Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Mississippi River is drying up!

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
Don't believe me look it up. The word is the Mississippi will be closed to commercial navigation in December above Cairo IL,when they shut off half the water coming out of the Missouri River . This is normal procedure unfortunately we are already expierencing record low water conditions. I doubt any of the small towing companies will survive. And the big ones will have massive layoffs. Not to mention the tens of thousands of people who make their living in one way or another from river transportation. This is expected to be a national economic disaster that's unparalleled. Our only hope is if congress or the President forces the corp of engineers to keep the Missouri flowing. This is the first time in my 30 Years working boats that I've ever feared losing my job.

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The glacier that feeds the Ganges is also nearly melted, which will deprive huge populations of their only source of water.
    Hey, why don't we endorse fracking? You know, pump water into the ground to lubricate the tectonic plates so we'll have earthquakes, I mean "natural" gas, so we won't have to do something sensible like replace "fossil" fuel with either solar or nuclear energy.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    The glacier that feeds the Ganges is also nearly melted, which will deprive huge populations of their only source of water.
    Hey, why don't we endorse fracking? You know, pump water into the ground to lubricate the tectonic plates so we'll have earthquakes, I mean "natural" gas, so we won't have to do something sensible like replace "fossil" fuel with either solar or nuclear energy.
    WTF?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Climate change is happening. The results are going to impact the US in very un-expected ways, and this is probably one of them. We have enjoyed plentiful water throughout our short history, but that may be changing, and that prospect will impact our agriculture and our economy in ways that we will not enjoy so much.

http://nation.time.com/2012/08/23/the-big-dry-up-where-the-missouri-and-the-mississippi-meet/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHAshrZTfo
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your situation, brother. Hopefully you & your company makes it through ok.
    I know the reservoirs around here are about 15-20 below normal and most of the "water releases" have been cancelled this summer.

This problem will only get worse in the future, as demand increases for this finite resource. Heck, the mighty Colorado has not reached the ocean on a regular basis since the 90s....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    global warming is a myth!
  • Options
    Hydrologists and agronomist's all agree the Midwest is drying up, Texas too, weather is changing and we are not changing with it. Forestry is seeing plants and trees growing in zones and altitiudes never before recorded. Is it global warming or the earth begining to change its axis as it has, what every 25 or did I read 50 thousand years? It is a fact the earth does this science just doesnt know if it happens quickly or over a period of decade or more. The amount of water in the world is the same as it has always been, it just has been reallocated, why haven't we built desalination plants near major cities to relieve the drain we put on our fresh water? Water is where it is at, it has been the center of civilization since time eternal and will remain so. Hi Ho!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
  • Options
    This needs posting. Its from Jurassic Park!

"You think man can destroy the planet? What intoxicating vanity. Let me tell you about our planet. Earth is four-and-a-half-billion-years-old. There’s been life on it for nearly that long, 3.8 billion years. Bacteria first; later the first multicellular life, then the first complex creatures in the sea, on the land. Then finally the great sweeping ages of animals, the amphibians, the dinosaurs, at last the mammals, each one enduring millions on millions of years, great dynasties of creatures rising, flourishing, dying away — all this against a background of continuous and violent upheaval. Mountain ranges thrust up, eroded away, cometary impacts, volcano eruptions, oceans rising and falling, whole continents moving, an endless, constant, violent change, colliding, buckling to make mountains over millions of years. Earth has survived everything in its time. It will certainly survive us. If all the nuclear weapons in the world went off at once and all the plants, all the animals died and the earth was sizzling hot for a hundred thousand years, life would survive, somewhere: under the soil, frozen in Arctic ice. Sooner or later, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would spread again. The evolutionary process would begin again. It might take a few billion years for life to regain its present variety. Of course, it would be very different from what it is now, but the earth would survive our folly, only we would not. If the ozone layer gets thinner, ultraviolet radiation sears the earth, so what? Ultraviolet radiation is good for life. It’s powerful energy. It promotes mutation, change. Many forms of life will thrive with more UV radiation. Many others will die out. Do you think this is the first time that’s happened? Think about oxygen. Necessary for life now, but oxygen is actually a metabolic poison, a corrosive gas, like fluorine. When oxygen was first produced as a waste product by certain plant cells some three billion years ago, it created a crisis for all other life on earth. Those plants were polluting the environment, exhaling a lethal gas. Earth eventually had an atmosphere incompatible with life. Nevertheless, life on earth took care of itself. In the thinking of the human being a hundred years is a long time. A hundred years ago we didn’t have cars, airplanes, computers or vaccines. It was a whole different world, but to the earth, a hundred years is nothing. A million years is nothing. This planet lives and breathes on a much vaster scale. We can’t imagine its slow and powerful rhythms, and we haven’t got the humility to try. We’ve been residents here for the blink of an eye. If we’re gone tomorrow, the earth will not miss us."
  • Options
    beatnic:
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
    At's Riaght. It's a liberal lie, & it aint a gonna happen 'cause science is a liberal lie too & we hate the guvermint & we're gonna seceede, 'cause it's all a liberal lie. Yep Yesseriee Bob.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    This needs posting. Its from Jurassic Park!

