c.com up, talk with Sean, tell him the other guy will call to pay. Beemerista calls, everyone at c.com already has the memo, shipment goes out next day, I get the tracking number, box arrives day after, and inside the box are a couple extra Man O War sticks just for fun. USPS barely had time to update their tracking before the box was in my hands. This is how stuff gets done.

One of the items I had ordered was the c.com house blend sungrown. First one I fired, I got a mouthful of shreds. Darn filler had been diced, chopped and shredded by an over-caffeinated kangaroo with a nervous vegomatic. I cut it open and took a pic. Cut open a second, same story. Called up c.com and spoke with the musically named Marisol. Offered to shoot out a new box before she even saw the pics. I spoke with Sean, who suggested a different stick. It's on the way now, along with a UPS shipping auth to return the other free.

Where do you think I am going next time? Hilands who jacked me around? Or c.com who bent over backwards? Where would you go?

Some people don't get it. Some do. Next time I'm dealing with those who do.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until I actually see my orders show up, I'm not buying anything online anymore.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    There are 2 online retailers I trust most, one being CCOM and another I shall not mention. Both are very personal and quick with responses and shipping. I like to think that you can judge a retailer by its stock. The cheaper the stogies, the worse the retailer is (ie, knowledge, customer service, actually caring). I'd only be critical of retailers and quiet about the good competitors (For CCOMs sake let's just be critical of every retailer).
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately a lot of these great deal places are drop shipped! So yes it takes forever!!!!! I've heard a lot of bad things regarding certain retailers and seem to stick to what I know!! Ccom is a great place to be and if they don't have something well they will surely try!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    0patience:
    Until I actually see my orders show up, I'm not buying anything online anymore.
    I said that too until I saw the MOW Puro Authentico's go for a low price on the sprint sale. :x
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had problems online with ordering. I don't order much anymore but I usually get stuff through ccom, as they have always got what I needed. Sometimes I will order from another place though as I do like to support other places. I've got about 4 others I deal with and never any problems. I've ordered from a few others as well. I don't know where some of you guys have ordered before and had problems but other than the T - place you can usually find good references for shops at other forums. I still think ccom has the best reps (Andy, the BEARD) though maybe it's because I deal with them more.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have been dealing directly with the one and only "Beard" lately and it has never been better.