Home General Discussion

Suggestions for my friends who are newbies

So I have two friends who are getting in cigars and I am full of ideas for each, but was wondering what you guys would suggest.

Friend #1 Doesn't have tons of money to spend on a box and has a new 50 ct humi. Won't smoke extremely often. Super new and doesn't know what he likes, but is open to what won't break the bank. I am thinking a House Blends sampler to see what he likes.

Friend #2 has a 100ct humi and is a little more knowledgeable and would smoke more often. He told me he likes like lighter cigars with plenty of flavor. He mentioned he likes the Perdomo 10th Champagne. I'm not completely sure what to suggest for him since I'm not a big light cigar guy. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Comments

• WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Friend one, deff the house blends. It'll give him somewhat of an idea of what he might like, also the "2nds" are pretty good for beginners, just make sure they remember what they got and are smoking lol. I would show him the daily deals and samplers this site has. Also maybe the sprint sale? I had good luck on there today, just tell him to sit down for about an hour or so and check it out...and don't blame you for all the $$ he spent lol. Friend 2, I would go the suggested section of this site and look there, check out the prices...etc. I'm not a big light cigar smoker either but this is what some of the guys at my work do. I have a few lighter smokes like Macanudo's and Mark Twains for when some of my buddies that hang out don't want anything gut punching.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I've found myself wanting stronger cigars lately until I recently had a few on the milder side. I forgot how much I like mild/medium sticks. Some favorites of mine would be Angelenos by Fuente, Mario Palomino, MOW Virtue, or CAO Gold. I have some 5 Vegas gold nuggets on the way that I'll report back on.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Yes please let us know pelirrojo about the nuggets, and as far as your friends, sounds like you did good. Goto the "expert picks" section on CCOM and they have a sampler of "smooth summer smokes" or something like that!
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Agreed on the house blends for the first guy. For the second, I suggest 5-10 of the Perdomo Champagne he likes plus a sampler of other connecticuts. Pretty sure ccom has a sampler called best of connecticut. That way he can expand his horizons but keep coming back to one he knows he likes. It could be they end up being too mild for him eventually and a string of sampler cigars might not be to his liking. If he has a Champagne to try again he'll know if his pallet has changed or if he just hasn't found a good one lately.

The best of connecticut is linked Here, but of course he could also e-mail The Beard for what would likely be an even better sampler.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Agreed on the house blends for the first guy. For the second, I suggest 5-10 of the Perdomo Champagne he likes plus a sampler of other connecticuts. Pretty sure ccom has a sampler called best of connecticut. That way he can expand his horizons but keep coming back to one he knows he likes. It could be they end up being too mild for him eventually and a string of sampler cigars might not be to his liking. If he has a Champagne to try again he'll know if his pallet has changed or if he just hasn't found a good one lately.

The best of connecticut is linked Here, but of course he could also e-mail The Beard for what would likely be an even better sampler.
    +1, yeah, what he said!!!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    Ken Light:

+1, yeah, what he said!!!
    +2
    House blends for the guy #1 for sure. If you want to do a second sampler maybe the "best in show" "best of nicaragua 2" "dirty dozen 2" or any of the other "best of" samplers if you want more variety without breaking the bank

And for guy #2, e-mail the Beard - he'll hook it up.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Right now, cyber monday deals are good to the 3rd...and there is 10 Avo classic robo for $40. I'd suggest that to anyone....specifically noobs.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    House blends are perfect. I like the house blends mega sampler, so that he has three of each to try. Those he hates on the first stick, that gives him two he can gift someone else. That introduces him to the super fun of giving cigars away. Those he does like on the first try, that gives him two more he can savor.

For mild, I'd go:

Cusano Xclusivo Perfecto. Terrific
    San Lotano CT
    Room 101 Serie C 305c -- yum
    Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• mwebermweber Posts: 157
    The 5 Vegas sampler would be a good one too. I recommend that to all of my noob friends that want to start taste testing things. I think they are pretty good sticks for the money.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hate to say it but the first guy should like 5vegas!! As for the second guy af Hemingway or anything af should fit the bill
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    If you r buddy likes mild connies the Champagne is probally one of the best cigars your gonna find for the price. The best advice I have is to have them buy samplers in their price range that fits their taste in the flavor strenght department. 5 Vegas is a great place to start cant beat the price and the avo classic Catfish metioned great pricing all around. Best in show sampler looks nice and for you buddy on budget the sol cubano sampler with the origianl and special dark this is one of the best smokes for the money right now. Both have the same filler blend but the special dark just has a wrapper with a higher primming but its not overly powerful. C.com has it and for the price of the 8 smokes its worth it. There are some other good connie samplers but their sold out right now. the best of Aj is a nice one two gives you the whole spectrum of flavor/wrapper/strength. Hope this helps.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    House blend sampler is pretty good, because it gives you a starting point and you don't waste a lot on cigars you wont like. From there, you can sort of look at which they like, and branch out in that direction. In terms of when I start people off, I generally go with a 5 Vegas Gold/Maduro, Perdomo Champagne (which deservedly gets a lot of love to start) the Rocky Patel 1990, Oliva G, and Nica Libre.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Another thought is have your friend sign up for the C.com introductory deal where they get 10 'branded' cigars plus a starter humidor for $30. That's how I got into this stinkin' hobby and the selection gave me good insights into the heavily advertised brands and into the styles that I like (and disliked).
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    The Avo take five is another wonderful sampler. Two conny, one habano, one Sumatra, one Maduro, all Domincan and they all rock.