Home Cigar 101

Can cigars be too moist?

This could be a dumb question but....currently have the cigar jar humidor. When I recieve my cigars they are firm but not too dry and flaky. After some time in the jar they become very soft and the wrapper tends to peel off a little. Also while smoking its difficult sometimes to keep lit. Does this mean that the cigars are too moist?

Comments

• kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    Cigars can definitely become too moist.

But reading your post, I can think of two likely culprits.

1)  What kind of humidification are you using in the jar (if any)?  Where did you get it from?

2)  Do you have a hygrometer measuring the temp / humidity in the jar?  If yes, what is the reading?  If no, how and where are you storing the cigar?  Is it being stored in an environment that is above 70F during the day, or exposed to direct sunlight?
  • cturnbullcturnbull Posts: 6
    I have the cigar jar from Cigar.com and I use the device that came with it. Its a small round plastic case with an absorber inside. I do not have a hygrometer and I want one. I will have to start looking around to see if  I can find one locally.

The cigars stay on my desk in my bedroom. The room stays pretty cool and the cigars are rarely exposed to direct sunlight.
    Ah, ok... what you are describing is the "pillow pack", correct?  It's a small 2" rectangle partially made of blue plastic filled with a gel?

If that's the case, I would get rid of it.  Those things should hold humidity to around 70% (the ideal).  But I've had some of mine malfunction, and send the humidity in my humdity up to 80%. 

I would recommend that you replace it with some other kind of humidification... either a Boveda pack or a Drymistat tube.  They both cost only a few dollars each either online or from a brick and mortar cigar store, and are much more reliable than the pillow pack you are using.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kent1146:
    I would recommend that you replace it with some other kind of humidification... either a Boveda pack or a Drymistat tube.
    i agree with this. id go with the boveda first to see if you like to stick with cigars. they are a bit cheaper.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    No I believe the cigar jar comes with a sponge humidifier attached to the lid or something. Either way I agree with these guys look into a Boveda pack.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    he's not talking about a humipillow. What he has is round, im guessing foam puck...still, replace with a drymistat tube or humicare tube since you have a jar humi. and get a hygrometer. I was worried about those jars when I saw them, since they let light in...
    Ah, ok.  If it's a foam puck, then it makes even more sense.  He probably just put water in the puck, instead of 50/50 mix of PG and water.  No PG would definitely send the humidity above 70%.

Yeah, definitely go out to a store and replace that humidification device with something like a boveda pack, or some kind of tube of gel.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    even with PG the puck is a fairly unreliable humidification device.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've got one of those jars from Ccom (which came with a really great sampler) and the RH in mine would go high consistently even with 50/50 solution and even with no puck at all. I ended up removing the puck entirely and also removed the rubber gasket on the lid and clamped it down without the gasket and that finally worked. I had a calibrated digital hygrometer in there to monitor. Different humidification devices that absorb humidity as well as give it could be a nice solution but I went to the tupper-dor for my overflow before I got to this stage.
  • cturnbullcturnbull Posts: 6
    Ya that is what I have is a puck. Its just got a sponge and it attaches to the lid. I will look into these different kind of humidification devices. Sounds like all you guys have been through this stuff before.