"You think man can destroy the planet? What intoxicating vanity. Let me tell you about our planet. Earth is four-and-a-half-billion-years-old. There’s been life on it for nearly that long, 3.8 billion years. Bacteria first; later the first multicellular life, then the first complex creatures in the sea, on the land. Then finally the great sweeping ages of animals, the amphibians, the dinosaurs, at last the mammals, each one enduring millions on millions of years, great dynasties of creatures rising, flourishing, dying away — all this against a background of continuous and violent upheaval. Mountain ranges thrust up, eroded away, cometary impacts, volcano eruptions, oceans rising and falling, whole continents moving, an endless, constant, violent change, colliding, buckling to make mountains over millions of years. Earth has survived everything in its time. It will certainly survive us. If all the nuclear weapons in the world went off at once and all the plants, all the animals died and the earth was sizzling hot for a hundred thousand years, life would survive, somewhere: under the soil, frozen in Arctic ice. Sooner or later, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would spread again. The evolutionary process would begin again. It might take a few billion years for life to regain its present variety. Of course, it would be very different from what it is now, but the earth would survive our folly, only we would not. If the ozone layer gets thinner, ultraviolet radiation sears the earth, so what? Ultraviolet radiation is good for life. It’s powerful energy. It promotes mutation, change. Many forms of life will thrive with more UV radiation. Many others will die out. Do you think this is the first time that’s happened? Think about oxygen. Necessary for life now, but oxygen is actually a metabolic poison, a corrosive gas, like fluorine. When oxygen was first produced as a waste product by certain plant cells some three billion years ago, it created a crisis for all other life on earth. Those plants were polluting the environment, exhaling a lethal gas. Earth eventually had an atmosphere incompatible with life. Nevertheless, life on earth took care of itself. In the thinking of the human being a hundred years is a long time. A hundred years ago we didn’t have cars, airplanes, computers or vaccines. It was a whole different world, but to the earth, a hundred years is nothing. A million years is nothing. This planet lives and breathes on a much vaster scale. We can’t imagine its slow and powerful rhythms, and we haven’t got the humility to try. We’ve been residents here for the blink of an eye. If we’re gone tomorrow, the earth will not miss us."
    Man will most certainly not destroy the planet, but man may very well make the planet uninhabitable for man.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So man has created global warming? It isn't just a cycle that the earth goes through?
    I'm confused. I thought that the planet went through these cycles pretty regularly.
    It seems once again I'm out of touch with things.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    So man has created global warming? It isn't just a cycle that the earth goes through?
    I'm confused. I thought that the planet went through these cycles pretty regularly.
    It seems once again I'm out of touch with things.
    Yes, it certainly does.
  • Options
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
    At's Riaght. It's a liberal lie, & it aint a gonna happen 'cause science is a liberal lie too & we hate the guvermint & we're gonna seceede, 'cause it's all a liberal lie. Yep Yesseriee Bob.
    Man made global warming is a hoax. Until someone produces the scientific evidence that shows that an increase in CO2 into the atmosphere can change the temperature of the atmosphere, I'm unconvinced. Did you know that the Antarctic Ice sheet is now larger than any time in recent history. Of course, you'll site me reasons that this too is a result of global warming. Yes, I know. The sky is falling!!!!!
  • Options
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
    Man made global warming is a hoax. Until someone produces the scientific evidence that shows that an increase in CO2 into the atmosphere can change the temperature of the atmosphere, I'm unconvinced. Did you know that the Antarctic Ice sheet is now larger than any time in recent history. Of course, you'll site me reasons that this too is a result of global warming. Yes, I know. The sky is falling!!!!!
    "Throughout its long history, Earth has warmed and cooled time and again. Climate has changed when the planet received more or less sunlight due to subtle shifts in its orbit, as the atmosphere or surface changed, or when the Sun’s energy varied. But in the past century, another force has started to influence Earth’s climate: humanity."
    - NASA Earth Observatory

A good place to start...^^^^

• Options
    jgibv:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
    "Throughout its long history, Earth has warmed and cooled time and again. Climate has changed when the planet received more or less sunlight due to subtle shifts in its orbit, as the atmosphere or surface changed, or when the Sun’s energy varied. But in the past century, another force has started to influence Earth’s climate: humanity."
    - NASA Earth Observatory

It is indeed, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr. Beatnick will think NASA is just another socalistic ferral gummit waste of time and money. Thar aint no science behind no global warmin. It's all a liberal lie to take away his car. Once they git his car, they'll try to git his gun too.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kind of strange how half the scientists say it is a man-made problem and half say it's natural.
    I've seen tons of information from both sides showing their "facts" on why it is or isn't.
    In some cases, scientists from the same office argue the case. It's kind of comical.

Can I say with absolute certainty that it isn't man-made global warming? No. Can I say it is? No.

It's up to each individual to sift through all the crap and make their own decision.
    But one should keep in mind that common sense should play a large part in making that decision.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Denying climate change is totally up to whomever. That said, I find it rather similar to people who denied the roundness of the earth for hundreds and even thousands of years due to "lack of evidence". Trouble was that there was evidence, and even more as the years passed by.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jgibv:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
    - NASA Earth Observatory

It is indeed, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr. Beatnick will think NASA is just another socalistic ferral gummit waste of time and money. Thar aint no science behind no global warmin. It's all a liberal lie to take away his car. Once they git his car, they'll try to git his gun too.
    I've never known anyone to so easily label people. You've called me a lot of things, and even threatened me with personal face time. I'll take it with a grain of salt. NASA??? Hello? You send a URL for an article that quotes the IPCC??? The guys in charge of the hoax? Get real!! I ask for science. Isn't NASA the Agency with the Muslim outreach program? And by the way, I'm an old peacenik from the 70s and have never even used a firearm, much less owned one.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    jgibv:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
    - NASA Earth Observatory

I've never known anyone to so easily label people. You've called me a lot of things, and even threatened me with personal face time. I'll take it with a grain of salt. NASA??? Hello? You send a URL for an article that quotes the IPCC??? The guys in charge of the hoax? Get real!! I ask for science. Isn't NASA the Agency with the Muslim outreach program? And by the way, I'm an old peacenik from the 70s and have never even used a firearm, much less owned one.
    "You've called me a lot of things, and even threatened me with personal face time."

With all due respect, sir, you are a liar. I have never threatened you, or anyone else with anything. Every time you repeat this lie, I will call you a liar for repeating it.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    Denying climate change is totally up to whomever. That said, I find it rather similar to people who denied the roundness of the earth for hundreds and even thousands of years due to "lack of evidence". Trouble was that there was evidence, and even more as the years passed by.
    Vulchor. The climate may be changing. In fact, I'm sure it is. Its natural. What I deny is the claim that an increase in CO2 emissions causes the atmospheric temperature to increase. It is the whole basis for reducing oil based energy on this planet. However, it has yet to be proven that increased CO2 causes the temperature to increase. And its' this position that is used in the political landscape across the entire planet. When science gets corrupted by politics, we all lose. JMO.
  • Options
    "... Isn't NASA the Agency with the Muslim outreach program? ..."

No beat, it isn't. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration - NASA. Their Appolo Space program put a man on the moon. You remember - Astronauts, "The Right Stuff", and scientists in space. They've put robots on Mars. They are responsible for the Hubble Telescope, and all of the WEATHER SATALITES that record the earth's weather, and they measure the conditions of the atmosphere, and take note of any CHANGES that are happening.

It's called science, not socialism.

• Options
    JDH:
    "... Isn't NASA the Agency with the Muslim outreach program? ..."

No beat, it isn't. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration - NASA. Their Appolo Space program put a man on the moon. You remember - Astronauts, "The Right Stuff", and scientists in space. They've put robots on Mars. They are responsible for the Hubble Telescope, and all of the WEATHER SATALITES that record the earth's weather, and they measure the conditions of the atmosphere, and take note of any CHANGES that are happening.

It's called science, not socialism.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2010/07/white-house-nasa-defend-comments-about-nasa-outreach-to-muslim-world-criticized-by-conservatives/
  • Options
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    jgibv:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
    - NASA Earth Observatory

"You've called me a lot of things, and even threatened me with personal face time."

With all due respect, sir, you are a liar. I have never threatened you, or anyone else with anything. Every time you repeat this lie, I will call you a liar for repeating it.
    You know what you said. I needn't go back and post it again.
  • Options
    Damn, Ricky You didn't think that innocent post would lead to this, did you? Sorry. I'm gonna step out and end this before someone makes a threat or contacts Andrew. LOL. Sorry for the hijack.
  • Options
    Yeah no ***! WTH happened to my thread. I was just trying to warn people to be prepared for some serious consequences if this river closure happens. 70 percent of all the grain is transported by barge thru this section of the river to reach the gulf to be loaded on ships.it takes over 100 trucks or 17 rail cars to carry 1 barge load of grain. We carry 15- 35 barges and more at a time. I doubt our infrastructure is prepared for this. Let alone the huge increase in the cost of shipping by truck and rail.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Yeah no ***! WTH happened to my thread. I was just trying to warn people to be prepared for some serious consequences if this river closure happens. 70 percent of all the grain is transported by barge thru this section of the river to reach the gulf to be loaded on ships.it takes over 100 trucks or 17 rail cars to carry 1 barge load of grain. We carry 15- 35 barges and more at a time. I doubt our infrastructure is prepared for this. Let alone the huge increase in the cost of shipping by truck and rail.
    And right you are.
    I'm not sure how we got to man-made global warming here, I know I didn't imply it. My comment on the Ganges was something told to me by an acquaintance of mine who used to be an Army hired scientist studying weather phenomena of various sorts. Also a member of the Cato institute, just for the record.
    1. Global warming is a fact, and yes, I'm referring to the cycles the Earth has always gone through, long before we inhabited the planet.
    2. No one is going to help us, but us.
    3. Turning it into a political battleground gets us nowhere.
    4. We do contribute, although I believe our contribution to be negligible.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    +1

With grain prices already high this wouldn't be good, food costs would soar.
    And I'm with you, Ricky - aside from the cost increases -- I doubt there's enough trains/rail cars available to "pick-up the slack" and, correct me if I'm wrong. but isn't there already a shortage of truck drivers?

• Options
    jgibv:
    Rhamlin:
    +1

With grain prices already high this wouldn't be good, food costs would soar.
    And I'm with you, Ricky - aside from the cost increases -- I doubt there's enough trains/rail cars available to "pick-up the slack" and, correct me if I'm wrong. but isn't there already a shortage of truck drivers?

i believe your right.
  • Options
    webmost:
    Amos Umwhat:
    WTF?

Heard some more on this yesterday on NPR. Pres. Obama is being asked to step in and mediate, or take some kind of action. South Dakota is particularly reluctant to release water into the Missouri, as are the other surrounding states who feel it is more important to pump their water deep underground to break the natural gas loose and maintain profits and the resultant taxable incomes.

**** Durbin is advising Obama not to get involved.

Of all the factors involved in the lower water levels the Mississippi is experiencing, this is about the only one we can control. I'm all for business, and governments breaking even, but once the water's gone, how do you get it back?

Meanwhile, Army Corp of Engineers is having trouble keeping a 9 foot channel open on the mississippi, which means enormous amounts of goods cannot be transported.

• Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    The climate changes. Yup it does. All you nay sayers are wacky cuz the climate does change. It was warm here yesterday and now it is cold. That sure was a change.

Global warming...... you bet....... happens all the time......

So what caused the warming long long ago? Was it all the cars? Coal fired industrial plants? Man made? Natural change? I would like your opinion.

(oh and for all you 'scientists' who say this chart is bogus cuz the thermometer didnt exist that far back and that there are no records, well, this data (which you may say is bogus) is based on other scientists who study global temperature proxies (sediments, boreholes, pollen, oxygen-18, stalagmites, magnesium to calcium ratios, algae, cave formation, etc. over a wide geographical range)